PDA

View Full Version : Doing pinch weld mod tomorrow....

JumpmasterRT
11-03-2012, 04:15 PM
But I can't find my heat gun.

I've worn a hole through the plastic on the passenger side and I'm afraid I'll shred a tire or tear the rear AC lines. How important is are the fender skirts to keeping those lines safe?

I'm thinking of making an aluminum shield similar to Phil's here (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152107250523539&set=o.169621169782883&type=1&theater) but can't find a 12g aluminum sheet at the home improvement centers.

Advice?

Matt
11-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I updated the how-to with an alternate method. The past few pinch welds I haven't used a heat gun.... just a few self tapping screws and you're set.

The liner does a good job of keeping water/dirt/debris off those lines. How big of a hole do you have?

JumpmasterRT
11-04-2012, 12:18 PM
This ain't goin so well...

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Matt
11-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Elaborate...what are you struggling with?

07JeepXK
11-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Yea let us know. I'm sure we can help you out.

JumpmasterRT
11-04-2012, 01:28 PM
The problem is not having a garage to work in or ready access to all of my tools. Anytime that I work on my vehicle it takes extreme preplanning. The good news is the passenger side is almost done, I just have to go buy the right rivet tool, melt back the liner and reinstall. That self tapping screw and tree clip idea is great but the liner doesn't even touch until you heat shape it which I'm going to try and do with an iron, some wax paper and aluminum foil since I don't have a heat gun. I took pictures along the way so they will be up tonight.

JumpmasterRT
11-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Well, I started with the passenger side because it's the side that gives us all the problems and it was the side wearing through.

After getting the wheel off, I noticed this :eek: That's not right... Not sure what to do about it though. :confused:

Getting it all cut and bent was a pain using a hacksaw and Dremel but I finally got it done and painted.

Trying to use the iron and tinfoil method didn't work... It melted it in small areas but never made it malleable so I'll have to find my heat gun to do it right.

I need to go get the POM rivet gun because mine didn't work so I put a couple of push rivets in there to hold it until tomorrow when I can run by HF and get one.

Initial test drive sounds WAY better. The minimal rubbing is REALLY hard to hear.

I removed the fender flair to get a little better access. I don't know if anyone said that before but I didn't read it so I thought I'd mention it.

Matt
11-04-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm having trouble seeing... whats your issue with your strut?

FYI your ABS line is off too, should pop that back into the holder.

JumpmasterRT
11-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Yeah, I just looked at the Bilstein website.. it's supposed to be like that. The ABS line clip needs replaced, it keeps popping off.

Matt
11-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Its supposed to be like what?? You never mentioned what you thought the issue was lol... but I guess its alright since I dont see anything wrong :p

For the ABS line, you probably need some slack in the line. The rubber grommets aren't secured in place. Take some of the slack away from the frame/plug side and move it towards the spindle side so it doesn't get pulled off at full droop.

07JeepXK
11-04-2012, 05:28 PM
I didn't see anything wrong with the pic he posted on facebook

Matt
11-04-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm guessing its the same pic?

JumpmasterRT
11-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Same pic yes.... not sure who posts where so I put it in both places.

Matt
11-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Yeah.... lol im not a huge fan of FB. I usually only check my FB when i get a notification that i've been tagged in a post or something, and I almost never check group pages (forums are better for documenting good information IMO... can't "search" for thread on FB so a lot of good info that's posted there just gets lost)