PDA

View Full Version : Trans filter change

brand0n
11-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Hey guys. i did filter change about 3 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago it started shiffting really hard. do you think i messed something up? if the collector is touching bottom of pan, would this cause hard shifting? i used wix filters and castrol atf+4. im getting no codes.

Matt
11-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Did you put a new filter seal on? And if yes, were you able to get the old filter seal out?

If you put the filter seal on without removing the other one, you need to pull it apart... The collector should not be touching the bottom of the pan so that leads me to believe you didn't remove the original seal.

mrnavy2
11-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Hey Matt, what do you mean by the filter seal? You TALKING about the O Ring?
Did you put a new filter seal on? And if yes, were you able to get the told filter seal out?

If you put the filter seal on without removing the other one, you need to pull it apart... The collector should not be touching the bottom of the pan so that leads me to believe you didn't remove the original seal.

Matt
11-07-2012, 04:50 PM
It's not really an o-ring. It looks like this:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/11/Transfilter14JPG-1.jpg

brand0n
11-07-2012, 05:30 PM
i don't really know if it's touching, just through research, heard it could be a common mistake some people make. thinking back ,cant really remember if there was one or not. if there was i would of removed it. if it is touching pan wouldn't i get a code or something?
ONCE AGAIN....THANK YOU

Matt
11-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Getting that seal out is a PITA... and even popping the new one in is pretty difficult if it doesn't go in perfectly straight.

If you can't remember, that means you didn't take the old one out. So if you might have put the new one on, your problem is you're not pulling fluid into the trans properly.

brand0n
11-07-2012, 05:39 PM
$&%# !

mrnavy2
11-07-2012, 06:09 PM
I have rubber O ring that came with my filter. Nothing like what you are showing. May be that is just for the Hemi?
It's not really an o-ring. It looks like this:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/11/Transfilter14JPG-1.jpg

Matt
11-07-2012, 06:17 PM
There are two filters in our trans (4.7L and 5.7L have the same trans)... are you thinking of the one that looks like an oil filter?

Every single trans I've worked on has the type of seal pictured above on the pickup filter.

07JeepXK
11-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah that gold color seal was a PITA!!! Just getting the old one out was hard. Then I bent the new one putting it in and had to buy a whole new filter just to get another seal. You would know if you swapped out the old one for the new one.

mrnavy2
11-08-2012, 11:26 PM
There are two filters in our trans (4.7L and 5.7L have the same trans)... are you thinking of the one that looks like an oil filter?

Every single trans I've worked on has the type of seal pictured above on the pickup filter.
I will check tommorrow. I have not changed the fluid yet. I will check in the box of my 2 filters. I have both, or it a separate piece I have to purchase?

Matt
11-09-2012, 04:18 AM
They're two different part numbers you need to purchase.

07JeepXK
11-09-2012, 06:44 AM
One filter looks like your oil filter, just smaller and it's silver if I recall correctly. The other is a flat filter (the filter in Matt's posted the picture of)