PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablets

BonesWK
11-13-2012, 07:04 AM
So Im thinking of getting my first Tablet for Christmas. Anyone have any suggestions for a brand or model? Sorry, no apple. Im an android guy.

Im looking to use it for basic web browsing, apps/games, stream music etc over wifi at home. We have a laptop that can be used for our "productivity" work. I am somewhat of a nerd and like to have the cutting edge technology (if I can afford it)

I was looking at the
Nexus 10 (my top choice right now)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Asus Transformer

Thoughts/Suggestions? Any brand/model im overlooking that you have had a good experience with?

cabledog25
11-13-2012, 07:19 AM
I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (its the smaller version of the Galaxy Note 10.1) and i love it.

DetroitMarauder
11-13-2012, 05:07 PM
My dad has the Nexus 10. I've used it a few times. It's fast and has a great picture. The only issue is you have to be careful of what wireless router you have. It constantly cycles between connected and disconnected. My phone does the same thing while I'm at my parent's house (Galaxy S3) but doesn't when I'm home. He's been on with customer support, I've played with it, and he's sent it back twice and no luck so far. My mom's Kindle Fire works flawlessly, though she uses it mainly to read.

jjt250
11-13-2012, 07:18 PM
My dad has the Nexus 10. I've used it a few times. It's fast and has a great picture. The only issue is you have to be careful of what wireless router you have. It constantly cycles between connected and disconnected. My phone does the same thing while I'm at my parent's house (Galaxy S3) but doesn't when I'm home. He's been on with customer support, I've played with it, and he's sent it back twice and no luck so far. My mom's Kindle Fire works flawlessly, though she uses it mainly to read.

Do you mean Nexus 7? The Nexus 10 just came out today.

I used the Transformer before and had high expectations but it felt laggy and a bit unfinished IMO. Also the optional keyboard was kinda cramped and not very usable. I ended up with the Nexus 7 which I absolutely love. However, if you're looking for a 10 inch and set on Android, definitely go with the Nexus 10. Amazing screen, extremely fast, and it's a Nexus which means it'll get all the latest software updates first. I'm personally not a fan of Samsung and this is coming from someone with a Galaxy Nexus. I think their hardware feels a bit cheep. My brother had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I was never a fan. He's buying a Nexus 10 instead now.

Edited: Forgot to mention, the Nexus 10 is made by Samsung but it was developed with Google and is better thought out. I don't think there is any other better Android tablet out right now.

BonesWK
11-14-2012, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. The more I think about it, the more the Nexus 10 seems like the better choice.

I was looking yesterday more and I think I had narrowed it down to the 10 and the Galaxy tab 2 10.1 . Im thinking im going with the nexus though. We'll see what "santa" brings come Dec 25th.

cabledog25
11-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Good luck with your choice.

BonesWK
11-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Im still torn on the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 or Nexus 10. I do want the flexibility of having ports on my tablet... but nexus 10 is cutting edge. We'll see what happpens

jjt250
11-15-2012, 06:58 PM
At $400 and the cutting edge technology in the Nexus 10, it's a no brainer to me. If you absolutely need ports, though, I'd get the Transformer Infinity Pad with the keyboard dock.

BonesWK
11-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Curveball, I went with the Asus Transformer TF300t 32MB. All the ports I want, quad core processor etc. Seems like a pretty decent bang for the buck at $350.

http://www.asus.com/Tablet/Transformer_Pad/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_TF300T/

Wont get it until Santa drops it off, but im pumped about it.

jjt250
11-16-2012, 11:09 AM
I think that's a pretty good choice. Sounds exactly what you wanted. Good luck!