PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Manifold Leak

BonesWK
11-30-2012, 06:40 AM
Whelp guys, it has happened, I have the dreaded 1st Gen 4.7 exhaust leak at the manifold.

Ugh, the freaking jeep wreaks of exhaust when it sitting still and I cant have that ish going on with my baby in the car. Looks like I need to prepare for a 1000 bill from the dealer. I dont think any other shop will be able to do the job, and I dont think I can do the job either - im not that mechanically inclined.

Anyone have someone other than a dealer fix this?

Matt
11-30-2012, 06:51 AM
A good local mechanic should be able to handle it. couldn't hurt to get a few quotes.

06JeepXKHEMI
11-30-2012, 07:01 AM
Do your research, from what a lot of people have posted, especially on JF.com it may not be as difficult with a buddies help..

BonesWK
11-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Thanks guys, yep Im looking around JF and asking a few local jeepers for some help or at least info on a decent fair priced shop locally.

I should know this already, these things happen at the worst times.

BonesWK
11-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Stopping by on lunch today to order the gasket and the new studs - is that all I need?

Im going to go ahead and order them first just to have them if I get some local help

Matt
11-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Order a package of the plastic rivets (the part number is in the pinch weld thread).

07JeepXK
11-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Yup all you need is a gasket, new manifold bolts and the plastic fender well liner rivets (removing the inner fender well makes the job easier). I wish I lived close to you. I'd have it all fixed for you in a few hours.

BonesWK
11-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Yup all you need is a gasket, new manifold bolts and the plastic fender well liner rivets (removing the inner fender well makes the job easier). I wish I lived close to you. I'd have it all fixed for you in a few hours.

Hell, Drive on down here and visit the beach by way of fixing my manifold! haha

I got the Manifold, Gasket and bolts (ugh I forgot the rivets) from the dealer $190 - I got the manifold just in case it needs to be changed, if not I can return it.

Just was quoted $100-200 for the whole job??! From a local exhaust/muffler place with a good reputation (38 years in business). Gotta love them good ole boys down here.

Tuesday I get this thing fixed, I can't have this exhaust coming in the cabin with my baby.

07JeepXK
11-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Yeah I forgot to mention the manifold. I just replaced mine on the drivers side along with the gasket and all next bolts back in October. The dealer said whenever they have the 4.7 in for an exhaust leak, they are told to swap out the manifold too, due to it warping.

BonesWK
12-04-2012, 08:56 AM
My rig is at the shop today to get this fixed. I'll let everyone know how it goes, it will probably be there all day.

BonesWK
12-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Big WIN for me. Guys - avoid the dealer and go local!

Shop did the swap for $120 - so I have $310 invested in this repair. I thought it was going to cost $1000! Made my day, I honestly felt bad leaving the place having to pay such a low price for the work they did. I know it was a b**** to get out the 3 broken bolts on that manifold. Good reputable shop at an incredibly fair price, I'll take it.

Matt
12-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Good to know! Glad that worked out for ya

pjmjr508
12-05-2012, 02:14 PM
glad it worked out for you