PDA

View Full Version : hate you guys

brand0n
12-04-2012, 05:45 AM
When i purchased the xk, i thought "here's a vehicle i'm actually not going to mess around with"........however after seeing everyones pics, i have been preoccupied with lifting mine. like i need another one taking away from my harley budget. Talking with the wife the other night about a lift and she laughed and said she knew i would end up doing something sooner or later. sorry going off topic. been on shift for 28hrs straight.
After reading all the posts and comments, decide to do the ome lift. i figure it has 70k and shocks/springs/struts will go any time soon amyways? so first question
1)i have 31.5" in front and 33.75" in rear (ground to fender) will i need a .25" spacer on top of ome?
2) do i really need the hd coils? it will never see any major off road use except occasional forest trails . although badlands is only 4 hr drive from me.
3) are the hds really stiff ride?
4) i've been shopping around and the kit is like $300 more than if i bought the coils,shocks, and struts seperately . does anyone know if the kit includes anything else?
5) SORRY for all the questions

06JeepXKHEMI
12-04-2012, 06:00 AM
First, you wont be disappointed with the OME! Its what I have now, I used to have the Daystar budget lift. You definitely need the HD coils with the weight of the XK, some people have gone with MD and had issues with the front end getting barried under hard breaking. Also if you go with MD you lose approximately 1" of lift. Some people are running the .25" spacer up front and Matt made a set of custom rear spacers as well, but you dont really need the one up front and with it, Matt will tell you, you will lose down travel. The kit no matter how you buy will run about $800 all said and done, its suggested getting new coil isolators to make the swap in and out easier, else you have to take apart the sotck assembly that has 70k on it and install on OME. The HDs do give a stiffer ride over stock but not an uncomfortable one, it feels more stable and I happen to prefer it, its a matter of desired ride and opinion. Hope this helps others will chime in but you wont be disappointed!

brand0n
12-04-2012, 06:22 AM
its suggested getting new coil isolators to make the swap in and out easier, else you have to take apart the sotck assembly
thanks 06jeep. so if i get new isolators i can have a shop assemble strut/coil assembly then just swap it out myself?

07JeepXK
12-04-2012, 06:23 AM
With the weight of the XK I definitely recommend the HD coils. I dont think you will need the extra spacer up front. Im running the OME HD coils with no extra spacer in the front and Matt's 1/2 inch spacer in the rear. My XK sits a little higher in the rear now due to Matt's spacer, but I like that stance so I can either load down the rear with Army gear or tow a trailer and still have the XK sit perfectly level with the extra weight. Prior to Matts spacer my XK was level but I hated the way the rear would squat with weight in the back or while towing.

Like you mentioned, OME is the way to go since eventually you will need need new shocks and struts anyways. The HD coils do make the ride a little stiff but I have not heard one member complain about the ride. I myself prefer it to be a little more stiff then the oem suspension. I purchase all of my OME parts from ok4wd.com because they have great customer service, great prices and they are close to me. I can order using ground shipping and its still at my house the next day. They are out of NJ and im located in NY.

06JeepXKHEMI
12-04-2012, 06:24 AM
Exactly its pretty much what we did, 07JeepXK, he installed for me, but we essentially assembled OME strut/coil and installed. Just make sure you get isolators top/bottom and bump stops, I forgot bump stops and had use stock so it took extra time.

07JeepXK
12-04-2012, 06:25 AM
thanks 06jeep. so if i get new isolators i can have a shop assemble strut/coil assembly then just swap it out myself?

You would need the new OME strut, OME coil, upper and lower coil isolators, the upper strut plate as well as the yellow bump stop to have everything assembled to where you can just swap out assemblies.

Matt
12-04-2012, 06:36 AM
Everything these guys said...

Get OME HD
Get upper/lower isolators, upper mounts and bump stops
Dont need the 1/4" plate.... you can easily add that at a later date if you want. (I installed seans in a dunkin donuts parking lot lol)

...... oh. And you're welcome for being good influences. :)

06JeepXKHEMI
12-04-2012, 06:39 AM
hahaha yea man, this forum creates a hole in the wallet but its a lot of fun and great to see/hear everyones builds and ideas. Thanks to this forum Im now running a tab on a new true dual exhaust set up, thanks Matt!!!

brand0n
12-04-2012, 06:49 AM
i have 31.5" in front and 33.75" in rear (ground to fender). Must be OCD but ome pdf says 50mm in frnt and 55mm in rear (estimated). wish i had a straight on pic of my xk because it looks horrible. maybe my struts are F'd but no other issues just the rake. is this a case of "what they say in the book vs. real world"?

06JeepXKHEMI
12-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Your struts are porbably shot, after OME lift Im at 36.5" all around

Matt
12-04-2012, 06:55 AM
The OME lifts the front more than the rear. Thats the main reason I had to make the rear spacers (or run load leveler shocks)

BonesWK
12-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Lol @ the "I hate you guys"

07JeepXK
12-04-2012, 09:21 AM
I also agree that your front suspension is probably shot, causing it to sit a lot lower then the rear. The OME HD kit will bring the front end up where it needs to be.