PDA

View Full Version : Roof or Bumper Tire carrier... TPMS Issues?

Matt
12-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Not sure if we ever addressed this here.... but a lot of us with 2005-2007 model years have TPMS in the spare tire. So say you want to put a full-size spare on the roof or on a rear bumper carrier, you'd get a warning message since the spare will then be out of range of the rear receiver.

I resolved my issue with the Superchips Flashpaq. The down side is you lose TPMS capability which, to be honest, i kind of liked seeing my pressures in each tire on the dash.

With the Flashpaq the system is completely turned off, as if it doesnt exist.

I'm not sure if Superchips LINQ has this option yet? Would be good to look into though..

pjmjr508
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
are you having the issue with the OEM or aftermarket TPMS sensors?
The reason I ask is because I have mine on top attached to my rack right now, I do not get an error at all about TPMS. Mine reads the PSI on all the tires with out an issue.

Matt
12-05-2012, 05:17 PM
I'm not having an issue now because I disabled the TPMS. But when I took the spare off years ago to do some work I got the "Service TPMS" message on the dash.

Yours doesn't give an error with it on the roof? I never put mine up there but figured it was out of the range. Maybe it's not.....

hoaxci5
12-05-2012, 05:47 PM
I've heard of guys using capped pvc with a TPMS inside of it or something so that they could pressurize the pvc enough to keep from getting the message.

Matt
12-05-2012, 05:51 PM
That would work for our spare. Not sure i'd personally go that route though. Something about pressurized PVC just doesn't sit well with me lol

pjmjr508
12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
That would work for our spare. Not sure i'd personally go that route though. Something about pressurized PVC just doesn't sit well with me lol

2nd that

No I am not getting any errors with the tire on the roof, have all OEM TPMS still. Had them transferred from my Stock wheels to the Rubi's I have on the XK now.

Matt
12-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Good to know!

hoaxci5
12-05-2012, 06:09 PM
PVC is rated for a WHOLE lot more than the 30-40 psi to keep the message off..
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pvc-cpvc-pipes-pressures-d_796.html

Matt
12-05-2012, 06:22 PM
It's more of a mental thing. Something shaped like a pipe bomb, pressurized and strapped somewhere on my vehicle..... it's just not for me. I also drive on a lot of military bases; last thing I need is for them to be training a new guard and select me at random for a quick search lol :eek:

hoaxci5
12-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Fair enough on the bomb part.. I've had my vehicle searched a handful of times for base access, but thats all in the past for me now :)

Matt
12-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Any luck with houses btw? Ya know ours is gonna be on the market next month if you want to come up this way and be neighbors :cool:

hoaxci5
12-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Supposed to close on house attempt #3 next Friday.. I think the commute from your part of town would be a little much for ML. :p

Matt
12-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Supposed to close on house attempt #3 next Friday.. I think the commute from your part of town would be a little much for ML. :p

I'm sure I could find her a job at Lakehurst as a contractor!

Hoping 3rd time's a charm for you guys. It's about time you get settled down..... i'm looking forward to coming down and helping paint

06JeepXKHEMI
12-06-2012, 06:20 AM
This is definitely an interesting thread for me based on my thoughts yesterday. However I only show 4 readings on the TPMS, does this mean my spare doesnt not have one? Also with it being completely out of the vehicle I wouldnt know if I have that error because I need new harnesses for the module mounted on the fender well, douche who owned it before me damaged them when he did his half a$$ pinch weld mod, so Im getting the error anyways. Funny thing is I still get accurate readings on all 4, I check this with my digital Tire Pressure Gauge. I need to get the harnesses fixed I guess just cant find em, have to to do some research.. But back on topic I wouldnt want to turn it off completely, gives good peace of mind knowing whats going on and nice to know if on the roof it would still be read. I was thinking last night maybe Steel Armadillo could come up with a tire mount like the one I posted, seems rather simple to create and obviously would rather throw money to him then some major distributor.. Any thoughts or ideas we could possibly send Jon and see if he'd be interested..

Matt
12-06-2012, 06:28 AM
The spare tire doesnt give a reading on the dash. If it gets low you'll get a "check spare tire" message on the display.

I also like the TPMS system but Chrysler screwed up when they superseded the metal stemmed sensors with the new rubber stemmed version..... the new part numbers dont work with my system so im waiting for a TSB to come out with a fix. Yeah, technically its a "safety" issue so I could force Chrysler to get more involved but I dont have the time nor the patience.

06JeepXKHEMI
12-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Ok I see now, what if Ive been driving without it on the XK at all, Ive got no message that popped up other than my usual Service TPMS, could it be the same message and since it always says it I wouldnt know?

Matt
12-06-2012, 06:56 AM
When you remove it from the vehicle the system no longer sees it and thinks theres a problem.... thats probably whats causing your"service tpms" message

hoaxci5
12-06-2012, 06:57 AM
I don't know which years it matters on, but I can say for sure that my 2007 doesn't care that my spare is flat. I keep it in the stock location, deflated since it's oversized and just carry a compressor.

Matt
12-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Jacob is your spare a steel wheel or a matching alloy wheel? Ive heard that the steel wheels weren't equipped with sensors but thats hearsay on my end.

06JeepXKHEMI
12-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Ive always had the Service TPMS cause of the need of the harness which are smashed up front..

hoaxci5
12-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Mine is a steel, so maybe that's the key point.

Matt
12-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Interesting....

PJ you have an alloy wheel though, right? (Holding out hope that the roof or bumper is still in range for the spare signal...)

pjmjr508
12-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Interesting....

PJ you have an alloy wheel though, right? (Holding out hope that the roof or bumper is still in range for the spare signal...)

I had all 5 with TPMS on the chrome clad wheels, same as yours. Then I went with 5 Rubi's from a 2k9 Rubi W/TPMS on all 5 still. The TPMS were transferred from my old rim's to the new ones.

07JeepXK
12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
I too had a steel wheel spare and my system didnt care that It wasnt with the vehicle. I know that you guys have a more complex system than I do thought since I have a base model 4.7 Liter.