PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Chrysler build a decent front end anymore?!?!?

The_War_Wagon
12-11-2012, 06:33 AM
...asks The War Wagon, after purchasing $720 worth of new lower ball joints for his Commander last week? :mad:

A couple of points:

1) My Jeep is a mall crawler. Yeah, I ain't PROUD of that, but the closest she gets to off-road at this point, is traversing the great potholes of Pittsburgh (I've only had to shift to 4-Lo three times, to crawl back out of some of them...). The previous owner drove it to the Outer Banks... a LOT... so it was an Interstate Crawler before that. 5 years old, 74,000 miles of asphalt, and the lower ball joints are shot already?!?!

2) My Commander ain't the only victim of employees in the state that thinks "right to work" is a THREAT to workers... https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2012/12/rolleyes-1.gif My mechanic has an '07 Durango, which has also had to have the ball joints replaced. My wife's '08 Dodge Caravan needed them after 45k miles, and it was LESS than 2 years old, and a friend at church has an '08 Patriot with less than 30k miles, and IT needed replacement recently, too!

3) So what GIVES?!?!?! :mad::mad::mad:

07JeepXK
12-11-2012, 06:43 AM
I'm confused?!?! The front end only has two lower ball joints, one on each side and they run about $28 a piece online for MOOG part # K80629. Hell I only paid $350 for (2) brand new complete lower control arms that have all new bushings and the lower ball joint!!!

ScorpionCrawler
12-11-2012, 10:18 AM
The problem is the salt maple syrup sh** they are spraying on the roads, not necessarily the joint. That sap sticks to your front end as well as the road.
I have my original ball joints still intact with over 148,000 miles.
But.... I wash the underside especially the front end all winter log, usually friday nights. Torpedo heater going and a few beers.
It's nice....

The_War_Wagon
12-11-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm confused?!?! The front end only has two lower ball joints, one on each side and they run about $28 a piece online for MOOG part # K80629. Hell I only paid $350 for (2) brand new complete lower control arms that have all new bushings and the lower ball joint!!!

Had mine re-done at the local Chrysler dealer - $720 worth of work! I can scan the receipt if you like.

Matt
12-11-2012, 03:18 PM
I think the dealer charges ~$300 per control arm

06JeepXKHEMI
12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Thats wild, at least when I have an issue I friendly visit to Adam with beer and detail supplies is the extent of my bill!!!

07JeepXK
12-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Had mine re-done at the local Chrysler dealer - $720 worth of work! I can scan the receipt if you like.

Oh. You made it sound like parts alone were $700. But I still think that is crazy for the dealer to charge you $700 total. Lower ball joints are easy to replace.

The_War_Wagon
12-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Oh. You made it sound like parts alone were $700. But I still think that is crazy for the dealer to charge you $700 total. Lower ball joints are easy to replace.

The thing that sucks is, when Ford/Lincoln/Mercury did work AT the dealership, their parts were guaranteed for life. Jeep only waranties these for 12 mos/12,000 miles. :( I'll have it done at Midas next time...