PDA

View Full Version : My Bad Luck Continues...

ItsMeKO3
01-16-2013, 10:17 PM
So over the last couple of days, my WK and I haven't exactly been getting along well. First it was the constant battle I've been having with a brake dragging, and needing new brakes. At the same time when I'm trying to figure out where its dragging and how to fix it, I see something leaking underneath towards the rear. Thanks to you guys, I found out its the pinion seal. Apparently not a tough fix, but being the middle of January, with no garage, and limited tools, its not something I can try to tackle right now. I decided today to make an appointment with my bro and law to take it in to have it looked at, which was supposed to be tomorrow. So tonight, I pick up my 3 buddies and we head to our men's league hockey game. When we get done we all load up and get in, and I go to start it... and nothing. I've got lights, radio, everything... but no start. I thought maybe the battery is drained and doesn't have enough juice?? So we tried to jump it and nothing. My next thought is the starter. I had a starter go bad on my last vehicle and I remember I pounded on it with a rubber hammer just to get it started so I could get it to the shop. Well I'm not very mechanically inclined by any means, and myself nor a couple other guys trying to help could find the damn thing. I looked up on my phone, and it said its on the passenger side, bottom of the engine, towards the back of the vehicle. Still no luck. So by this time its 1130, its freezing cold, and I'm just plain frustrated. Thankfully one of my buddies called his girlfriend and she came and picked us up. Its just so weird because there was no signs of any problems at all today when I went to and from work, went to my bro in laws house, nothing. And its never happened before. So I guess I'll have to have to towed to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully its something simple, but I'm not very optimistic. Thanks for listening to my rant lol.

P.S. To make things worse, we lost 4-3 to end a 7 game win streak!

Matt
01-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Man I feel your pain. Keep in mind the other issues you have are very minor.... bend the shield, slap on some brakes and have the pinion seal replaced when you have a chance.

Getting stranded is no fun though. Starter, wiring harness or maybe the ignition switch. (Or the battery and you need a lesson on jump starting lol)

Let us know how it pans out!

07JeepXK
01-17-2013, 05:45 AM
The starter is located on the drivers side (not the passenger). Like Matt said, the issues you are having are easy to fix.

ItsMeKO3
01-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Yea thankfully the others are a simple fix. I just talked to the parts manager at my dealer, good friend and he can fix just about anything. He also said he thinks the starter is on the drivers side. He gave me a couple of things to try, so I'll be headed there after work to try to get it going. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

07JeepXK
01-17-2013, 07:39 AM
I don't think it's on the drivers side. I know it is!!! I have replaced mine already.

ItsMeKO3
01-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Hahaha good to know. Im contemplating whether or not I should go over and try to get it started after work, or just have it towed. Its $150 to have it towed to the dealer. But is it worth it to try and dick with it? I was going to try and check the connections but I'm not even sure I'll be able to get to it.

Matt
01-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Its not too hard to get to but you'll have to take the suspension skid off, then reach your arm up there and jiggle the wires...that $150 buys your front brakes!

ItsMeKO3
01-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Yea that's true lol. Its probably worth a shot. The skid its just 4 bolts right?

Matt
01-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Yup.... the front two bolts you just loosen, then remove the rear two bolts, then slide it forward and it drops down. I think they're 13mm....

ItsMeKO3
01-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks guys. Hopefully it'll just be a bad connection. I'll let you know.

pjmjr508
01-17-2013, 03:51 PM
most likely it is the starter harness, I have had the same issue. I sprayed the heck out of the area around with wd-40 and the intermitten start went away. I know I will need to get that harness replaced because of all the mud & dirt that got up there around the starter

ItsMeKO3
01-17-2013, 08:54 PM
So there's good news, and there's bad news (for me not you guys lol). The good news is I managed to save that $150. I got back over to my Jeep tonight to try to figure out what was wrong. I crawled underneath, and found the starter in about 30 seconds. Real easy to find when you're looking in the right general area lol. I managed to get to it without having to remove the skid, and I tapped on it a few times with a pry bar while my brother in law turned the key. After about the 5th hit it fired up. So I drove it straight to the dealership, and we put it right inside so when the guys get there in the morning it won't be frozen, and they won't have to push it in. So the bad news is it sounds likes its a bad starter...? I'm guessing the starter will be a bit over $100, and I think labor is around $70/hour. So it'll probably end up being a couple hundred bucks.

Matt
01-18-2013, 04:26 AM
Glad you saved the $150 at least. :)

ItsMeKO3
01-23-2013, 07:53 PM
I just realized I never posted as to what the outcome was. Luckily they got looking at the starter and it just ended up being as bad connection. He snipped it off, and then soldered a new one on. Thankfully it didn't cost me a dime. :thumbup:

valpacer
01-24-2013, 03:03 AM
Thats a good result, gotta have a win sometimes!