PDA

View Full Version : Awful Grinding Noise.. What The Hell Its It?

ItsMeKO3
01-23-2013, 07:59 PM
So tonight I was driving and came to a stop sign. It was a busy road and I had to sneak out. So I accelerated kind of quick with the wheel turned and it made this terrible grinding noise. I drove around a bit to try and listen. It only does it when I accelerate fast with the wheel turned. It doesn't seem to do it when I'm not taking off quick. Any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Matt
01-23-2013, 08:13 PM
I forget, what are some of the specs of your jeep? Lift/tire/wheels/spacers/QDII?

Try turning traction control off and see if it makes the noise?

ItsMeKO3
01-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Its an 05 Laredo, 3.7 Qt1. Ive only got the JBA front leveling spacer with stock size AT's and Spidertrax spacers on a set of XK wheels. I did try turning off the traction control and it still made the noise. My first thought was that it sounded like when the the traction control kicks in when driving in snow. Def sounds like its in the front end. Like I said its only when the wheels are turned, and it seems like the steering wheel has to be turned beyond 3/4 turn.

valpacer
01-24-2013, 03:02 AM
Did you just push the button to turn off the traction control, or hold it in for 5 seconds and wait for the chime? With the extra track of the spacers you have changed the bump radius of your front end and it will also act to kick in the TC earlier. Id say its the TC.

ItsMeKO3
01-24-2013, 04:53 AM
I only pushed the button. I've tried holding it before and it never chimes out anything. I don't know if mines not able to be completely turned of or what...?

Matt
01-24-2013, 05:26 AM
I have heard that feature wasn't available in 2005 but never confirmed for myself...are you in park when you press/hold the button?

You could also try taking out the fuse to disable the system and give it a shot. You'll have some warnings on the dash but thats not a problem for quick trouble shooting

ItsMeKO3
01-24-2013, 05:36 AM
Yea i tried it in park. Would taking the fuse out like reset the system or something?

Matt
01-24-2013, 05:47 AM
No it'll just disable the system so it doesnt engage the brakes.... which is probably what you're hearing

ItsMeKO3
01-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Ok, I'll pull the fuse and try to see if it still does it. Any idea where the fuse is off hand? I'm sure its in my manual somewhere.

Matt
01-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Not off the top of my head....id go by your manual in case it changed too.

ItsMeKO3
01-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Alright I'll try that tonight. Just to be sure, I need to pull the fuse out, drive with the fuse out to try to replicate the noise, and then put it back in? Sorry for being such a pain in the ass lately lol.

Matt
01-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Exactly. :)

valpacer
01-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I havent come across the 2005 not working thing before, but we get some different stuff down here. We dont actually get the 3.7 QT1 at all, so there may be things in the software of that i havent seen! When the grinding noise starts, does the jeep try to brake itself while you are still on the throttle?

jjt250
01-24-2013, 01:38 PM
I have read from numerous people that 2005 WKs cannot completely turn off traction control by holding down the button. I'm not sure about WHs, though.

ItsMeKO3
01-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Yea I've never had any luck with completely turning it off. The most I can do is "partially" disable it by pressing the button once.

But no. It doesn't seem to apply any brake when the noise starts. And once the wheel starts to straighten back out it goes away.

Matt
01-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Any luck?

ItsMeKO3
01-24-2013, 08:03 PM
I didn't get a chance to pull the fuse. I was looking it up after work and I wasn't sure which one it was. I found 2 that had to do with ABS? Not sure if that's what I want. Before I could figure it out my fiancee told me about the meeting for our wedding that I forgot about. Then dinner at her parents. I'm still not sure which fuse I'm looking for lol.

Matt
01-24-2013, 08:25 PM
I'd pull the one under the hood for the ABS pump itself (that's normally the "grinding" sound you hear when it activates)... no power to the pump should equate to no noise.

ItsMeKO3
01-24-2013, 08:43 PM
I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks.

07JeepXK
01-25-2013, 05:50 AM
It's the ABS Pump fuse you need to pull. It's a pink fuse located in the fuse box under the hood on the drivers side.

ItsMeKO3
01-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Well I pulled the fuse and went for a drive but no luck. It still made the noise. And now, even after I put the fuse back in, the abs and traction control light are still on...?

Edit; Nevermind they went out lol.

Matt
01-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Damn.... was really hoping that was it. Grinding noises ARENT good otherwise...

Ok... do you have a parking lot somewhere you can toy around with it? I'd like to know what it does with the wheel at full lock left driving in circles and then full lock right driving in circles.

If it makes a noise in either of those cases, try lightly applying the brakes and see if the noise changes.

ItsMeKO3
01-25-2013, 02:40 PM
I'll go and try this ^^^. I just got off the phone with the parts manager at my local dealer. He's a good friend with my brother in law who is a salesman there. He thinks by my description it may either be wheel bearings, or the cv shaft.

Matt
01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
That's pretty much where its headed lol. The tight turns will stress both those items the most.

valpacer
01-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Bugger. Yeah, likely candidate is the cv.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

ItsMeKO3
01-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Well, now things get weird lol. I just went to my local golf course because I knew the parking lot would be empty. I rolled both front windows down, and did circles to both the left and right. Some slow, some with a little pace. I braked while turning, sped up while turning, and heard nothing. So I left. On the way home I couldn't get it to make the noise at all. I mean I guess its a good thing..? The only factor I can think of is over the last 2 days it has been SUPER cold, with the high during the day at like -5*, and lows down to -258 at night. Today it warmed up a bit. I think the high was around 15*. So like usual, I'm clueless.

Matt
01-25-2013, 03:19 PM
TUJ scared the problem away!!

lol let us know when it comes back :p

ItsMeKO3
01-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Lol I hope that's the case. I'll let you know if it comes back. Thanks for the help!!