PDA

View Full Version : John's 1" Lift

jjt250
01-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Yesterday and today I installed Bilsteins front and rear, Rusty's 1/2 inch strut spacers, Matt's 1/2 inch rear coils spacers, and also Matt's XK rear coils with my dad. The rear was incredibly easy, the front, not so much. Took the majority of Saturday afternoon and this morning to get those done. Also took it to Firestone and bought the lifetime alignment. Stupidly, I forgot to take before measurements, but I think I gained almost exactly an inch over all which was my goal. I'm at about 20.5 center of hub to fender in the front and I think 21.5 in the rear...I'll have to recheck that. I'll have a good picture tomorrow, but it does look more aggressive and I love the look. Hopefully new tires are in my near future.

Surprisingly, my WK CRD coils are actually a bit longer than the XK coils, but the XK coils were noticeably thicker. Definitely added some height and stiffness. Exactly what I was looking for and they should help with towing I think.
WK Driver, WK Passenger, XK Driver, XK Passenger:

On the driver side, I could not get the axle to drop low enough because the upper control arm was hitting the gas tank skid. So I jacked up the passenger side and then I had enough room to get the driver side coil in with little effort. I'm a bit confused, though, because I have the plastic skids up front, why do I have the gas tank skid? I know Matt said there are two, 1 ply vs 2 ply skids, but I thought those with the 1 ply version didn't have any problems with the control arm hitting it? Maybe someone can clear that up. You can kind of see what I'm talking about here:

With Matt's 1/2 inch coil spacers installed:

Rear in progress:

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the front in progress as we were more focused and I forgot to take them as we went. Took a short ride and I can already tell it's way better. I'll have more pictures of the finished result and driving impressions tomorrow. And thanks again to Matt for the spacers and coils and also for taking the time to answer all of my questions. Overall I'm very glad that I attempted this on my own. I now understand my Jeep better and could probably cut the time in half if I were to do it again. Not to mention that I probably saved a good $300 or so.

Matt
01-28-2013, 04:23 AM
Very cool man glad it worked out!

All of the gas tank cradles have the issue with the control arm hitting it, not just the upgraded skid plate version. If you ever decide to put OME springs or an upper spacer in, you'll want to trim that section so the suspension drops down further..... makes installation much easier and provides more flex for wheeling; win-win!

scottso699
01-28-2013, 07:58 AM
When I installed my rear OME springs I cut the fuel tank - it was really spontaneous too! That side wouldn't go down enough... I was thinking of all the threads I had read about that mod... and how pissed i'd be at myself if I didn't take the time to do it now and have to come back some other day to do it. It was right there in front of me so I grabbed my reciprocating saw and in no time took care of that!

John - I assume you got "Matt's Spacers" from Matt? Or did you make them yourself from the stuff Matt gets?

And if you got them from Matt...

Matt - Will you be making more of these spacers (you had mentioned you were making uppers)? I'd be very interested in getting a pair for my rear...

Matt
01-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Hey Scott, I made him a set. I have enough material for 3 more sets.... I promised a set to another member here, I need another set for my xk, so if you want I can make you a set to; I charge $40.

jjt250
01-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Very cool man glad it worked out!

All of the gas tank cradles have the issue with the control arm hitting it, not just the upgraded skid plate version. If you ever decide to put OME springs or an upper spacer in, you'll want to trim that section so the suspension drops down further..... makes installation much easier and provides more flex for wheeling; win-win!

I may add another rear spacer in the future but I'm not sure if the rear will then be too higher compared to the front. When I do, I'll for sure trim the gas tank skid. So if I were to buy the improved gas tank skid, do you get rid of the current one? If so, I'll just wait to trim it until I get the better one. Anyways, doesn't the shock fully extend before the control arm hits the skid?

When I installed my rear OME springs I cut the fuel tank - it was really spontaneous too! That side wouldn't go down enough... I was thinking of all the threads I had read about that mod... and how pissed i'd be at myself if I didn't take the time to do it now and have to come back some other day to do it. It was right there in front of me so I grabbed my reciprocating saw and in no time took care of that!

John - I assume you got "Matt's Spacers" from Matt? Or did you make them yourself from the stuff Matt gets?

And if you got them from Matt...

Matt - Will you be making more of these spacers (you had mentioned you were making uppers)? I'd be very interested in getting a pair for my rear...

Scott, like Matt said, I did get the 1/2 inch rear coil spacers from him. They work great and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Also a good price and super easy to install.

jjt250
01-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Snagged a few more pictures on my way in...

Might be hard to tell, but it definitely has a more aggressive stance now. The ride with the Bilsteins is way better. Firmer, but so much more controlled. It makes driving it much more enjoyable. I'll see if I can find a stock WK in a parking lot this weekend.

Matt
01-28-2013, 08:06 PM
I may add another rear spacer in the future but I'm not sure if the rear will then be too higher compared to the front. When I do, I'll for sure trim the gas tank skid. So if I were to buy the improved gas tank skid, do you get rid of the current one? If so, I'll just wait to trim it until I get the better one. Anyways, doesn't the shock fully extend before the control arm hits the skid?

Yeah the new gas tank skid replaced the whole unit. Check out the "how to" section; Sal and I both have threads that show R&R of the gas tank skids. Mine shows how to trim for control arm clearance.

As for shocks- most of us run extended length shocks for better articulation offroad. You can gain A LOT of down travel in the rear with a good shock setup.

paroxysym
01-29-2013, 06:46 AM
awesome post... looking forward to seeing a comparison next to another WK.

interested in doing this. matt are you not making spacers anymore after this last batch? if replace my MLLs with bilsteins id like to keep alittle bit of a boost in the rear.

i need to get me some XK HEMI/TOW coils.

Matt
01-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Thats actually the reason I decided to make the spacers.... want to keep the height when I swap out the MLLs with some nicer shocks.

I'll never rule out making another set for one of my TUJ buddies. :)
I just dont want random people I dont know finding me via google and asking for spacers because they're really not fun to make lol.

cabledog25
01-29-2013, 07:15 AM
hey matt whenever you get around to making another set of the spacers add me to that list. thanks

Matt
01-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Haha no problem. You guys are gonna have to give me a few weeks... in the middle of our FIRST Robotics build season and my semester... and putting my house on the market this weekend.... damn im just about ready for a mid-life crisis.

cabledog25
01-29-2013, 07:34 AM
its all good man, im in no big rush, i still got about a month and half till i get to see my XK anyways. and good luck man

scottso699
01-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Yeah for the price you are quoting I would definitely take a set! Other than it being a pain in the a$$ to make, I think you could make a good side business manufacturing small scale lift kits (or leveling kits as the pick-up guys love to call them...:rolleyes:) and components... I mean no where else have I ever seen a spacer of that size for our jeeps - it would even be marketable to... dare I say... Liberty KK owners too :eek: (sorry if anyone out there is a Liberty owner and I offend you. If it's your second car (or wife's, gf's, lover's, etc.) then it's ok.)

Matt
01-29-2013, 07:48 AM
I hear ya. I definitely didn't set the price to make any real profit.... basically just covering the material cost, shipping and some quality beer. Someday id like to get into a fabrication side business, but for now im busy enough with 2 (+1 in June) kids, full time job, working on masters degree (before kids get on enough for after school sports), volunteering my time mentoring highschool robotics team, and trying to sneak some "me" time in there to play with my jeep.I think thats why im on these forums so much..... gives me an opportunity to enjoy my hobby and help out other enthusiasts in between my daily chaos! :)

jjt250
01-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Yeah the new gas tank skid replaced the whole unit. Check out the "how to" section; Sal and I both have threads that show R&R of the gas tank skids. Mine shows how to trim for control arm clearance.

As for shocks- most of us run extended length shocks for better articulation offroad. You can gain A LOT of down travel in the rear with a good shock setup.

I figured since I'm only looking for 1" of lift I'd go for the stock length Bilsteins. I don't think I'll contact the skid with them but I'll trim in the future....someday I'll upgrade anyways haha.

awesome post... looking forward to seeing a comparison next to another WK.

interested in doing this. matt are you not making spacers anymore after this last batch? if replace my MLLs with bilsteins id like to keep alittle bit of a boost in the rear.

i need to get me some XK HEMI/TOW coils.

I will try to find another WK to park next to as soon as possible. I also had MLL's (stock length) at one point and I didn't love the ride. It was a little harsh but not terrible. I decided to go with Bilsteins for the improved ride, but also wanted to retain the added help when towing that the MLL's provided. That's why I also switched to Hemi/Tow XK coils and a 1/2 inch rear spacer. Not to mention I appreciated the added lift. BTW, keep in mind that I have the CRD which is the heaviest engine choice available. If you wanted a bit more lift in the front, I bet the CRD front coils have a little higher spring rate.

I hear ya. I definitely didn't set the price to make any real profit.... basically just covering the material cost, shipping and some quality beer. Someday id like to get into a fabrication side business, but for now im busy enough with 2 (+1 in June) kids, full time job, working on masters degree (before kids get on enough for after school sports), volunteering my time mentoring highschool robotics team, and trying to sneak some "me" time in there to play with my jeep.I think thats why im on these forums so much..... gives me an opportunity to enjoy my hobby and help out other enthusiasts in between my daily chaos! :)

Hey Matt, out of curiosity, what line of work are you in? Engineering?

paroxysym
01-29-2013, 12:39 PM
I will try to find another WK to park next to as soon as possible. I also had MLL's (stock length) at one point and I didn't love the ride. It was a little harsh but not terrible. I decided to go with Bilsteins for the improved ride, but also wanted to retain the added help when towing that the MLL's provided. That's why I also switched to Hemi/Tow XK coils and a 1/2 inch rear spacer. Not to mention I appreciated the added lift. BTW, keep in mind that I have the CRD which is the heaviest engine choice available. If you wanted a bit more lift in the front, I bet the CRD front coils have a little higher spring rate.

great- exactly the info i was looking for. i have the stock length MML in the rear as well with my BB. however, once i take out my BB and leave the MLL i was going to use her as a DD and towrig maybe. but i was curious how harsh the MLLs would be and how i would compensate for the boost they gave/give me. sounds like you found the right solution. thank you sir.

Matt
01-29-2013, 12:40 PM
Those bilsteins, depending on model, may be longer than the oem shocks. Not a big deal regardless.

And yessir.... used to be an ASE certified tech, now a mechanical engineer (B.S. working towards M.S.) w/aerospace cert.

jjt250
01-29-2013, 03:42 PM
great- exactly the info i was looking for. i have the stock length MML in the rear as well with my BB. however, once i take out my BB and leave the MLL i was going to use her as a DD and towrig maybe. but i was curious how harsh the MLLs would be and how i would compensate for the boost they gave/give me. sounds like you found the right solution. thank you sir.

No problem! I don't think the MLL's were that stiff. Some people don't mind, others do. Part of the problem for me might've been the fact that I was stock in the front so I thought it felt a little bit unbalanced IMO. Also when going over bigger bumps, the MLL's just felt less willing to use travel (which makes sense) which made the ride suffer and gave a sort of harder landing. I also like the peace of mind of having less stress on the shock mounts, which weren't really designed to hold a lot of load. Although it probably wouldn't be a problem, this is what I tow a lot and it clearly has a lot of tongue weight:

This was a heavy one...

Bottom line, if you're willing to spend the extra money on Bilsteins, XK coils, and coil spacers, I think it is a better set up and I know I enjoy driving it much more now. I'll post towing impressions next time I have it hooked up.

Those bilsteins, depending on model, may be longer than the oem shocks. Not a big deal regardless.

And yessir.... used to be an ASE certified tech, now a mechanical engineer (B.S. working towards M.S.) w/aerospace cert.

Very cool! Also, I'll be sure to check the length of the Bilsteins next time I'm working on the Jeep (Thursday). I didn't notice a difference in length, but it would certainly be welcomed...

paroxysym
01-30-2013, 04:13 PM
wonder what the biggest size tire you cam fit now, comfortably...

jjt250
01-30-2013, 07:38 PM
wonder what the biggest size tire you cam fit now, comfortably...

Well I really want Goodyear Duratracs, but there really aren't many sizes available that I'm looking for. I was thinking 245/70/17 but Duratracs are still expensive, kind of heavy, and those are load range E which I don't need. I was thinking General Grabber AT2's because they have a lot more sizes, much cheaper, and lighter. I know you can do 265/65/17 on stock suspension but you'll probably want to run spacers. I don't want to run spacers until I get Moabs this summer and I want 1" Bora wheel spacers. So many tire decisions, but I do love the way Duratracs look and perform so I might just get those.

jjt250
02-03-2013, 08:23 PM
So I have to take back what I said about CRD coils possibly giving more lift on other WKs. After a week of settling, I'm sitting at 19 inches in the front and 20.5 in the rear. I'm somewhat disappointed by this and now I want a bit more out of the front. I did some research and found that certain Commander coils (Hemi XK, I assume) have a spring rate of 601 lb-in (PN 52124207AA) whereas CRD coils have 473 lb-in (driver) and 433 lb-in (passenger). So now I'm considering picking up a pair of Commander front coils. If anyone is interested in selling me theirs, I might be interested. I just really don't want to disassemble the front again. That was not fun at all, but I hope this helps other people out who are looking for about 1" of lift.

I didn't find another WK to park next to this weekend, unfortunately. I see so many WK2s around, but WKs seem to be harder to come by now!

On another side note, tires look to be narrowed down to Goodyear Duratracs, Goodyear Silent Armors, and possibly Cooper Discoverer AT3s. Really leaning towards Duratracs in 245/70/17, but dang are they expensive, and so are Silent Armors! Five will cost at least $1000! Does anyone have a preferred place to buy tires from?

paroxysym
02-07-2013, 12:22 PM
any recent pics?

jjt250
02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Ask and you shall receive!

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

paroxysym
02-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Dig it.... Great work man.

jjt250
02-07-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks! I'm seriously contemplating getting some XK coils to get that front end a little higher and I wouldn't mind a little stiffer ride.

paroxysym
02-08-2013, 05:59 AM
Thanks! I'm seriously contemplating getting some XK coils to get that front end a little higher and I wouldn't mind a little stiffer ride.

im in the market for some right now as well- front and rear.

id be interested to see what it finally looks like with a larger tire.

06JeepXKHEMI
02-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Are you meeting me at Rausch for mine?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

paroxysym
02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Are you meeting me at Rausch for mine?

YUP!

jjt250
02-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Finally got a chance to do some minor towing with the new suspension and it handled great.

Hooked up unloaded:

Normal ride height:

With a load of lumber:

jjt250
02-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know or can anyone estimate how much lift I'd see out of a set of Hemi XK front coils? I definitely want to swap those out, but I want to know if I should go ahead and throw in another set of 1/4" strut spacers while I've got everything apart. I know I need new bolts if I do that, but I can find someone to weld them on.

paroxysym
02-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Does anyone know or can anyone estimate how much lift I'd see out of a set of Hemi XK front coils? I definitely want to swap those out, but I want to know if I should go ahead and throw in another set of 1/4" strut spacers while I've got everything apart. I know I need new bolts if I do that, but I can find someone to weld them on.

i think youll probably yield a 1/2" or a hair over. i mean the difference in spring rates is pretty big- over 150lbs. probably wont need that extra strut spacer or have to worry about the welding. still havent thrown mine in yet- still gathering parts.

looks nice man. id be curious to see how it looks parked next to a stocker. aside from the front- youre at 20" from center of the hub to the fender?

jjt250
02-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks, I'm probably just gonna go with the coils for now and when I add skids and such in the future, I'll put another spacer in. I'd really like a bit stiffer ride from the new coils too. I got a quote from Kolak so I might just buy them new but I'm still searching around for a used set. Did you end up picking some up?

I'm going to Walmart today so I'll search for a stocker. In the rear, I think I'm at 20.5 with Matt's rear spacer. I'll check again when I get home.

paroxysym
02-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks, I'm probably just gonna go with the coils for now and when I add skids and such in the future, I'll put another spacer in. I'd really like a bit stiffer ride from the new coils too. I got a quote from Kolak so I might just buy them new but I'm still searching around for a used set. Did you end up picking some up?

I'm going to Walmart today so I'll search for a stocker. In the rear, I think I'm at 20.5 with Matt's rear spacer. I'll check again when I get home.

yup got a set from Andrew- hemi/tow package coils from an XK. they have around 70k on them, but im sure they have plenty of life in them and are stiffer than my 4.7 WK coils.

have you contacted justforjeeps.com for front xk hemi coils? http://www.justforjeeps.com/06xkcofrsp.html, jeepgarage.org has a discount code for the site too

07JeepXK
02-25-2013, 10:19 AM
What's the spring rate difference between Hemi and 4.7 liter XK?

jjt250
02-25-2013, 11:01 AM
yup got a set from Andrew- hemi/tow package coils from an XK. they have around 70k on them, but im sure they have plenty of life in them and are stiffer than my 4.7 WK coils.

have you contacted justforjeeps.com for front xk hemi coils? http://www.justforjeeps.com/06xkcofrsp.html, jeepgarage.org has a discount code for the site too

I'm sure they have plenty of life too. Thanks for the tip, I have not. However Kolak quoted me $30 cheaper than that so I'd probably go with him if I buy new.

Have you installed them yet? How much stiffer is the ride? I find my stock front coils a bit to soft for my liking.

What's the spring rate difference between Hemi and 4.7 liter XK?

I'm not sure but if I had to guess I'd be similar to what I have now. You have a Commander but I have a diesel which is probably at least 100lbs more.

paroxysym
02-25-2013, 11:15 AM
so i did a search and moog offers replacement springs for a 2007 like mine with a 4.7. the spring rate they have listed for them are 94lbs. ..

Matt
02-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Thats definitely a misprint

jjt250
02-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Yeah that's got to be a misprint. How much are they going for? Not that I'm interested because I want Hemi XK coils...

07JeepXK
02-25-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm sure they have plenty of life too. Thanks for the tip, I have not. However Kolak quoted me $30 cheaper than that so I'd probably go with him if I buy new.

Have you installed them yet? How much stiffer is the ride? I find my stock front coils a bit to soft for my liking.

I'm not sure but if I had to guess I'd be similar to what I have now. You have a Commander but I have a diesel which is probably at least 100lbs more.

The diesel actually weighs less than the 4.7 liter. Just saying!

jjt250
02-25-2013, 03:10 PM
No way, A WK CRD has a curb weight of 4872 whereas a 5.7 Hemi comes in at 4735!

Matt
02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
No way, A WK CRD has a curb weight of 4872 whereas a 5.7 Hemi comes in at 4735!

He probably meant the 4.7L XK:
4.7L Limited XK = 5047 lb
5.7L Limited XK = 5169 lb

They never offered a CRD XK here :(

07JeepXK
02-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Your wrong again. The 4.7 liter has a curb weight of 5047 lbs and the limited Hemi XK is 5169 lbs

07JeepXK
02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
He probably meant the 4.7L XK:
4.7L Limited XK = 5047 lb
5.7L Limited XK = 5169 lb

They never offered a CRD XK here :(

Exactly Matt. I'm talking 4.7 XK not WK. So my XK weighs more than your diesel WK JJT250

jjt250
02-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Your wrong again. The 4.7 liter has a curb weight of 5047 lbs and the limited Hemi XK is 5169 lbs

Those curb weights I posted were for WKs. I just assumed if there's a 137lb difference between the CRD WK and Hemi WK, then the CRD has to be heavier than a 4.7.

jjt250
02-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Exactly Matt. I'm talking 4.7 XK not WK. So my XK weighs more than your diesel WK JJT250

Oh for sure...I was just talking about the engines.

07JeepXK
02-25-2013, 03:29 PM
I was talking vehicle weight not engine weight just worded it wrong

Matt
02-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Oh for sure...I was just talking about the engines.

I knew what both of you meant :p

jjt250
02-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Oh okay haha. I didn't know a 4.7 XK weighed that much though, so it probably does have higher spring rate coils than a diesel WK. Regardless, I still want Hemi XK coils!

07JeepXK
02-25-2013, 03:35 PM
Does anyone know the engine weights of 3.7, 4.7, 5.7 and 3.0 CRD.

lekmedm
02-26-2013, 07:33 AM
Oh okay haha. I didn't know a 4.7 XK weighed that much though, so it probably does have higher spring rate coils than a diesel WK. Regardless, I still want Hemi XK coils!

The 3rd row seats add 500 lbs.! ;)

07JeepXK
02-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Haha seriously though the 3rd row seat weighs close to 100 lbs. I took mine out years ago

paroxysym
02-27-2013, 06:03 AM
i was taking some measurements the other day- is it sad that my current daystar BB w/bilstein HDs in the front sits the same height as your CRD with a spacer and shocks? 20.5.. so looks like in the end ill be able to run a tire size comparable to whats on my sahara 18s. so awesome!

jjt250
02-27-2013, 06:50 AM
I've heard that the Daystar runs on the shorter side of 2 inches...I'm actually not at 20.5 in the front though. I've got about a 1 inch rake so hopefully these new springs bring me up at least .5 inches. That means I'll probably do 245/75r17 instead of 245/70r17. You're running 255/75r17s, right?

paroxysym
02-27-2013, 07:04 AM
I've heard that the Daystar runs on the shorter side of 2 inches...I'm actually not at 20.5 in the front though. I've got about a 1 inch rake so hopefully these new springs bring me up at least .5 inches. That means I'll probably do 245/75r17 instead of 245/70r17. You're running 255/75r17s, right?

im running a 255/80r18, which is a true 32x10. im running 1/4" spacers and dont have any rubbing at full lock- but do have some when i hit awkward/steep dips in the road at higher speeds (driving like an ass).

so im hoping i can get a 31.5 or something along those lines in there when i switch to a 17" rim. 255/70 or a 245/75 would be nice too

cabledog25
02-27-2013, 08:21 AM
paroxysym: do you have the pinch weld mod done? cause i have a daystar lift and i fit 265/70R17s on my XK no problem which are the same as 245/75 just a hair wider

jjt250
02-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Do you know what a stock WK sits at, 19"? That's good to hear, I'd rather not run spacers for a while. Isn't 245/75r17 31.6" or something like that?

paroxysym
02-27-2013, 09:00 AM
paroxysym: do you have the pinch weld mod done? cause i have a daystar lift and i fit 265/70R17s on my XK no problem which are the same as 245/75 just a hair wider

no pinch weld mods done, honestly been contemplating it but i dont feel like cutting up my jeep.

Do you know what a stock WK sits at, 19"? That's good to hear, I'd rather not run spacers for a while. Isn't 245/75r17 31.6" or something like that?

yea i think the 245 is 31.5, a 355/50 is 31 even i think

cabledog25
02-27-2013, 09:05 AM
you should have no problem fitting them, my XK i dont have the pinch weld mod done either, and i dont rub any. but i also do have rims that i think put my out about the same as stock rims with 1.5 spacers.

paroxysym
02-27-2013, 01:28 PM
well i have a line on some black op moabs.. makes me want to go 33s LOL.

i dont think a 255/75 would fit with a 1" lift, however with my front end being the height it is now with my daystar i did run 255/75s with 1" spacers and they looked great and they didnt rub that bad with the 1" spacers. the 1/4" spacers keep them within the fenders and they rub alittle more than they did with the 1". i think tires are going to be tough when the time comes to pick a size. theyll either look too small or TOO stuffed and oversized for the jeep.

jjt250
02-27-2013, 01:44 PM
That's the problem I have...I don't want it too be big or small. I'm fairly certain I can fit 245/75r17 with this setup and it won't look silly if I want to add a bit more lift in the future. I don't might if I have to do the pinch weld.

jjt250
02-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Alright, just got some quotes on 245/70s and 245/75s and the bigger ones a bit cheaper. Both E load range, I believe. Do you guys think I will have rubbing with the bigger tires without wheel spacers? I could have them installed as soon as this weekend, but I've got to decide which size.

paroxysym
02-28-2013, 05:43 AM
Alright, just got some quotes on 245/70s and 245/75s and the bigger ones a bit cheaper. Both E load range, I believe. Do you guys think I will have rubbing with the bigger tires without wheel spacers? I could have them installed as soon as this weekend, but I've got to decide which size.

id run at least a 1/4". also E load? thats going to be a stiff ride.

do they do a test fit to see how they look at the shop youre going to?

07JeepXK
02-28-2013, 06:11 AM
E load range will be fine. Our vehicles are heavy. Andrew got his MT/Rs in Load range E

paroxysym
02-28-2013, 06:14 AM
E load range will be fine. Our vehicles are heavy. Andrew got his MT/Rs in Load range E

maybe im biased and basing my opinion on when i ran MTRs on my TJ- i know my WK weigsh a good bit more than that but still, those tires and their stiff sidewalls werent as forgiving as say a d range or lower.

Matt
02-28-2013, 06:26 AM
What pressure did you run? Ive never had an issue with E load tires but I calculate the proper pressure for them. A lot of people over inflate LT tires thinking they need 50+ psi and then its like riding on bricks.

cabledog25
02-28-2013, 06:48 AM
What psi should i run on my duratracs Matt?

Matt
02-28-2013, 07:01 AM
What psi should i run on my duratracs Matt?

For an LT265/70/17 you're good with 35 psi. At that pressure you'll exceed your RGAWR before overloading the tires. If you're towing/hauling and want to stiffen them up a bit you can go up to 40 psi. Anything above 40 is overkill and may actually reduce traction/stability. 38 psi is a common pressure that suits most people pretty well in these vehicles.

cabledog25
02-28-2013, 07:06 AM
thanks, and another question, how should i rotate them?

Matt
02-28-2013, 07:18 AM
thanks, and another question, how should i rotate them?

For all my 4x4 and AWD vehicles ive always done the Rearward Cross. Worked very well for my Duratracs too. Every 5k miles

jjt250
02-28-2013, 08:03 AM
id run at least a 1/4". also E load? thats going to be a stiff ride.

do they do a test fit to see how they look at the shop youre going to?

I was a bit worried about the E load range at first but after talking to Matt, he assured me it wouldn't be too bad if I used the right psi. What do you recommend I run them at for 245/70?

They have to order it from a warehouse in town so I can't test fit them.

Well I'd rather not use a slip on wheel spacer or really any for that matter so I've decided to just go with 245/70r17. Hopefully this weekend...

Matt
02-28-2013, 08:16 AM
For that size tire you'd be OK @ 35 for unloaded daily driving. But to match the max load capacity of the stock tires/ axles you'll want ~42 psi.
Id run 38 DD but go 42-45 for longer trips or towing/hauling

paroxysym
02-28-2013, 08:16 AM
I was a bit worried about the E load range at first but after talking to Matt, he assured me it wouldn't be too bad if I used the right psi. What do you recommend I run them at for 245/70?

They have to order it from a warehouse in town so I can't test fit them.

Well I'd rather not use a slip on wheel spacer or really any for that matter so I've decided to just go with 245/70r17. Hopefully this weekend...

nothing wrong with slip on spacers- ill probably run them when i go with a 245/75. i actually been browsing tires all morning- even looking at WJ threads to see what the overall best 245/75 is. i just have to pull the trigger on these COD moabs i found for sale

07JeepXK
02-28-2013, 08:17 AM
maybe im biased and basing my opinion on when i ran MTRs on my TJ- i know my WK weigsh a good bit more than that but still, those tires and their stiff sidewalls werent as forgiving as say a d range or lower.

Haha you can't even compare a TJ to a WK or XK. Huge difference. Hence why you didn't like the load rang E on the TJ

paroxysym
02-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Haha you can't even compare a TJ to a WK or XK. Huge difference. Hence why you didn't like the load rang E on the TJ

LOL i know horrible comparison. god damn i miss my TJ

jjt250
02-28-2013, 08:26 AM
For that size tire you'd be OK @ 35 for unloaded daily driving. But to match the max load capacity of the stock tires/ axles you'll want ~42 psi.
Id run 38 DD but go 42-45 for longer trips or towing/hauling

Sweet thanks... I'll go 38 for DD then. I usually carry some extra weight in my Jeep anyways.

nothing wrong with slip on spacers- ill probably run them when i go with a 245/75. i actually been browsing tires all morning- even looking at WJ threads to see what the overall best 245/75 is. i just have to pull the trigger on these COD moabs i found for sale

I know everyone's got opinions about wheel spacers.... Personally it's just something I don't really want to worry about right now. I'll probably eventually get some 1 inch Bora wheel when I get some Moabs. Also I don't think a lot of shops will touch slip on wheel spacers but that doesn't really matter. I'm still gonna go with 245/70s and I'll think I'll be fine without spacers for now.

paroxysym
02-28-2013, 08:47 AM
looking forward to see how well those fill out your wheel wells.

Matt
02-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Here's when I had 245/70/17 general grabbers

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/06/20110622190301-1.jpg

jjt250
02-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Is that with a BB?

Matt
02-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Yeah that was with the 2" RC

jjt250
02-28-2013, 11:09 AM
That looks really good, better than I thought it would with a lift. Okay I'm sold!

cabledog25
02-28-2013, 11:12 AM
That looks really good, better than I thought it would with a lift. Okay I'm sold!

What tires are you going to run?

jjt250
02-28-2013, 11:37 AM
245/70r17 Duratracs!

cabledog25
02-28-2013, 11:39 AM
that will look good, Love Duratracs

jjt250
02-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks, I love the way they look and they great great reviews so I'm very excited.

Matt
02-28-2013, 11:47 AM
I wish I knew about baby #3 before buying tires.... id be running 275/65/18 Duratracs now if I knew I was postponing my superlift!

cabledog25
02-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Yeah Matt turned me to them, since he had them for a while on his and loved them

paroxysym
02-28-2013, 06:40 PM
theres a pic of 245/70s on a stock WK on jeepforum in the wheel and tire stickie. they look kind of small

Matt
02-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Here's when I put those wheels/tires on Seans XK (including a set of 1/4" strut spacers) in a dunkin parking lot.

I think the wheel width/backspace helps the look

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?1202-Maryland-Meet-October-8-2011&p=18588&viewfull=1#post18588

jjt250
02-28-2013, 08:05 PM
I just checked...I don't think it'll look too small. I agree with Matt and when I get spacers, it'll look better. Plus the aggressive tread will help also.

paroxysym
03-01-2013, 06:50 AM
I just checked...I don't think it'll look too small. I agree with Matt and when I get spacers, it'll look better. Plus the aggressive tread will help also.

spacers will help- i wish i could find a pic of some 245/75s on a WK at stock height. looks like when the time comes ill be doing a test fit

jjt250
03-01-2013, 06:41 PM
I wish I could be the first, but I'm fairly confident I'm going with 245/70s! A test fit would be your best option. I did get into contact with a guy that has 245/75r17 Goodyear Authorities on 2 inch BB and he said when he wasn't running spacers, it rubbed a bit on the sway bar. I bet you could fit them without much trouble at stock height, but I just want to get the new tires and be done with it!

paroxysym
03-04-2013, 02:11 PM
been doing some more searching- i think 255/70s would look legit with this setup as well.

jjt250
03-04-2013, 03:16 PM
I've seen that size on a stock WK and it looks good. Unfortunately, Duratracs aren't available in that size.

Edit: 255/70r17 is 31.1" in diameter and 10" wide. 245/75r17 is 31.6" in diameter and 9.7" wide. 245/7r17 is 30.5" in diameter and also 9.7" wide.

paroxysym
03-05-2013, 01:15 PM
I've seen that size on a stock WK and it looks good. Unfortunately, Duratracs aren't available in that size.

Edit: 255/70r17 is 31.1" in diameter and 10" wide. 245/75r17 is 31.6" in diameter and 9.7" wide. 245/7r17 is 30.5" in diameter and also 9.7" wide.

i think theres plenty of room in the rear for a 31, even a 31.5. like i said right now with my daystar BB my front end is sitting at 20.5 and im running 255/80s, which is a 32" on my sahara 18" rim. that fills it out decently and doesnt rub with my 1/4" spacer. i dont think a 255/75 would fit or a 265/70 without a 1.25" spacer and some pinch weld work. im liking the idea or a 31" though.

jjt250
03-05-2013, 02:30 PM
What's your front measurement? If Duratracs came in 255/70, I'd definitely go with that but unfortunately they don't. I think the aggressive tread of the Duratracs will help the look a lot more with 245/70s. I just don't want to do a 31.5 because I don't want it to rub the sway bar or anything without spacers.

jjt250
03-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Getting 4 245/70r17 Duratracs mounted tomorrow morning! And of course, I'll be sure to take pics after!

Matt
03-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Looking forward to seeing it! It's amazing how much a nice set of aggressive tires drastically changes the look of a vehicle.

jjt250
03-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Oh me too! Going from the stock Forteras to Duratracs should be a huge difference!

jjt250
03-09-2013, 05:10 PM
The tires are on!! Pics:

I'm very happy I didn't go with the 245/75r17s! I don't think they'd clear the ball joint bolt or it'd be very close. I can't imagine how people are fitting 265/70r17s without spacers on stock suspension!

Plenty of clearance at the swaybar and pinch weld.

I love the size and look! The aggressive thread really helps it fill out the wheel well, too. I was not expecting it to be that aggressive, but it completely changed the way the Jeep looks. You have to see Duratracs in person to see how awesome they are. They do whine a bit when accelerating and coming to a stop, but at highway speeds, they really aren't bad at all which was surprising! The ride is great too. Maybe a bit stiffer, but I have no complaints whatsoever about the ride with E load range tires. I'm at 35-36 PSI right now. Absolutely love these tires!

Matt
03-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Very nice dude!

paroxysym
03-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Those actually look legit. They fill the wheel wells out nicely. I think with a 1/4" spacer or 1" 245/75s will fit, but I stand corrected thinking those would look too small. Nice job dude!

jjt250
03-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Very nice dude!

Thanks Matt and thank you for all the advise, I am extremely happy with my decision!

Those actually look legit. They fill the wheel wells out nicely. I think with a 1/4" spacer or 1" 245/75s will fit, but I stand corrected thinking those would look too small. Nice job dude!

Thanks man! Yes, I'm definitely happy I decided on the 245/70s. I would say you for sure need at least a 1/4" spacer to clear the bolt with 245/75s. The aggressive thread really helps fill out the wheel wells.

jjt250
03-10-2013, 11:02 AM
I did a lot driving with these on the road yesterday and I'm already used to the noise. It doesn't bother me at all and it's really not that loud. You mostly hear it at low speeds, it seems. The ride is great, too. I can't wait to get these off road. I will post updates along the way...

paroxysym
03-10-2013, 01:59 PM
So damn jealous I haven't done all this yet haha. Can't wait to hear more feedback. Those are load E correct? Any other suspension mods in the future? Swaybars? Any luck finding XK hemi coils?

1USMC
03-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Tires look Great.. Nice job..

criket
03-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Rig looks good man. I like it.

jjt250
03-10-2013, 08:25 PM
So damn jealous I haven't done all this yet haha. Can't wait to hear more feedback. Those are load E correct? Any other suspension mods in the future? Swaybars? Any luck finding XK hemi coils?

Yep they're load range E. I have to complaints with the ride at 35 PSI. I'm still looking for Hemi XK coils, but I might stop at a U-pull it junkyard place tomorrow and see if I can find a wrecked one. I'm kinda tempted to just buy some new ones from Kolak, though. I'm also probably going to add another 1/4" spacer up front and maybe another 1/2" spacer in the rear. After that, I think I'm good for awhile. If I start wheeling some more, I'll probably sell my rear Bilstein shocks and get the longer replacement ones. I love the way it rides right now though! Probably no swaybars for awhile unless I find a wrecked SRT8 by chance.

Tires look Great.. Nice job..

Thanks a lot man! Love your XK by the way, very well done and clean.

Rig looks good man. I like it.

Thanks man!

paroxysym
03-10-2013, 10:36 PM
just get a budget boost at that rate LOL

jjt250
03-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Haha it's too late now! I like the stiffer ride of XK coils too....not too stiff, but just enough. I don't mind tearing it back down either, I'm learning more about my Jeep and it's fun! Who knows what I'll do...

paroxysym
03-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Haha it's too late now! I like the stiffer ride of XK coils too....not too stiff, but just enough. I don't mind tearing it back down either, I'm learning more about my Jeep and it's fun! Who knows what I'll do...

so youre roughly going for a 1-1.5" lift? cause youre already roughly 1" over stock correct?

jjt250
03-11-2013, 11:30 AM
so youre roughly going for a 1-1.5" lift? cause youre already roughly 1" over stock correct?

Approximately. The original goal was 1", but you know how the Jeep things goes..... :D. I think with XK coils, I'll probably be at 1.5 inches but I'm really doing them because I want a bit stiffer ride and I plan on adding some armor in the future. The extra lift is a bonus.

jjt250
03-14-2013, 10:11 PM
I plasti dipped my rims today. I don't love it, but it certainly looks different. It's mostly to hold me off until I find Moabs for cheap and then I'll paint them a dark grey or something like that. I haven't decided. Here are some pics:

I also plasti dipped my expanded mod grill since I didn't properly paint it the first time and the rust was looking bad. I will get it powdercoated silver metallic soon. I installed my S4XC sandwich plates for my shackle mounts while waiting in between coats, too. Also located an annoying squeak and fixed it :p

Yesterday, I took it in to get an oil change and also had them replace the air filter while they were at it. The first thing I noticed was that I heard the turbo spool up a lot more now. So I popped the hood and checked it out. First of all, they didn't even clamp the air box correctly. Secondly, can someone tell me if this is a K&N air filter? It looks like it is. I've heard mixed feeling about our CRDs and K&N air filters and would like to replace it ASAP if it is. Here's a pic:

Finally, I have realized that this has turned more into a build thread. Is it possible that a mod could move this and make it my garage or something?

06JeepXKHEMI
03-15-2013, 05:17 AM
That looks like a stock replacement a k&n it black rubber edges with a purple filter..

jjt250
03-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Okay I thought that K&N was orange. My old stock filter look different so I was just wondering, thanks though. It's strange that on my mom's ML 320CDI with same engine, I can barely hear the turbo but on mine, I can easily hear it spooling up.

07JeepXK
03-15-2013, 06:27 PM
That's not a K&N.

paroxysym
03-19-2013, 05:22 AM
that honestly looks like a fram replacement.... kind of a junk filter.

pjmjr508
03-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Not a Drop in K&N, its a stock replacement, possible a FRAM or WIX

jjt250
03-25-2013, 07:44 PM
that honestly looks like a fram replacement.... kind of a junk filter.

Not a Drop in K&N, its a stock replacement, possible a FRAM or WIX

Thanks guys, I'll look into upgrading it ASAP.

paroxysym
03-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Thanks guys, I'll look into upgrading it ASAP.

WIX is a great replacement filter.. i run one of those when im cleaning my K&N drop-in.

not a huge fan of fram or any other brands

jjt250
04-18-2013, 03:53 PM
Paroxysym, I finally found another WK to take a couple pics next to. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any better shots. Noticeable difference from the rear when side by side. Hard to tell from the front in these pics.

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/319e5069-4f50-43c5-8929-e163ea264c73_zpsbe0283fe.jpg.html)

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/0c908da9-fe0a-489c-9a1e-8f49d22ed1f4_zpsacdc1a86.jpg.html)

And took this one at the haircutter's

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/IMG_20130418_170005_zpsf80f92b9.jpg.html)

paroxysym
04-23-2013, 05:13 AM
nice pics dude, thanks for some comparison shots. any luck finding XK hemi coils?

looks good man, dig the stance. you running wheel spacers yet?

jjt250
04-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks man. Little bit too much rake but that's what the new coils will be for. I'm working on the coils though, may have found a used pair. I've just been dragging my feet with it lately and been too busy to look around haha. Not running spacers yet, still waiting for a good deal on craigslist for some Moabs first. I can get 4 Moabs for $250 with free shipping on ebay but I feel like I can get a better deal if I just wait it out. Maybe I'll just suck it up haha.

paroxysym
04-24-2013, 04:47 AM
if you lived closer i saw a chick unloading 4 moabs for $100 from her 2012 JK. id check out jk-forum, someone is always unloading a set of moabs with spacers for a reasonable price. if they come with tires, just a way to make your money back.

so looing forward to dropping the BB, removed my rear MLLs this weekend and threw some stock shocks in the rear- amazed i lost 2" in the rear and im just an inch higher than your measurements with a BB and OEM XK shocks in the rear. crazy.

jjt250
04-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Man that's a deal...wish more people off roaded where I am. I'll keep an eye on jkforum but I'm sure shipping would be killer unless I found someone close.

I've always heard that the Daystar runs on the smaller end...guess you would even notice that big of a difference with XK coils and some 1/2in spacers haha. You must've had some serious rake with those MLLs then.

jjt250
05-01-2013, 06:43 PM
Finally got some Hemi XK coils from Trialbyfire yesterday morning! Now just need to find some time to throw them on...

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/IMG_20130501_184240_zps42e16a34.jpg.html)

Ross
05-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Is there any difference between the 3.7L/5.7L XK coils? If not I have an extra set someone could have, if they are looking to run a similar set up to this.

Matt
05-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Yeah theres about 4 different spring pairs available depending on engine/options.

jjt250
05-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Yep, like Matt said, there are different spring rates. The Hemi XK ones are quite a bit higher than my current ones so that's why I went with them.

paroxysym
05-04-2013, 08:03 AM
awesome! looking forward to the results. everytime i think of revamping my BB and throwing a new one in there like a RRO i look at this thread LOL.

jjt250
05-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Haha well I'm going to plan on throwing them on next weekend hopefully. I'm getting tired of the raked look! I may even add another 1/4" spacer while I have it apart. I'll make sure to get some good before and after pictures!

paroxysym
05-20-2013, 12:37 PM
any updates?

jjt250
05-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Unfortunately not yet. I've been extremely busy lately. I'm thinking this weekend I'll be able to finally get it done. I never got around to ordering another strut spacer so it looks like I'm just gonna throw in the Hemi coils and call it good for now. I'll keep this updated with pictures.

paroxysym
06-10-2013, 11:06 AM
updates?

jjt250
06-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Just got the drivers side done tonight. The notorious LCA/strut fork bolt is stuck on the passenger side but my neighbor is bringing his impact wrench tomorrow so hopefully I'll have it all put together tomorrow night after work. I'll get an alignment Friday morning. Comparing the springs side by side, the XK coils are noticeably thicker and a bit heavier so I'm excited to see the final result.

Matt
06-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Put some spring compressors on the strut, makes sure theres NO force on that bolt. Seriously.... it takes the slightest bit of force makes that bolt impossible to get out. I've had 5+ northeast WK/XKs apart that thats made the biggest difference.

jjt250
06-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks Matt I'll try that. I put a jack under the LCA to take some pressure off, do you think it's still worth trying though?

Matt
06-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Yes, especially since you were probably adding pressure by jacking up the LCA. What you want to do is put a jack under the LCA and jack it up while you tighten the compressors, remove the strut mount nuts, then drop the LCA so the upper strut mount drops away from the body. At this point it will have no pressure on it and the bolt will be magnitudes easier to remove.

jjt250
06-12-2013, 09:16 PM
Wow that makes a lot of sense. Thanks a lot for the advice! Maybe I won't even need the impact gun tomorrow.

jjt250
06-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Well finally got it done tonight. Huge PITA. Spent most of the time trying to get that bolt off on the passenger side but never could. Don't know what I'll do if I ever have to. Anyways, had to get a little creative but it's done now. Sorry don't have any pics or measurements yet, I'm tired and just wanted to be done. I'll get some tomorrow and probably an alignment. Took it for a ride and it definitely feels firmer. I like it, it feels more balanced now that I have Hemi XK coils front and rear. The coils are noticeable thicker. I'll update ASAP.

paroxysym
06-14-2013, 07:41 AM
AWESOME, glad to hear it. looking forward to the updates bud.

jjt250
06-26-2013, 08:12 PM
So here are some updates:

Short story, I didn't get as much lift as I wanted, a little or 1/4" but I'll measure again. So that's a little disappointing, but it's not all bad. I didn't think I'd notice too much, but the ride is MUCH better IMO. Ever since I put Hemi/tow XK coils in the rear, I thought the ride was a little unbalanced. Now that I have both, it feels just right. It's not harsh at all, almost perfect in my opinion.

This is the end of my quest until I just get those sweet new 5100 Bilsteins or something even cooler like a Superlift (or both!).

Other updates, I took out Matt's 1/2" rear spacer last weekend because I wanted a more level look and I love the stance now. I'll put them back in when I get some 5100's but I don't even wanna think of tearing the front end apart again. What a nightmare that was.

My WK doesn't look THAT much higher when alone I think, but when I park next to a stock WK or see one in the parking lot, definite difference. It stands out for sure. I actually get looks when I drive by now but that might be because of the diesel haha.

Here's some pics:

Working...
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/06/IMG_20130612_184413_zpsc51007d6-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/IMG_20130612_184413_zpsc51007d6.jpg.html)

New front coils in, rear spacers out.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/06/IMG_20130622_161328_zpsddd9cdc0-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/IMG_20130622_161328_zpsddd9cdc0.jpg.html)

In the parking lot on an incline.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/06/IMG_20130615_124343_zps3e2a9ba2-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/IMG_20130615_124343_zps3e2a9ba2.jpg.html)

I think the rear leveled out a bit more since then, those were taking right after. I'll get some more/better ones later.

paroxysym
06-27-2013, 05:09 AM
so youre running a strut spacer in the front and nothing but coil in the rear?

looks great man, glad to hear some feedback on the coil upgrade. kind of confirms whether i should go with the 5100s or not when i put mine in. tires look right at home, thought of running some spacers to widen the stance?

jjt250
06-27-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks man. The final set up is Hemi XK coils front and rear, Bilstein HDs all around, and a strut spacer in the front. The tires fit really well with that set up. I was gonna wait until I found a good deal on moabs for spaces but no one is selling locally so I'm probably just gonna get some 1" Boras.

If I were you and needed new struts, I would definitely get those 5100s and set them at .75". Unfortunately, my HDs are pretty new.

1USMC
06-27-2013, 09:51 AM
You have a lot of work and sweat in her... and she looks Great because of it !

jjt250
07-02-2013, 08:48 PM
You have a lot of work and sweat in her... and she looks Great because of it !

Thanks a lot, it's great learning more about it by working on it!

Got a chance to get the Jeep a little muddy today and the Duratracs plus QDII did very well! And got a few more pics:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/07/IMG_20130702_211334_zps522322e9-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/IMG_20130702_211334_zps522322e9.jpg.html)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/07/IMG_20130702_211523_zps9920a722-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/IMG_20130702_211523_zps9920a722.jpg.html)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/07/IMG_20130702_211458_zpse4f6822d-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/IMG_20130702_211458_zpse4f6822d.jpg.html)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/07/IMG_20130702_211355_1_zpsb760a74f-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/IMG_20130702_211355_1_zpsb760a74f.jpg.html)

pjmjr508
07-02-2013, 10:11 PM
looking great

paroxysym
07-03-2013, 05:16 AM
definitely looks alot more level now, glad to see her dirty and that shes riding well.

great work.

lekmedm
07-03-2013, 07:23 AM
glad to see her dirty and that shes riding well.

great work.

Oh, my.... :rolleyes:

jjt250
07-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys!

Paroxysym, did you ever get your suspension revamp done?

paroxysym
07-05-2013, 05:46 AM
Thanks guys!

Paroxysym, did you ever get your suspension revamp done?

no, not yet. my gfs TJ has been taking up my time and some funds- that things a mess. but im hoping to get mine down to stock springs and done by the end of the year. suspension def needs a revamp thats for sure.

what are your measurements from hub to fender? just wondering what i will run in the front with XK coil + matts 1/2" spacer in the rear...

paroxysym
07-31-2013, 07:40 AM
have you wheeled it any?

ever get settled measurements? hows th ehandling now with the stiffer springs?

jjt250
07-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Yes I have, mostly mud though. Not a lot of rocks around here. I haven't gotten the measurements and honestly, I haven't thought much of it. I'm loving the stance right now. I have a buddy with an 05 4.7 Limited and my looks noticeably larger than his. Multiple people looked at his, then mine and asked if mines lifted and what all's changed. Looks awesome. As far as handling, I love it. Feels just right and balanced.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/07/IMG_20130704_122745_zps3d8a0da5-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/IMG_20130704_122745_zps3d8a0da5.jpg.html)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/07/IMG_20130704_120048_zps41110579-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/IMG_20130704_120048_zps41110579.jpg.html)

paroxysym
08-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Yes I have, mostly mud though. Not a lot of rocks around here. I haven't gotten the measurements and honestly, I haven't thought much of it. I'm loving the stance right now. I have a buddy with an 05 4.7 Limited and my looks noticeably larger than his. Multiple people looked at his, then mine and asked if mines lifted and what all's changed. Looks awesome. As far as handling, I love it. Feels just right and balanced.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/07/IMG_20130704_122745_zps3d8a0da5-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/IMG_20130704_122745_zps3d8a0da5.jpg.html)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/07/IMG_20130704_120048_zps41110579-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/IMG_20130704_120048_zps41110579.jpg.html)

that does look good, those are 245s right? badass man

jjt250
08-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Thanks man, yeah 245/70r17s.

More towing/flex pics...
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/08/photo_zps6b4a2262-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/photo_zps6b4a2262.jpg.html)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/08/photo1_zps8039770a-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/photo1_zps8039770a.jpg.html)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/08/photo2_zps6ab9c33b-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/photo2_zps6ab9c33b.jpg.html)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/08/photo4_zpsa9bf5ca8-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/photo4_zpsa9bf5ca8.jpg.html)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/08/photo5_zps718eca22-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/photo5_zps718eca22.jpg.html)

paroxysym
08-07-2013, 11:07 AM
looking good bud, i see she doesnt squat in the rear when you tow.

any measurements?

jjt250
08-07-2013, 05:06 PM
LOL you should've seen it about an hour later with 7000+ lbs attached to it. That trailer puts a lot of weight on the Jeep, even with a weight distributing hitch. I think all the pictures I've posted with the trailer were empty or like the ones above, at an angle. It handles it just fine though, never had a problem, even with 7000 lbs at 65 mph. I'll grab some measurements tonight for ya.

jjt250
09-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Anthracite grey plastidip (with gravel dust mixed in haha)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/09/photo13_zps624da2b0-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/photo13_zps624da2b0.jpg.html)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/09/photo23_zpsa54b2aa5-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/photo23_zpsa54b2aa5.jpg.html)

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/09/photo33_zps43c60a71-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/photo33_zps43c60a71.jpg.html)

Love this color, it looks awesome. I was getting tired of matte black. I got the color from dipyourcar.com. Also changed out a couple glow plugs this weekend.

What else is different here...

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/09/photo42_zps7f60699b-1.jpg (http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/Johnny_Turco/media/Jeep/photo42_zps7f60699b.jpg.html)

pjmjr508
09-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Looking Good

paroxysym
09-05-2013, 09:10 AM
looks good bud- you still running no rear spacer with the XK coils? or did you put the strut spacer in the front to level out with the rear spacer?

measurements?

such a subtle amount of lift makes a nice difference.

jjt250
09-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Sorry for such a long wait, no rear spacer. I am running a front leveling spacer, but took out the rear spacer because I wanted a more level look. I guess I should update my signature. Measurements are just over 19.5 in the front and 20.5 in the rear, which is almost exactly an inch over stock for me.

paroxysym
10-22-2013, 07:04 AM
thanks john, looks great dude.

have you taken that thing to an actual offroad park yet? lol hate to use you as a guinea pig, just wondering how this set up would do and see what would need improvements :cool:

jjt250
10-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Haha it's all good man, thanks! Unfortunately, I haven't been to an offroad park yet, the nearest one is Tuttle Creek which is like 3 hours away I think. I hit my DPF a bit too so I'm a bit paranoid about going offroad now without any skids.

07JeepXK
10-26-2013, 07:15 AM
I'd love to have the CRD diesel! Stupid question but does it have a turbo?

paroxysym
10-28-2013, 05:13 AM
I'd love to have the CRD diesel! Stupid question but does it have a turbo?

yep has a garrett gt2056v turbo

07JeepXK
10-30-2013, 06:12 AM
Nice. I thought it had one but wasn't sure

paroxysym
12-19-2013, 11:55 AM
hows it running?? any change in ride? thing settle?

jjt250
12-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Everything's running great! Ride and height has not changed since the last measurements. Only thing is, I have an annoying creak in the front passenger side suspension when I go over a large speed bump. Doesn't happen any other time. Otherwise, everything's the same and running good.

paroxysym
01-24-2014, 01:05 PM
i keep coming back to your set up as my next step, and ditching the daystar BB.

i keep pricing the bilstein HDs vs the bilstein 5100s- its going to cost the same to do the bilstein HDs and the strut spacer vs the bilstein hds rear and 5100s front. crazy how that works out.

jjt250
01-24-2014, 02:56 PM
For what it's worth, I would go 5100s all around if I could do it again. But that wasn't an option at the time and I'm happy with how it turned out. I really like the way it rides now.

paroxysym
01-25-2014, 06:28 PM
For what it's worth, I would go 5100s all around if I could do it again. But that wasn't an option at the time and I'm happy with how it turned out. I really like the way it rides now.

Really? I figured with the towing you do, the heavy duty valving of the 4600s would be the better choice. I'm still torn between the two.

jjt250
01-25-2014, 10:41 PM
I actually didn't know the 5100s were valved differently. I would still probably do 5100s in the front for the adjustability.

paroxysym
01-26-2014, 03:21 PM
I actually didn't know the 5100s were valved differently. I would still probably do 5100s in the front for the adjustability.

I stand corrected, they're both putting out 360psi of pressure

paroxysym
03-20-2014, 06:45 AM
well... looks like ill be ordering my bilstein 4600s this week as well as whatever else i need to get the 20" front/20.5-21" rear... im thinking ill be closer to 20" in the front with hemi coils and the 4.7. the crd heavier than the 4.7

im pretty pissed its going to to take till may maybe longer to get a set of adjustable 5100s. a buddy of mine that runs his own offroad business said one of his suppliers, alone has 100 orders backordered till end of april.

The_War_Wagon
03-20-2014, 10:07 AM
im pretty pissed its going to to take till may maybe longer to get a set of adjustable 5100s. a buddy of mine that runs his own offroad business said one of his suppliers, alone has 100 orders backordered till end of april.

Explains why my RC is taking so long - we're changing over to 5106's... eventually... :rolleyes:

jjt250
03-23-2014, 10:29 AM
well... looks like ill be ordering my bilstein 4600s this week as well as whatever else i need to get the 20" front/20.5-21" rear... im thinking ill be closer to 20" in the front with hemi coils and the 4.7. the crd heavier than the 4.7

That's sucks about the wait for 5100's but I think you'll be happy with your decision. I have no regrets with mine.

Watch my GoPro come off my Jeep and land on a gravel road going 60+ MPH!

http://youtu.be/lFqZhdtroyI

paroxysym
03-23-2014, 02:19 PM
I don't think I'll have any regrets- I measured and my daystar is sitting at 21" both front and rear. So I'll be losing an inch in height which I doubt will be that noticeable. Going with a 245/75 on powdercoated moabs I found.. $250 for all 5 with TPMS

jjt250
03-23-2014, 04:17 PM
That sounds like a good deal, can't wait to see it all put together. What color are the Moabs powdercoated? Also, are you throwing a leveling spacer in the front too?

paroxysym
03-23-2014, 04:51 PM
That sounds like a good deal, can't wait to see it all put together. What color are the Moabs powdercoated? Also, are you throwing a leveling spacer in the front too?

They're powdercoated black, so I'm pretty much going back to where I was 3 years ago with my WK... Same rims, same scheme, smaller lift.

I'm going with the JBA spacer mostlikely, and hopefully being as the 4.7 is lighter than the CRD- I can squeak out maybe 20" maybe 20.5" in the front and throw matts spacer in the rear to get 21" or less. I gotta get her done by may cause Junes full of baby prep.

07JeepXK
03-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Why would you want to go smaller lift??

paroxysym
03-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Why would you want to go smaller lift??

My shocks and poly BB have 60k+ on them, I'm redoing everything on my suspension and I don't wheel. Looking for an improved ride and a nice stance for my daily driver. So I'm losing an inch of lift while removing my spacers and swapping in hemi XK springs front/rear... With a baby due here in 3 months jeep times going to be extremely limited and I want reliability- so no lift stressing my rack and other parts, just a nice ride and stance and the abilit to fit a decent size tire.

Make sense? Lol

07JeepXK
03-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Yeah. Was confused at first. Most people add lift lol

paroxysym
04-25-2014, 03:05 PM
John are the XK coils side specific?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jjt250
04-27-2014, 02:49 PM

No, I don't believe they are.

Edit: I'm pretty sure on the fronts they aren't. I'm not 100% sure about the rears, but you could check the the thickness of the coils. Front what I could tell when I installed mine, none of them were side specific and my lift is pretty consistent around the vehicle, with or without a full tank of fuel.

paroxysym
04-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Thank you sir- they'll be installed in 2wks FINALLY. Looking to see where I sit in comparison to the CRD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjt250
04-27-2014, 03:57 PM
No problem! I suspect you'll sit between 20"-20.5".

pjmjr508
04-28-2014, 08:17 PM

I know on the OME springs for the XK it is thicker on the drivers side to make up for the gas tank, unsure if the same for the factory XK coils.

07JeepXK
04-29-2014, 02:19 AM
I know on the OME springs for the XK it is thicker on the drivers side to make up for the gas tank, unsure if the same for the factory XK coils.

It's actually 10mm taller for the drivers side rear OME spring. Not thicker

paroxysym
04-29-2014, 04:38 AM

so with the stock springs i should be able to tell which one is the drivers side based on height uninstalled? im pretty sure the labels are not legible

07JeepXK
05-01-2014, 02:18 PM
so with the stock springs i should be able to tell which one is the drivers side based on height uninstalled? im pretty sure the labels are not legible

OME rear coils the drivers side is 10mm taller than the passenger side. I'm not sure if OEM stock coils are like that. They might be the same height. Measure them and if one is taller than the other put it on the drivers side rear

pjmjr508
05-03-2014, 08:52 PM

Your Right

lekmedm
05-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Your Right

His right what?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

pjmjr508
05-04-2014, 04:50 PM
that it was taller not thicker.

lekmedm
05-05-2014, 05:25 AM
that it was taller not thicker.

I was just teasing, Phil. "You're (you are) right." not "Your right." like "...your right foot?"

I saw someting on FB where someone created a new word: "thiery're" to solve the conundrum over which to use: their, there, or they're.

paroxysym
05-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Well finally wrapped my version of this up on my 4.7. Did the bilstein HDs on all 4 corners, JBA strut spacer up front and matts 1/2" spacer in the rear. Also I installed all new isolators as well. Right now it's sitting at 19.5" hub to fender/34" ground to fender in the front AND 22.5" hub to fender/36" ground to fender in the rear. I didn't expect that much in the rear to be honest. Hopefully it settles and the front stays where it's at. I did. Price that the rear is 1/2" different on each side(passenger side being higher) and that's after I swapped the springs from left to right- twice. Nothing made a difference.

Matt
05-09-2014, 11:41 AM
How much gas is in the tank?

paroxysym
05-09-2014, 12:12 PM
How much gas is in the tank?

Right now there's a 1/4 tank.. Yesterday when here was a a 1/2" there was a a 1/2 tank.

I can't believe the ass end is higher than it was with my BB.

jjt250
05-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Wow that's high in the rear. You did XK Hemi coils all around, too? I actually took out my Matt's 1/2" spacer in the rear because I wanted a more leveled look but even with it in, it was never 22.5". I would take out that rear spacer and also see if it settles anymore.

paroxysym
05-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Wow that's high in the rear. You did XK Hemi coils all around, too? I actually took out my Matt's 1/2" spacer in the rear because I wanted a more leveled look but even with it in, it was never 22.5". I would take out that rear spacer and also see if it settles anymore.

Yea looks like I'll ride around a week on it and take it out.

Are you running a rear swaybar john?

jjt250
05-09-2014, 06:54 PM
Let us know the results- the back shouldn't be up that high. Yeah I'm running stock links and sway bars f/r

paroxysym
05-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Let us know the results- the back shouldn't be up that high. Yeah I'm running stock links and sway bars f/r

Yea I'm stumped as to why the ass is so high. Did you install new isolators when you did yours? Hopefully it settles without the spacer to 21" at least.

jjt250
05-09-2014, 10:40 PM
No I didn't install new isolators with mine but I only had ~45,000 miles when I upgraded. They looked to be in good condition at the time.

paroxysym
05-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Well drivers side has settled to 20.5" and the passenger sides sitting at 21.5". I'm thinking of taking both 1/2" spacers out- adding an additional isolator to the drivers side and that should bring it down to roughly 20.5" on the drivers side and 21" on the passenger.

Sorry for filling your thread with my BS john

jjt250
05-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Maybe try swapping the springs on either side? Maybe they are side specific...I think that could be the solution to your problem.

No worries man, that's why the thread is here.

Matt
05-15-2014, 04:36 AM
I'd just take out the passenger side spacer and see where that puts you....might get you closer than you think due to the slight change in weight distribution.

paroxysym
05-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Rears officially level- 20.75" on both sides. Removed the 1/2" spacer, replaced the top isolator with an actual isolator, since I originally ordered the wrong ones and added an extra isolator to the drivers side.

Happy. Lol

paroxysym
08-01-2014, 02:12 PM
So to update on johns setup on my WK- still dumbfounded. 20.5" in the rear and just under 19" and above 18.5" in the front. Tempted to add another strut spacer or drop the rear with SRT springs so it sits at 19" or so