PDA

View Full Version : Spare Tire Mount

Core XK
01-29-2013, 11:34 AM
I removed my tire from the spare tire holder thinking it was causing a noise; however, it was not the tire at all and it was a simple loose shock bolt.

Yesterday I went to put the tire back up and the wire literally would not come down (I have removed/put back this tire multiple times) so I do know how it works lol

I crawled under and seen a piece of the black plastic ring was broken off but I don't think it would prevent it from coming down to hook the tire on. I turned this thing both ways just to be sure and after a few turns each way it starts to click like its locking the tire when its fully positioned.

Anyone ever have this issue? I am starting to think its simply broken but I really don't want to take it in for this lol

hoaxci5
01-29-2013, 11:47 AM
I broke one about a year ago, it's easy to replace but the part is about $60.

Mine wouldn't raise or lower so that was my indication it was broke :)

Core XK
01-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Lol Then its probably broke

Damnit

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Matt
01-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Got that roof rack on yet?? :)

Matt
01-29-2013, 12:31 PM
........ have you had someone pull down on the cable while you try unwinding it? Sometimes they need some weight

Core XK
01-30-2013, 03:28 PM
Roof racks on and looks great. I'll have to find our camera and post some pics!

I did try and pull down while she winded it. I may give it 1 more try for the hell of it but if not I may go get if fixed.

Havn't been on here much due to wedding planning, school, and work....been a bit crazy for me :)

hoaxci5
01-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Unless it's under warranty just order the part and replace it (or drive here and I'll help if you need/want)

edit: I had to look where you were in relation to Matt, we're about the same distance for you :)

Matt
01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Time to put the tire on the roof...

06JeepXKHEMI
01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
I agree!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Matt
01-30-2013, 09:30 PM
....i also have a roof rack mount for you that's cheaper than the stock spare hoist replacement! :cool:

Core XK
01-31-2013, 11:44 AM
I actually don't mind throwing it on the roof HOWEVER my fiance's response is...."You live in Bensalem not in an african safari" which I thought was funny because I am going for the safari ride look! JESUS!

I only have 25k miles I wonder if Jeep would fix it for free? but maybe they won't once they know it's an oversized spare? lol.....

Side note: I hope to make it to a spring/summer RC trip for Green Trails only. We will see whats going on by then. I do ned to save some cash to do rear brakes and fluid changes probably in 5k miles. The only money I will be putting into the XK for awhile is routine maintenance. I also have to take it in for an oil change at 26k. Jeep owes me a free fully synthetic oil change :O

Wedding/House planning has me pretty strapped on cash which is simply more important right now

Matt
01-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Lol thats funny man. Didn't she buy you a "safari rack"? *wink wink*

Core XK
01-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Lol thats funny man. Didn't she buy you a "safari rack"? *wink wink*

lmao no that was from my mom but she agrees with my fiance of course!

Matt
01-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Well you can make the case that the back of the XK is a bad design because you can't access the spare tire easily if you have a lot of cargo in the back. Think about it, you'd have to unload all the cargo to get to the spare tire screw and then also be able to spin it down/up. Thus, it just makes common sense to put it on that roof rack of yours :cool: