PDA

View Full Version : Winch Plate

06JeepXKHEMI
01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Hey Jon, I went through the entire bumper thread to see if you confirmed the plate would work with the stock bumper but wasnt able to find anything definitive... Will that plate work? If so, whats the cost and if I were to buy a winch/plate combo is there an idea of what that would run? Looking to do this probably within the next month or two, sliders will be ordered first but this is a mod Im definitely wanting to do after my adventures during lunch and almost getting stuck!!!

LWM
01-31-2013, 05:20 PM
I need to test fit the plate on a XK with a plastic bumper to confirm the location is correct and then they are ready to go. I have a WK coming in in mid February for those guys and I will talk to a local guy who is picking up OME stuff to see if we can test fit the plate on his XK.

06JeepXKHEMI
01-31-2013, 05:26 PM
OK cool let me know..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Matt
02-01-2013, 08:10 AM
I'll be watching this too. While I will eventually have a full front bumper, this would allow me to do it in stages.

Also take a look at the Engo winches. E9000S seems to be popular around my local clubs and is very affordable for a synthetic line winch at <$450

07JeepXK
02-01-2013, 08:29 AM
I'm also interested. The GF told me I need a winch. She doesn't like when I wheel with only two vehicles

06JeepXKHEMI
02-01-2013, 08:39 AM
I was driving around during lunch came across a trail going through power lines and decided to take a look.. Well that turned into thick much, duh snow just melted, and really put the MTRs, QDII and HEMI to the test.. Thats why I want a winch so I have the ability to wheel without worry. A steel bumper for a DD just doesnt make logical sense with the limited wheeling I do so winch plate with modded bumper is my plan..

Matt
02-01-2013, 08:49 AM
I just want to get to the point where people dont believe me when I tell them its a Commander! Lol I often get asked "what kind of jeep is that?" And after I say its a Commander they say "oh cool ive never seen one like that!".... swap out the bumpers and its really going to puzzle people! Lol

And I did almost rip my front bumper off during my last wheeling trip...it'll be nice to have something that doesn't flex/crack when I have an "oops" moment. :)

06JeepXKHEMI
02-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Yea I get that all the time when I go down to the local wheeling spot down by the river, everyone asks what is that and why are you bringing it here?!?! I just laugh and say watch me, I think they are more shocked at the noise and capability than anything, everyone is out there wit XJs and wranglers.. Its amazing when I see a stock Commander on the road, people look at me like damn thats what mine could look like, they look so pathetic stock!!

Core XK
02-01-2013, 11:42 AM
oh yes I have gotten multiple "Huh?" "When did Jeep make that"? ......However, everytime I pass a XK on the road its a damn woman! lol

I did have one guy stare me down in his tinted out XK a few weeks ago

And I only have ever seen (1) lifted XK but I think she bought it that way

Matt
02-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Any updates? I bet we could get a good order going... Andrew + Adam + Matt +......

Jon, do you have a drawing for the winch plate? I can take a look at the dimensions and see how I think it'll work on my XK; could even do the test fit for you here.

cabledog25
02-17-2013, 07:16 AM
im interested in this too

stites-xk
02-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Me too!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Matt
02-17-2013, 08:12 AM
I have been eyeing up some fancy rear shocks with my tax return money... but am open to doing this instead. I have shocks, but i dont have a winch mount! :p

Jon do you have any pics of what you've put together so far? I don't remember if you ever adjusted your design to mount the winch "bottom" forward to reduce height and access the clutch release from under the bumper.

I've been waiting to see the outcome of this install:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/saguaro-hidden-winch-mount-talon-9-5-a-1458706/

LWM
02-17-2013, 11:37 AM
I have been eyeing up some fancy rear shocks with my tax return money... but am open to doing this instead. I have shocks, but i dont have a winch mount! :p

Jon do you have any pics of what you've put together so far? I don't remember if you ever adjusted your design to mount the winch "bottom" forward to reduce height and access the clutch release from under the bumper.

I've been waiting to see the outcome of this install:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/saguaro-hidden-winch-mount-talon-9-5-a-1458706/

I am hoping to get a WK in this month to help wit the redesign so that I can turn my current mount to the bottom forward position which is essential to our set-up. My current plate does not allow enough room for that orientation and although my winch is hidden with the feet down the bumper is too tall for most people to like the design.

cabledog25
02-17-2013, 11:43 AM
when do you think you will have one ready for install? i would love to have a hidden winch by mid april.

I would be a tester if you need any.

LWM
02-17-2013, 10:15 PM
when do you think you will have one ready for install? i would love to have a hidden winch by mid april.

I would be a tester if you need any.

I pray I can knock it out before the end of February but as always I am at the mercy of the fab shops to fit my projects in.

cabledog25
02-18-2013, 03:25 AM
Do you have an approximate price Jon?

LWM
02-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Do you have an approximate price Jon?

That will depend on current steel price and waterjet but off the top of my head I think they run me around $100.

cabledog25
02-18-2013, 11:11 AM
thats a good price, you can deff add me for one of the first ones.

06JeepXKHEMI
02-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Yup me to!

cabledog25
02-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Yup me to!

HEY HEY NOW I called first dibs!!! hahaha :p

06JeepXKHEMI
02-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Hahaha I believe I started this thread, wierd.. hahahahahaha

cabledog25
02-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Its okay little ducky, dont get mad that I called first dibs on it :D hahahaha

adud83
12-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Hey Jon is there any update on the winch plate? I assume this goes under the factory bumper. Thanks, Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

LWM
12-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Hey Jon is there any update on the winch plate? I assume this goes under the factory bumper. Thanks, Adam

Yes, this will replace your OEM crossbar and conceal the winch behind your stock plastic bumper.

The hidden winch pro-type is at the fabricators and should be ready in the VERY near future, this will be much better than the original one that this thread is about..

adud83
12-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Please keep me updated, this is the way I want to go. I can get this installed and sneak and winch in there while my wife's at her Moms one weekend. 😉 Any idea on a price and will this be bolt on? Looking forward to that new website rolling out too.

LWM
12-03-2013, 10:33 PM
Please keep me updated, this is the way I want to go. I can get this installed and sneak and winch in there while my wife's at her Moms one weekend. �� Any idea on a price and will this be bolt on? Looking forward to that new website rolling out too.

You will have to remove your front crossbar (takes about an hour with the right tools), then bolt up the winch mount and re-install your bumper.

adud83
12-04-2013, 12:53 PM
If you could update this post with a price and some pics when it is available that would be great!

Ross
12-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Just checked out the new website, nice pics! After looking at the website though, I'm confused as to what makes the winch plate worth 600$. That's only 35$ less than a whole new steel bumper with winch mount from blue lake offroad. Not trying to hate or anything, just curious...

LWM
12-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Just checked out the new website, nice pics! After looking at the website though, I'm confused as to what makes the winch plate worth 600$. That's only 35$ less than a whole new steel bumper with winch mount from blue lake offroad. Not trying to hate or anything, just curious...

The item on the web site is a filler for the complete hidden winch assembly which includes a cradle for the winch and all the mounting braces and brackets to support the hood latch and headlights. The Price point of $600 is HIGH but will come down as soon as the prototype is complete and I receive my billing. I would rather drop the price then raise it later.

The Winch Plate is as you pointed out is just a piece of metal that is shaped and has mounting holes, It is MUCH less but I have to contact the fabricator who has the plans in his water jet computer and get a current price.

Ross
12-05-2013, 06:36 PM
That's good to hear. Now that you explain it, I see why; better to lower the price later than raise it. The Steel Armadillo is really making some innovative stuff lately, I'm interested in how the rear diff skid does on the rocks!

JustinS
12-05-2013, 07:28 PM
I have a feeling that SA is going to make me poor very soon.

adud83
12-05-2013, 08:19 PM
I was pretty stoked about the plate till I saw the price, glad to hear it will be coming down some. I know it's quality stuff, like psyco said not hating. I think Jon is gonna get me in trouble with my wife.