PDA

View Full Version : Removing factory flap over air intake

jeepcommander
02-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Hi Guys,

Instead of a CAI (I am scared of the water issues) I have just removed the flat flap that covers the front of the air intake tube behind the grill that goes to the factory box. From what I can see this should provide a clear path from the grill straight into the factory box which is still offering protection to the intake against the elements. Short of dunking it in a river and taking water straight in do you think rain etc will make its way up the tube and into the filter box?

thanks

Matt
02-06-2013, 09:48 AM
yes, removing that shield will induce more rain/water/dirt flow into your intake..... and for no real benefit. Especially for daily driving you're not going to see any improvement and therefore the risks just arent worth it IMO.

if you're going to make a few passes at the track one night, go ahead and remove it to make yourself feel better. Otherwise id recommend leaving it on. $.02

06JeepXKHEMI
02-06-2013, 10:02 AM
I agree with MAtt, when I installed my k&n I noticed a huge problem with water getting in so I made a custompieces to go in behind the grill and under the intake to protect it, Ill post up the link..

06JeepXKHEMI
02-06-2013, 10:03 AM
here ya go.. http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?1939-k-amp-n-Intake-Modification

Core XK
02-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Yeah I would take Matt's advice as well. I intended to do this and actually removed it myself. There was no benefit that is noticable. I ended up doing what Matt did and just replacing the intake tube as well as the air filter and keeping the stock airbox. This provides more then enough air then stock at the same time keeping water out.

BonesWK
02-07-2013, 07:17 AM
If you are looking for an intake, try AFE - it uses the bottom 3/4 of the stock airbox. Thus keeping the design. Though my only complaint with it, is it does not remove the big air silencer that sits on top of the engine..

peteyturbo
02-07-2013, 10:42 PM
I noticed an air intake temperature of 8 degrees lower just by removing the shield the OP is talking about, and that is an average value (at highway speeds). YMMV if you are using a stock intake system. If you do off roading and splashing through rivers I would not reccomend it but it sure as crap wouldn't save you from hydrolock as is..Although I use an AFE intake (full kit) that does not totally seal the charge to draw air 100% from that location. Also my afe intake totally removes the big silencer and is a very nice peice, like bones said it uses the lower half of the factory airbox in which it clips onto..

BonesWK
02-08-2013, 06:47 AM
I noticed an air intake temperature of 8 degrees lower just by removing the shield the OP is talking about, and that is an average value (at highway speeds). YMMV if you are using a stock intake system. If you do off roading and splashing through rivers I would not reccomend it but it sure as crap wouldn't save you from hydrolock as is..Although I use an AFE intake (full kit) that does not totally seal the charge to draw air 100% from that location. Also my afe intake totally removes the big silencer and is a very nice peice, like bones said it uses the lower half of the factory airbox in which it clips onto..

No to hijack but... I didnt know they made a full kit that removed the big air silencer. I need to check into that. FWIW my intake is almost 5 years old and still is in great shape. Couldnt be happier with AFE.

peteyturbo
02-11-2013, 09:23 PM
No to hijack but... I didnt know they made a full kit that removed the big air silencer. I need to check into that. FWIW my intake is almost 5 years old and still is in great shape. Couldnt be happier with AFE.

Probably due to the fact I have the 5.7 as opposed to the 4.7.. Also my iats were probably lower because with my intake, air is not 100% pulled from the front like stock, so removing the shield helped force some cool air in.. A stock intake pulls from that same location 100% so there would not be any gains or lower temps from removing this peice. Just to clarify:)

lekmedm
02-12-2013, 03:34 PM
I kind of wonder what the value is for installing a CAI just to box it off for fear of ingesting water. Wouldn't a drop-in K&N filter (or similar) be a better choice?

06JeepXKHEMI
02-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Have you looked at my mod? I didn't box it off entirely but rather used thin rubber pieces to protect underneath and so there isn't a straight shot for water to get to filter, but allows more than enough air to get by.. As others have said there aren't many gains to a CAI, only on top end, but making it breathe easier May help mpgs which in my case definitely did.. a drop-in filter is what many have done but the true benefits are eliminating that baffle box and putting in a straight tube, creates less turbulence and easier flow. Many people have taken that intake from an SRT8 which doesn't have that box, gives great sound and still protects from water as the stock system does. Also one thing to note a cold air intake really isn't cold air, but rather hot air from inside the engine bay, a snorkel, IMO is really the only true cold air intake..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

lekmedm
02-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I understand what your mod is, and I admire you for taking some initiative to try out something new, just like with your exhaust mod. I wish I could hear it in person. Maybe someday. :D

06JeepXKHEMI
02-13-2013, 04:13 AM
Going to Rausch creek again next mth....

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2