PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for a living?

LWM
06-12-2010, 09:23 AM
This is a place to share what you do for a living, you never know you might just find another member who does the same thing!

LWM
06-12-2010, 09:25 AM
I am a Sergeant with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office in Maricopa County, Arizona with Federal 287g Duties.

CUPRA
06-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm a Graphic Designer for Allied Electronics, one of the largest Electronic and Electromechanical component distributors in the USA.

Sal-XK
06-15-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm a SSG in the 82nd Airborne Division. My MOS 11BP (Infantry-Parachute ).

redrockv8
06-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Sorry guys but my job is better than all of yours. I'm retired and my mission is to find interesting places to drive my Commander and do as I please. Just came back from a 3,700 mile trip out West and visited 7 National Parks...My Commander performed like a dream...Headed to Jellystone next month.
Thanks to the law enforcement and military members for ensuring my safety while traveling around this beautiful country.
HT

NeilSmith
06-19-2010, 01:51 PM
I dont jump out of airplanes, boo hoo ! I just paint cars.

cico7
06-19-2010, 01:52 PM
I am an Insurance Agent. Primarily commercial business.
I specialize in amusements rides/devices and related entertainment business,
used car dealers, and bars.

Doc in AZ
06-19-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm a SSG in the 82nd Airborne Division. My MOS 11BP (Infantry-Parachute ).

we used to call the ground pounders " 11 bang-bang's " (no disrespect my dad was one too)
i used to play elevator in my blackhawk for the guys to jump out.

me? well, i'm just a dumb weldor ~~~~>https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2010/06/CardLogo150-2.jpg

HueyPilotVN
06-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Doc, There is nothing dumb about your welding. I have seen your work and I see nothing dumb about it.

I have had an unusual and enjoyable career. I have alway said that if you enjoy your occupation then it is not really work. After returning from Nam I spent the next ten years working in Ophthalmology. In the early 1980's I built one of the first Ambulatory Surgery Centers in the country for our practice. For most of the next 20 years I designed and developed over 100 ASC's all around the country. I enjoy traveling comfortably so I chose a career that matched my desire to travel. The last 13 years have mostly been invested in the development and manufacturing of Mobile Surgery Facilities that match the regulatory compliance standards of a hospital or ASC for licensing and medicare certification. The easiest way to describe what I do its to visit our web site if you are interested at www.amohs.com.

Doc in AZ
06-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Doc, There is nothing dumb about your welding. I have seen your work and I see nothing dumb about it.

it's a joke... i have an I.Q. of 165 (seriously) and started my college courses while i was still in 9th grade, i was a business major with 7 semesters of japanese under my belt preparing for international business. i have always prefered working with my hands and read a report that there were no blue collar workers left and the business degree just put you first in line to flip a Big Mac. i followed the mechanical side of my skills which lead me to being a maintenance engineer. through my studies i learned to "see" the failure before it was built which lead me to where i am.

Stone Soup is actually my 4th start up business. i owned 2 tattoo shops with piercing studios in germany until i needed to return to the states to spend time with my sister who wasn't going to be with us much longer. i spent time at a buddy's shop building chassis, engines, sand rails & race cars then went out on my own. i had a mobile welding business that grew into a general contracting company and a welding shop.

my wife is a member of MENSA but i declined due to their stuffy attitudes and know i am much more than a "dumb weldor" but i like to play the roll ;)

powerslave1966
06-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Real Estate Title Examiner for Landtitle USA.

Adondo
06-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Two-way radio technician. (Police, fire, dispatch centers, Hanford Nuclear comm systems, etc.) And, no, I do NOT work on CB's. :) I've been with this company for 32 years.

I'm also a locksmith, and have a degree in refrigeration. I just do company related work, I don't go out at night and unlock cars for people, or fix fridges.

I quit after the 8th grade, GED'ed out, (Never did see the inside of a high school) and was wiring houses all by myself at 16. I didn't even have a driver's license yet... I'd get dropped off at the new house with a pile of wire, breaker panel, switch boxes, a Hole-hog drill, and the set of plans for the house, and I'd go to work. Later, I got into commercial electrical, (which was more fun) and by 18, got hired on as a temp by Motorola. I was ''stole away'' from Motorola in '78, and have been here ever since.

My side jobs for many years, (Mainly for friends etc.) is wiring race Jeeps and hotrods. There's been a few fun ones such as a '46 Ford flat nose truck. It has a mid engine 426 Hemi with a Roots blower on top. All the engine electronics went under the seat in the cab. The guy built a cage over the engine. (Like an animal cage at a zoo) Despite weighing about 9,500 lbs. the truck will do zero to 60 in about 5 seconds. The original duels were replaced with 3 foot wide racing slicks.

My hobbies include playing with lasers with enough power to drill holes and leave the mark of Zorro, flying, boating, hiking, Jeeping, (Duh) and traveling the USA in a 40 diesel motorcoach.

HueyPilotVN
06-25-2010, 03:19 PM
I have met Adondo and I would swear that he has a PHD in several fields. He is a great source of information for this and other web sites. Hopefully he will post some of his projects such as his much easier to build storage box for the third seat area.

GPintheMitten
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm a retired Analyst/Programmer ...retired in 2002. Then I became a carpenter of sorts, bending nails on a little 2 bedroom home I bought, gutted and rebuilt as new. I was pretty proud of that project. Then I went to truck driving school and drove a big truck all over the country. In the first 6 months, I was in every one of the 48 lower states. Drove a few years, some full-time, some part-time. Now fully retired and my job is to keep Joany happy. Joany and I got married almost 4 years ago and she is a sweety.

Hobbies are sailing my Catalina 30 in Lake Michigan, gardening, playing "up north" in Michigan year round and taking a spin every now and then off-road in my Commander.

cico7
07-30-2010, 04:08 AM
I sell insurance. But you don't want to buy from me. I dont write life and health, I dont want to write auto and home owners insurance, and most policies I write start at $5000 a year. I specialize in amusement rides, bars and used car dealers. I told my attorney he should find someone other than me to write his auto and home insurance. But he said no.

Other than me, who is self employed/unemployed?
When I talk about past jobs, employed by someone else, I usually say"When I had a job".
Self employed/unemployed are almost the same to me.

wrenchin hobo
07-30-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm just a dumb tech (to steal doc's saying). But for me it's pretty true. ASE master certifed and currently working on Mercedes at a local stealership. Before this I was
managing a shop called Frank Racing and building late model Hemi cars and trucks. Prior to that I worked for Hennessey Performance where I was just referred to as the hemi tech. I did however get to spin wrenches on some Vipers, ford gt's, prowlers, and porches before I left. I own a small business which does some pArts sales in my spare time and have plans on opening a shop in the next few years.

Maybe I just need to go to work for Doc to get some learnin on how to properly run a business and how to fabricate.

Glad to be a part of a community of great Jeep owners here.

J

bruijr
07-30-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm working for Fokker Aerostructures. This is a Dutch company making airplane parts for almost every major aircraft manufacturer. We make parts for Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Airbus, Gulfstream, NH Industries, Dassault, Bombardier and more. For more than seven years now I've been relocated as a Manufacturing Engineer at our US customers during the design en development phases of new aircraft (re)design. My main task is checking produceability and developing manufacturing strategies for detail parts to final structure assemblies made out of aluminum, titanium and composites (mainly carbon fiber part).
I've worked five years at Lockheed Martin in Fort Worth, TX on the F-35 and now for over two years at Boeing in Mesa, AZ on the AH-64 Apache.
Before my relocation I was a Production Engineer for sweveral other programs at our facilities in the Netherlands.

brendon
08-04-2010, 08:11 PM
I build and test the LEAP series atom probes seen here: http://www.cameca.com/instruments-for-research/atom-probe.aspx

After stunt driver, this IS my dream job.

Sal-XK
09-29-2010, 09:10 AM
BUMP for the new guys to chime in

DEERE G
09-29-2010, 05:39 PM
I am a shop supervisor for a custom plastic fabrication company. I am a DVS certified thermo-plastics welder.
We build anything a customer wants made from plastic sheet, rod, pipe, etc. We build chemical storage vessels, powder coat paint booth canopies, dipping tanks, and much more. We use various CNC machines; routers, lathes, benders, 150" panel saw.
I have been in the plastic fab. biz for almost 20 yrs.

My part time job is taking care of my reef aquariums.

superacerc
09-29-2010, 07:03 PM
US Coast Guard. Vessel Inspector. At the moment I inspect foreign vessels and on occasion US Vessels.

jcoulter
09-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Holy crap! Lots of great people with great careers! Mine seems so blah in comparison but I love it. Got a Army civilian job with the federal government for JMTC on the Rock Island Arsenal just over 3 years ago. Basically warehousing and shipping. I've had my hand on lots of stuff going to our soldiers over in Iraq and Afghanistan. I'm currently on a detail in our weld shop as an Expediter and I help get the Gunner Protection Kits for HMMVV's and other armor through our factory and to the guys and gals keeping us safe.

Sure it's a ho-hum job but I never served in the military so this is my way of helping out.

El Comandante
09-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Currently I'm an analyst at a healthcare IT company. I also have a degree in audio engineering so I worked in the entertainment industry for quite a few years. As a hobby I also DJ'd for quite some time as a mobile, club, and radio DJ. I recently finally called it quits for good with the DJ business since I don't have much free time for that due to work, being a single dad, and always keeping myself busy with projects around the house. I'm a major gear head so I love electronics and have a lot of things at home that I probably don't need. My Jeep is my latest passion and hobby and I have a feeling this one will stay with me for quite some time probably until my son can take over and work on his own Jeep, I'll just tag along for the ride.

brendon
09-30-2010, 08:44 PM
My part time job is taking care of my reef aquariums.

That's more than a part time job! Actually I let mine take care of themselves - the algea feeds the fish, the fish feed the algea, repeat - circle of life.

DEERE G
10-01-2010, 03:53 AM
That's more than a part time job! Actually I let mine take care of themselves - the algea feeds the fish, the fish feed the algea, repeat - circle of life.

Yeah, My tanks are kind of high maintenance. I spend an average of about an hour a day on them. When the family allows it. I like the "circle of life" idea though. :-)

06blkhemi
10-07-2010, 05:11 PM
I work for a company called PRC Laser. I'm a Final Assembly Tech,fancy name meaning I put CO2 cutting lasers together and get them ready for our test dept to well test ! I also dabbled in HVAC for a few years. Also worked as a mechanic at the local Mitsubishi dealership,and before that I work at my local hobby store to help support my RC Plane addiction !

07JeepXK
10-07-2010, 06:55 PM
I got promoted to E-6 (Staff Sergeant) today!

LWM
10-07-2010, 10:36 PM

Congratulations!

07JeepXK
10-08-2010, 03:31 AM
Thank you!

superacerc
10-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Congrats on the advancement! What's your MOS?

Sal-XK
10-08-2010, 07:02 AM
NICE I guess I owe you punch in the chest now

07JeepXK
10-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Congrats on the advancement! What's your MOS?

31B - Military police. However i got the promotion through the 106th Regiment (RTI) out of NY. So ill be an instructor for 31B reclass. I'm also on Active Duty orders right now through the NY PTAE (Pre-mobilization Training Assistance Element). We train/certify soldiers (units) getting ready to go to deploy overseas.

NICE I guess I owe you punch in the chest now

I still prefer the way soldiers got pinned back in the day when we still had BDU's. To bad everything is hook and pile tape (velcro) now.

Sal-XK
10-08-2010, 11:16 AM
I still prefer the way soldiers got pinned back in the day when we still had BDU's. To bad everything is hook and pile tape (velcro) now.

I ruined a pair of BDU's getting promoted. When I got my CIB that was old school my squad leader turned my badge into a U shape he hit so hard the blood came out of the ACU's though. You can still have fun with the "Velcro" just put them up a against a wall and have at it. I'll have to post some vids of some promotions LOL I still might hit you when I see you LOL

kitkat
10-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Jeez...I am nowhere near as exciting as most of you...
I am a sales rep for a flooring manufacturer..TORLYS...we make laminate, cork, hardwood and LEATHER flooring
Great company and they pay my gas and pay for my Commander

wrenchin hobo
10-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Ok must ask for pics of your flooring

I'm wanting to do hardwood but the cork sounds very cool

is it durable? And what does leather flooring look like and does it come with the whips and chains?

kitkat
10-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Whips and chains optional

Go to torlys.com..cork has been around as long as hardwood but I think it is a better product, quiet, soft and warm...and doesn't dent like wood

pyraxiate
02-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Law enforcement officer in Baltimore City, Maryland here for going on 6 years :) Previously an I.T. guru though lol. ( networks , servers, hardware repair down to component levels ).

pyraxiate
02-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Congrats !

Edit: Sorry I just realized the post date was back in 2010....my apologies for resurrecting a dead thread :/

Matt
02-02-2015, 10:32 AM
Resurrect away man..... we're not your normal "forum".... can leave your flame suit at home :)

Sal-XK
02-02-2015, 02:48 PM
I use to bump these types of threads every so often. I guess I'm slacking!

AJeepZJ
02-03-2015, 05:17 PM
I create powerpoints and attend meetings all day... it's great :(

Sal-XK
02-03-2015, 07:48 PM
I create powerpoints and attend meetings all day... it's great :(

Yup! sounds like an officers job to me LOL

sodakjeep
02-09-2015, 10:48 PM
Appraiser

lekmedm
02-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Appraiser
You go around yelling, "Can I get an amen?!"???

That's a great kind of praise. ;)

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

AJeepZJ
06-20-2015, 05:54 AM
Don't know if anyoe is in Missouri, but seems my time here at Fort Bragg is done. (A shame we didn't hang out more, Sal). Anyway, Leave for an XO position at Ft Wood July 24th.

frtgy89
06-21-2015, 04:19 AM
Retired in 2011. 32 yrs driving, 2/3 of it driving in the N.E. out of Buffalo,NY. Last 10 1/2 in Louisville, KY working local/yard. UPS last employer. 4 yrs Navy in fleet amphibious forces 75-79.

Sal-XK
06-21-2015, 02:56 PM
Don't know if anyoe is in Missouri, but seems my time here at Fort Bragg is done. (A shame we didn't hang out more, Sal). Anyway, Leave for an XO position at Ft Wood July 24th.

It sucks I choose a job that kept me on the road weeks at a time. I didn't get to hang out with anyone. Now I'm at home and your leaving LOL

Holiday Jones
06-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Supervisor for local construction contractor.

coophadley
07-02-2015, 06:28 PM
high school. lol ;)