PDA

View Full Version : OEM Adjustable Front and Rear Sway bar end links

07JeepXK
02-27-2013, 01:22 PM
I gave my buddy Bob an idea to lengthen his oem sway bar end links to make up for the OME HD lift and this is what he came up with. Not only did he lengthen the end links, but he made them totally adjustable. He cut the oem links in half, welded one end of the link to the sleeve and the other end of the link is threaded into the sleeve. Im going to pickup a set of new oem front links in the next few weeks so he can hook me up with a set. I already have the JKS rear quick disconnects so i wont need the rears. Let me know what you guys think.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/02/link2_zps42a69b26-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/02/link3_zpsf9b5da3f-1.jpg

...and the final product. Just needs paint.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/02/link4_zps4717596b-1.jpg

Matt
02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Looks awesome man. I was enjoying the texts while sitting in a boring meeting. :)

07JeepXK
02-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Haha nice. They are getting installed tomorrow night when he gets out of work.

07JeepXK
02-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Bob installed the rear links last night. At the shortest length, they are 2 inches longer than the oem rear links and can be adjusted a few inches longer. So they would work with a 4 inch lift also. The fronts are going on tonight when he gets out of work.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/02/link5_zps2921bff9-1.jpg

thance
02-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Looks awesome to me. How much would he want for front and rear?

Doesn't JBA sell adjustable quick release links for the front?

Ross
02-28-2013, 12:03 PM

Yea they sell discos for the front aswell, I would be interested in getting a set front and rear if ya'll want to sell some.

07JeepXK
02-28-2013, 01:23 PM

Yes JBA does, but I'm sure they cost double what it cost my buddy to build these.

Yea they sell discos for the front aswell, I would be interested in getting a set front and rear if ya'll want to sell some.

I'd have to see if he would be interested in making them to sell

07JeepXK
02-28-2013, 02:10 PM
I just talked to Bob and he said it wouldnt be worth making these to sell. I wasnt aware of this, but he said about 5 hours of machining went in to making the set of links. I guess they used special sleeving that was really expensive and by the time all is said and done he would have to sell them for an arm and leg to make any kind of profit. Espically because you have to start out with a new oem link. However, if anyone is interested, fixed length extended oem links would be a lot easier to make and wouldnt cost much to do so. They obviously just wouldnt be adjustable but they could be built specifically for those running spacer lifts or the OME setup.

thance
02-28-2013, 02:35 PM
I'm not surprised. He likely needs a custom jig or double ended adjustable vise to hold everything together straight (I assume its straight). Setup time, time making a nice weld, grinding any lumps or other unpleasantries....... I tend to weld holes, so most of my time is spent filling them back in........ or making them bigger. Need anything welded?

07JeepXK
02-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Yeah they are perfectly straight. Turned out really nice. The welds are amazing. Sorry I couldn't hook you guys up. I'm hoping he can get me a set for the front.

Also found out the sleeve they used was solid. Both ends had to be drilled out and the one end was then threaded. I thought the sleeve was already hollow. We did get the fronts installed tonight.

07JeepXK
03-01-2013, 08:56 AM
Matt, I have a question for you. So we got bobs sway bar end links on. The rear were adjusted approx 2 inches longer which brought the link and sway bar to a 90 degree angle. Up front the links were adjusted to bring the front sway bar back to the factory position. Bob says that he didn't really feel a difference in body roll since the new end links were installed. My question is, when the jeep was lifted using the oem links, does this add more preload to the sway bars causing less body roll? We thought by extending them to the proper lenth the body roll would would lessen.

Matt
03-01-2013, 11:31 AM
My question is, when the jeep was lifted using the oem links, does this add more preload to the sway bars causing less body roll?

It doesn't add more preload, but the links at an angle decrease the mechanical advantage.

Stiffer vs not is hard to explain here since it has to do with the rate of change of the angle as the body rolls.

Stock 90 degree angle: The mechanical advantage to "twist" the torsion bar (sway bar) is maximized here which in theory gives an easier "roll". But what happens is as the body starts rolling, the angle decreases on one side and increases on the other, thereby reducing the mechanical advantage and "stiffening" more as the roll increases. So its a somewhat progressive body roll damper.

Lifted with >90 degree angle: In this case both sides start with a decreased mechanical advantage over the sway bar. So it takes a bit more force to start twisting it. But in this case, the side that's compressing due to body sway will see an increase in mechanical advantage as that side is compressed. This has the opposite effect of the link starting at 90 degrees... in this case the roll resistance will decrease progressively as the roll continues.

With your OME HD springs I don't think you'd feel much of a difference regardless since I couldn't feel a difference when I completely removed my bar after the links were damaged offroad. If I put my sway bar back on though I'll set them up with the links at the standard 90 degree angle.