PDA

View Full Version : Repalcement struts recommendation

FLYCAV
03-02-2013, 01:06 PM
I've been reading threads both here and on "the other forum" for hours and really haven't got a definitive answer.

I have the 2" Rough Country lift and am getting ready to order a set of Monroe Sensa-Trac laod leveling shocks (F150 version model 58643) for the rear end. I need new struts as well (I can't believe I have 128,000 miles on the original shocks and struts). For this set up I'm wondering:

1. What brand/part# strut would you guys recommend?
2. Any vendor you'd recommend?

07JeepXK
03-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Old Man Emu Sturts for sure. Contact Jon at thesteelarmadillo.com

Part number:N188S

FLYCAV
03-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Old Man Emu Sturts for sure. Contact Jon at thesteelarmadillo.com

Part number:N188S

Thanks. Just placed my order. Glad to support a forum member/sponser.

07JeepXK
03-02-2013, 04:07 PM
You will be happy with those struts. Way better than oem or bilstein struts.

Matt
03-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Good call ordering the OME's!

Since you're going to have everything apart, i'd also recommend replacing the spring isolators and upper strut mounts. They're all wear items and probably don't have much (if any) life left with 120k+ miles.

Aaaaaaand just another suggestion... if you're going to take it all apart, why not get the OME HD springs as well, build the entire strut assembly and swap the whole thing in while removing the front RC spacers? (thats what i did :))

LWM
03-02-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks. Just placed my order. Glad to support a forum member/sponser.

Thanks, I will call the warehouse Monday and get them on their way too you.

FLYCAV
03-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Good call ordering the OME's!

Since you're going to have everything apart, i'd also recommend replacing the spring isolators and upper strut mounts. They're all wear items and probably don't have much (if any) life left with 120k+ miles.

Aaaaaaand just another suggestion... if you're going to take it all apart, why not get the OME HD springs as well, build the entire strut assembly and swap the whole thing in while removing the front RC spacers? (thats what i did :))

Good call on the upper strut mounts and isolators. I sould have done that when I put the RC spacers on in the first place.

While it's apart I was planning on replacing all the ball joints. I'm guessing the lower CA bushings could probably use replacing too. I'll most likely have to take the whole front end apart anyway since I can't get the strut saddle mounting bolt out of the bushing. Maybe if I can get it on my workbench, I might have better luck than fighting with it under the XK.

I've also seen people changing out their whole upper control arms. Is that because it's almost as cheap as changing out the bushings? I know I just got done putting on new LCA's on our spare car, a 2002 Civic because they only cost $40 each and included the bushings. New bushings would have been about half that but I would have spent the time getting the old ones out.

I think I need to hold off ont he OME HD springs for now though....I need an excuse to take it apart later;)

paroxysym
03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Can Jon beat kolaks price on 4 bilstein HDs?

LWM
03-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Can Jon beat kolaks price on 4 bilstein HDs?

Give me the part number and I will give you the best price possible.

JumpmasterRT
08-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but I've blown both the Bilstien HD struts and one of the shocks in just over a year. I'm really hard on my XK (50k miles in a year) and I've had issues with the lift install from day one.

The Ford Load leveling shocks add some length and requires the gas tank shield mod correct? How does the OME strut you guys are recommending compare for length to the F-150 Shock?

I'm also going to replace the springs because I'm still running stock and I think they're through.

Basically what I'm asking is what's the toughest shock/strut/spring combo that will stand up to ridiculous wear and tear for heavy loads (90+ lbs) but still maintain a decent highway ride?

I'm very irritated with the shop who installed the lift in the first place and now I have the perfect opportunity to correct a bunch of issues and I want to do it with the right parts time.

Matt
08-01-2013, 07:08 PM
You're not the first person to have issues with the Bilstein 4600s.... so unfortunately that's not much of a surprise.

To help you decide on the best suspension combination; how much lift and what tire size do you run (or want to run)?

Edit: and regardless of what you do, you should trim the gas tank to eliminate interference with the rear upper control arm. Its not hard to do.

JumpmasterRT
08-01-2013, 07:13 PM
I've got the RRO 2" lift and I'm currently running the stock 245/65's because of ridiculous suspension noise. I WANT to put the 265/70 Nitto Terra's back on. My XK is my primary work vehicle and I constantly have a decent amount of weight in the back so load levelers are a must.

Matt
08-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Are you willing to ditch the RRO lift?

And what's your target price for re-vamping your front & rear suspension?

JumpmasterRT
08-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Yep... would like to keep the 2" though (or as close as I can)

pjmjr508
08-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Would Rec an OME HD setup.

Matt
08-01-2013, 07:20 PM
OME HD Front (springs/struts)
JBA 4" springs in rear
rear shocks depend on desired budget and desired off-road capability

Matt
08-01-2013, 07:25 PM
4"....lol not 6"

Just thinking ahead :p

JumpmasterRT
08-01-2013, 07:26 PM
OME HD Front (springs/struts)
JBA 6" springs in rear
rear shocks depend on desired budget and desired off-road capability
So basically the OME setup takes the place of the spacers but maintains the ~2" lift?
Rear shocks need to be beefy due to CONSTANT heavy load bearing and off roading but comfortable enough for long highway drives.

Matt
08-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Yes, in the front the OME HD springs and struts will take place of the ~2" lift.

For the rear the JBA 4" springs will just about level out your vehicle with the loads you carry (OME rear springs will need help).

Shocks depend on budget..... IMO the best overall shock is the adjustable FOX, but they're expensive. The next best is a properly valved 2.0 Emulsion shock (probably 60/80 if you're carrying that much weight, 40/80 to go a bit softer). Next step down would be a 255/70 valved Bilstein... a few options there including resi's.

06JeepXKHEMI
08-02-2013, 05:53 AM
I love the Fox Emulsions, never had any complaints with them and Im now not running a rear sway bar. Paired with the OME HD springs, its perfect! If the JBA 4" springs were available I would have done those..

JumpmasterRT
08-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Now to figure out where to buy the stuff!! The adjustable is a little more expensive and more than what I need so I'll go with the Emulsion... I'm a little confused on how to get the right valving/length though. I don't see anywhere where a part# is specific to a valving combo.

I'm also going to replace the UCA's and ball joints with the JBA's. What else should I do while I've got it all apart? I need to do this all in one shot because I can't have the XK down longer than a day. I put MOOG sway bar bushings on last year but I'm pretty sure they're worn already... is there anything better or do I just replace them again?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Matt
08-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Sway bar bushings- i actually had a problem with my moog replacements wearing out in just a few months, put OEM ones in and have been good since.

FOX socks- You need P/N 980-02-038-A. When you order them (ask Jon if he can get FOX, otherwise order from 4WP or Offroadwarehouse using price-match to the cheapest place you find), you specify the valving you want. It'll take a little longer than the same p/n off the shelf, but it'll be valved more specific to your vehicle. Off-the-shelf valving is 40/60 i believe. You'll also want to order 2 sets of these to replace the bearings and keep noises at a minimum: http://offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/113/sfID3/30/productID/3771

LWM
08-03-2013, 09:36 AM
I can do the 980-02-038-A for $165.00 plus shipping off the shelf

thance
08-05-2013, 11:38 AM
You're not the first person to have issues with the Bilstein 4600s.... so unfortunately that's not much of a surprise.

To help you decide on the best suspension combination; how much lift and what tire size do you run (or want to run)?

Edit: and regardless of what you do, you should trim the gas tank to eliminate interference with the rear upper control arm. Its not hard to do.

I used tin shears.

JumpmasterRT
08-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Well, I just contacted John about the OME HD spring/strut set. I'm getting new isolators but forgot to get the mounting brackets. They look good and I've only got 85k on there now. Hopefully they'll be ok.
I decided to go with the F-150 load leveling shocks for the rear instead of the Emulsions. I had them on my WK and never had any issues. With all the weight I put in my XK I just couldn't see how the Fox's would last (I may regret it but it's cheap enough to take that chance). I don't have the money right now to do the springs too so that'll be next bonus. (I HAVE to do the struts because they're blown... I shouldn't be driving it but I have to for work :()

Just to be sure, the JBA UCA's are better than RRO?

Anything for the front I'm forgetting? I'm gonna have it torn apart anyway so might as well get it all done at once right?

pjmjr508
08-06-2013, 06:24 PM
I have the JBA & extremely pleased with them.

Matt
08-06-2013, 06:30 PM
The JBA rear springs aren't much more than the OME rear springs are they?

Weight won't hurt the shocks, they're not carrying the load. Having the proper damping rate is the important part otherwise you'll overwork the shock. Can't go wrong with the load leveler for <$100 though. I ran them until I upgraded to the Fox's.

Yes, the JBA arms are better than RRO.

JumpmasterRT
08-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Well, pricing made the decision for me. $350 for a pair of RRO's and $900 for pair of JBA's. I don't have that kind of cash so RRO's it is.

JumpmasterRT
08-06-2013, 06:36 PM
The JBA rear springs aren't much more than the OME rear springs are they? I'm not getting either set right now... but when I do I'll go with JBA's

Matt
08-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Roger that on the rear springs.

$900 for JBA???? no way...

Matt
08-06-2013, 06:41 PM
They're $450:
http://4xguard.com/commander-2006-2010/jba-upper-a-arms-for-lifted-wk-xk.html

The RRO arms use smaller bushings from a KJ liberty... not exactly my idea of "heavy duty". And i wouldn't have bought them if I knew that.

JumpmasterRT
08-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Roger that on the rear springs.

$900 for JBA???? no way...Never mind... my dumbass didn't read the fine print. (They're sold as a set) So only $450

JumpmasterRT
08-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Matt, are you still running those KYB strut mounts?

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Matt
08-07-2013, 06:54 AM
I dont remember if they were kyb or raybestos... but yeah im still running what I originally installed

JumpmasterRT
08-07-2013, 08:10 AM
I dont remember if they were kyb or raybestos... but yeah im still running what I originally installed

According to your garage thread they were KYB...

Matt
08-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Lol damn I shoulda known

07JeepXK
08-08-2013, 01:27 PM
I have the older version of the JBA UCA's and love them. I haven't had any issues with them and they have been installed for about a year and a half. Definitely recommend JBA over RRO especially since JBA redesigned them and have a new version out

JumpmasterRT
09-10-2013, 05:33 PM

Got all the parts..... OME springs/struts and Moog Strut mounts. New OEM lower spring isolator as well.

What am I missing?

Matt
09-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Bump stops

JumpmasterRT
09-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Bump stopsRecommendations?

Matt
09-10-2013, 06:21 PM
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55020_8200.htm

JumpmasterRT
09-10-2013, 06:40 PM
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55020_8200.htm

Ordered.... Any other advice?

Matt
09-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Use a really really really good spring compressor :D

JumpmasterRT
09-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Use a really really really good spring compressor :D Yeah.... no doubt. I can't imagine the ones at Harbor Freight would be strong enough. I don't want to lose body parts. ;)

1USMC
09-10-2013, 11:06 PM
...........gas tank shield mod correct?

Just FYI here is one link to some photos of one way to trim the shield.

> http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?2342-Gas-Tank-Shield-trim-project&highlight=tank

lekmedm
09-11-2013, 06:40 AM
I'm guessing that with an adjustable rear track bar you wouldn't need to trim the gas tank skid plate.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

1USMC
09-11-2013, 11:12 AM
I'm guessing that with an adjustable rear track bar you wouldn't need to trim the gas tank skid plate.

You bring up a good point that I didn't know about until I finally had a chance to do some good wheeling and put my Commander to the test. I didn't know there where TWO gas tank mods! I had only read about the notch that would help keep the drivers side rear upper control arm from being limited in articulation by the rear gas tank shield. Mine was one of those that was limited by the shield.

The other mod that you are referring to is the one that made a racket when traversing some terrain that I didn't think could be traversed with my XK (LOl). It also pulled down my shield and could have caused a lot more damage.

I learned the hard way about the side gas tank mod, that helps with the drive shaft hitting the shield. Here is a link to my question and photos after this happened to me, >

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?2365-Strange-Damage-to-Gas-tank-shield-and-others-from-our-First-Jeep-Jamboree&highlight=tank

I have also picked up an adjustable rear track bar and of course have not had time to install it yet or brush off my trigonometry to try and figure out how much longer to make it to give an extra 1/4 to1/2 inch-ish at the closest point between the drive shaft and the shield.

So hopefully this will help others like my myself, that where not aware there are TWO common gas tank mods that owners have come up with..

JumpmasterRT
09-20-2013, 06:22 PM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/09/e2a4anam-1.jpg

Tomorrow is the day. That's a LOT of compression that's gonna happen. I can't find anyone with good compressors so I'll have to take them to a shop to get assembled. (Which had I known I was gonna have to do I'd have already done it).

07JeepXK
09-21-2013, 03:04 AM

I have an adjustable track bar and still had to do the second gas tank skid plate mod because the drive shaft was still hitting the skid when flexed out off road

lekmedm
09-21-2013, 04:50 AM
Is that with a disconnected sway bar, Adam?

1USMC
09-21-2013, 08:50 AM
I have an adjustable track bar and still had to do the second gas tank skid plate mod......

Looking at the witness marks on my actual gas tank, after my drive shaft had pulled my shield down , it looked like it was barely rubbing. But still, I am not feeling that comfortable with it rubbing on the actual gas tank itself. So I want to give it an extra 1/4 to perhaps 1/2 inch clearance.

07JeepXK when you installed your adjustable track bar did you make it longer than the stock one and if so by how much ? Otherwise some day I will have to measure and try that trigonometry stuff. LOl

When mine was rubbing I did have both my front and rear sway bars disconnected.

JumpmasterRT
09-21-2013, 12:40 PM
I had to reuse the Rough Country lift or I would have lost about 3". When I built the towers they were way shorter without them. I don't know how you got away from them but I couldn't figure that out.
The ride is SO much springier now! Is that normal?

JumpmasterRT
09-21-2013, 02:29 PM
How the hell did y'all get the F-150 shocks on the rear?

Matt
09-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Disconnect the sway bar. Do the gas tank skid on the driver side otherwise that one will be a PITA! (and you'll hit now that your shock won't limit the travel as much)

Matt
09-21-2013, 03:16 PM
I had to reuse the Rough Country lift or I would have lost about 3". When I built the towers they were way shorter without them. I don't know how you got away from them but I couldn't figure that out.
The ride is SO much springier now! Is that normal?

Hold up... so you have the RC on top of the OME HD? The OME strut is the same length as the stock strut. Lift is achieved because the spring compresses less under the same load.

I want to see some pics of your front end...

JumpmasterRT
09-21-2013, 04:20 PM
I dunno man... it's level now and it wasn't before i put them back on. It was a noticeable loss without them. I'm thinkin if the Struts were longer it would even out the lift with slightly less bounce.
I have NO tire rub now either.

JumpmasterRT
09-21-2013, 04:24 PM
2123Angles look the same...

Matt
09-21-2013, 04:27 PM
What do you have in the rear?

Your front looks really high..... I'm running OME HD + 1/4" spacer up front and it looks like you have at least an inch more than I do.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/06/20130619174033_zps966196b7-1.jpg

Would love to see some pics of your front end angles. How close is your knuckle to the strut? I'm telling you man you're double stacked.

Edit: No way were your angles that bad with just the RC lift. This is what my angles look like with my OME+ which is steeper than when i had the RC lift:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2011/10/20111014185219-1.jpg

Matt
09-21-2013, 04:35 PM
This is how they looked with the RC lift:

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/09/20110710102636-1.jpg

.... Your angles are so bad the CV boots are going to cut through themselves.

JumpmasterRT
09-21-2013, 04:41 PM
.... Your angles are so bad the CV boots are going to cut through themselves.
They did that the first week I had it. :(

JumpmasterRT
09-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Stock springs with RC spacer and F-150 coil overs in rear.

The weird thing is (except for the bounce)... it drives better than it did when the RC lift was new.

I almost want to just put it back stock and start over.

Matt
09-21-2013, 04:52 PM
with the RC spacer, stock springs and F-150 load leveling shocks the rear should sit about 1/2 to 3/4" higher than just the front with OME. Take the RC spacer off and put a 1/4" strut spacer in instead. You're going to tear up your front end like that.

Did you get it aligned already?

JumpmasterRT
09-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Take the RC spacer off and put a 1/4" strut spacer in instead. Where do you get that and do they come in 1/2 inch?

Did you get it aligned already?No finished too late.

Matt
09-21-2013, 05:02 PM
JBA and RRO have 1/4" spacers. They result in ~1/2" of lift. You can't do 1/2" without changing the strut mount studs since there's not enough threads there.

You can probably squeak out another 1/4" or so depending on where you clamped the strut forks. See here:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?1311-OME-HD-Install&p=18958&viewfull=1#post18958

JumpmasterRT
09-21-2013, 05:11 PM
You can probably squeak out another 1/4" or so depending on where you clamped the strut forks. See here:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?1311-OME-HD-Install&p=18958&viewfull=1#post18958
LOL, I did that without seeing that thread.

I seriously don't want to tear these down again but looks like I don't have a choice.

Matt
09-21-2013, 05:13 PM
lol great minds think alike!

07JeepXK
09-22-2013, 04:51 AM
Yeah you definitely need to take that RC lift spacer off the front. I'm running 33's and only have the OME HD coils up front with no additional spacers or lift. But I have done a few extra mods to make them fit. Your cv angles are horrible!

JumpmasterRT
09-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Oh yeah!!!!! 24 miles of surface streets. Holy ****!

Matt
09-22-2013, 02:31 PM
I was expecting to see a busted balljoint. Did something happen?

JumpmasterRT
09-22-2013, 03:03 PM
I was expecting to see a busted balljoint. Did something happen?

Other than the rubbing damage no but I was afraid to leave it like that and chance anything worse. :eek: I'm glad you replied as quickly as you did. I can deal with the plastic rub that will happen untill I get the RRO 1/4 spacers and JBA UCAs this week.

All Hail Matt!!!!

Matt
09-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Ah i see it now! Thought it was just glare before.

All Hail Matt!!!!

I take payment in the form of beer... non-fruity beer.

lekmedm
09-22-2013, 04:19 PM
...non-fruity beer.

Corona with lime...?

Matt
09-22-2013, 04:20 PM
Corona with lime...?

That's acceptable. lol i'm talking about those lemon-berry, cherry wheat, etc beers that are basically wine coolers in beer cans :p

JumpmasterRT
09-22-2013, 05:10 PM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/09/tu8ebe2u-1.jpghttps://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/09/atutynyq-1.jpg
OMG the difference is amazing! No more bounce. I can't believe I ever went with the RC lift (I also can't believe I double stacked that ****). I can't wait to get the other parts!

I wish I had taken measurements before and after.

The only casualty is a torn UCA ball joint boot from taking out the double stack. ;)

Matt
09-22-2013, 05:27 PM
So much better!

pjmjr508
09-23-2013, 09:12 PM
looking great

thance
09-25-2013, 02:55 PM
rocky road has a 3/8 spacer that worked for me with OME HD springs and struts up front. I'll admit there is little down travel, but I did not have an issue with installation. May be because of my replacement upper strut mounts.

http://www.rocky-road.com/wktrimpacker.html

thance
09-25-2013, 02:56 PM
rocky road has a 3/8 spacer that worked for me with OME HD springs and struts up front. I'll admit there is little down travel, but I did not have an issue with installation. May be because of my replacement upper strut mounts.

JumpmasterRT
10-01-2013, 05:23 PM
So much better!
Yes, yes it is. I owe you many beers.

Yeah, I chose those over the JBAs. Now to get them installed.