PDA

View Full Version : Power Stop Brake Kits?

p@55w0rd
03-19-2013, 04:45 AM
Need to swap out all rotors and pads - getting close to 70K miles and we have several long trips planned for the summer. Anyone tried these? Price seem good...

http://www.powerstop.com/products
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A5870A0A0.aspx

What are you guys using?

Matt
03-19-2013, 05:02 AM
Centric rotors and Akebono pads for me. Have considered trying EBC pads but its hard to deviate from a setup that has always worked flawlessly.

oleblue27
03-19-2013, 07:08 PM
I just recently Installed EBC dimpled and slotted rotors on all 4 corners along with Hawk Ceramic pads and so far I love it! Braking seems to be improved and smoother even though they aren't worn in yet. They make make an awesome turbo kinda sound when I brake too lol.

p@55w0rd
03-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks guys!

07JeepXK
03-20-2013, 06:09 PM
My next set will be EBC. It's hard to stop these big meats on my old girl

pjmjr508
03-20-2013, 06:52 PM
I have the EBC Dimpled & Slotted all 4 corners with the EBC SUV Green Stuff I love it. Next to no brake dust & it stops so much better now.

oleblue27
03-20-2013, 08:19 PM
I have the EBC Dimpled & Slotted all 4 corners with the EBC SUV Green Stuff I love it. Next to no brake dust & it stops so much better now.

Did you have brake dust while the pads and rotors were getting worn in?

p@55w0rd
03-21-2013, 07:17 AM
So did some research on ECB -
Seem a fair amount of people complain about squealing?
Slotted and dimpled? Thought they were a no-no for off roading? Seems that they would allow for debris to gather and cause premature wear and gouging on the pad?
Do you use 7000's in the front and 6000's in the rear? looks like there are not any 7000 series available for the rear?

What about the Power Slot brakes and rotors? (not power stop but power Slot?)

07JeepXK
03-21-2013, 08:46 AM
I've been told slotted and drilled rotors are bad for off roading by some people and others that run them that wheel say the rotors clean the pads better.

Matt
03-21-2013, 08:53 AM
I personally would never use crossed drilled rotors for offroad/mud.

A good set of quality rotors and pads is all you need, mostly everything else is marketing or snake-oil for this application IMO..

I see some logic with slotted rotors to give debris an escape, but I can never bring myself to spend the extra money..... ive lifted and offroaded a lot of vehicles and have never needed anything other than quality rotors.

Now when I went up to 36-37s on my Silverado I was eyeing up a +1 brake kit to increase the diameter of my rotors to gain back some of the lost mechanical advantage.

criket
03-21-2013, 08:57 AM
I have the drilled rotors in the front on my wk. I've been offroad with them several times but have not had an issue with debris getting in the holes on the rotors. But i stay outta the mud at all costs.

The only issue I've had is a rock getting caught between the rotor and the backing plate and it squels to high heavens. But it did that with my stock rotors too.

06JeepXKHEMI
03-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Coming from the street scene, 240sx's and M3's, most of the time slotted is the choice and they stay away from both cause as Matt said most of the time its just marketing and appearance people go for them.. Most applications slotted give the best performance. I never considered what would happen when wheeling but I always clean the s**t out of the suspension and around the wheels anyway, Im actually looking into the Stillen front/rear set-up as they've gotten great reviews and have option for zinc coating to stop rusting..

pjmjr508
03-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Did you have brake dust while the pads and rotors were getting worn in?

after close to a year on them I have next to none brake dust.

I feel they are a lot better over stock, I love them. I offroad mine a lot & very happy on how they work. I went with dimpled verse drilled because I have seen cracks develop around the drilled holes, where with the dimpled not as much material is taken away.

Also you will only get the squealing for the first 100 miles while they break in completely & then the squealing stopped (for me at least)

oleblue27
03-21-2013, 08:33 PM
after close to a year on them I have next to none brake dust.

I feel they are a lot better over stock, I love them. I offroad mine a lot & very happy on how they work. I went with dimpled verse drilled because I have seen cracks develop around the drilled holes, where with the dimpled not as much material is taken away.

Also you will only get the squealing for the first 100 miles while they break in completely & then the squealing stopped (for me at least)

I heard a lot about drilled rotors cracking, thats why i went with the dimpled and slotted. Then again, I dont offroad my jeep, so I dont have a problem with that. Yeah, I had squeaking in my brakes for about the first 50 miles, but now they are smooth and noiseless. I agree with the improved stopping power over stock though!!

Matt
03-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Figured id take advantage of my Friday off this week and do my brakes. Ordered centric rotors and akebono pads for a total of $324 shipped (thats both front & rear). I priced up the EBC slotted w/EBC pads.. it was over twice as much.. id rather put that money into other mods.

p@55w0rd
03-25-2013, 04:14 PM
Figured id take advantage of my Friday off this week and do my brakes. Ordered centric rotors and akebono pads for a total of $324 shipped (thats both front & rear). I priced up the EBC slotted w/EBC pads.. it was over twice as much.. id rather put that money into other mods.

Link please! That is an awesome price!

Matt
03-25-2013, 04:20 PM
rockauto.com w/ 5% discount code