PDA

View Full Version : hey Colorado members, time to fess up!

JustinS
03-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Alright, who rolled their XK in the Rockies? Local jeep guy moved to CO and this XK was behind him till it rolled down the mountain.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/03/20121208_144133_81_zpse67d4487-1.jpg

stites-xk
03-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Not me!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Matt
03-26-2013, 05:34 PM
OUCH!!!

Hmmm... wonder what drivetrain it had in it.... :confused: QDII diffs available? ;)

stites-xk
03-26-2013, 05:48 PM
OUCH!!!

Hmmm... wonder what drivetrain it had in it.... :confused: QDII diffs available? ;)

That would be awesome!

criket
03-26-2013, 06:45 PM
You guys are a bunch of vultures!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p Not even a single question about what happened, how, was everyone ok.

Matt
03-26-2013, 06:49 PM
what happened - XK rolled
how - driver thought he was invincible in snow
was everyone ok - sure looks like it based on the nonchalant pics

.... now, for the important stuff: was it QDII or not?? :p

JustinS
03-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Haha Matt, I don't know though...the pic is all I've got!

Matt
03-26-2013, 06:55 PM
lol

damn if Adam was there you'd see his feet sticking out from under the bumper cause he'd be taking parts off of it before anyone knew what was going on

JustinS
03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Vultures, all of ya!

07JeepXK
03-26-2013, 07:07 PM
lol

damn if Adam was there you'd see his feet sticking out from under the bumper cause he'd be taking parts off of it before anyone knew what was going on

Haha the only part I could think of that I'd be ripping out is his tcase! Already have QD II front diff

DetroitMarauder
03-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Sorry Matt but unless the "Trail Rated" badge came off in the wreck I think it's a QT1. :(

criket
03-27-2013, 03:39 AM
LOL, someone tell them to get on this site. They could part it out and get a few bucks. I'd like the rear axles, t case (as a back up), trans (back up), and def the little lights behind the climate controls. Mine have never worked.

06JeepXKHEMI
03-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Damn! That sucks, thats the second XK thats been totalled lately, but very impressive each time I see one in an accident the people are ok..

The_War_Wagon
03-27-2013, 06:47 AM
And THIS... is why I'm fixing up a RAMCHARGER! At least it's PAID FOR (unlike my Jeep!)... almost... :p

07JeepXK
03-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Glad my jeep is paid for. Lol

Core XK
03-29-2013, 06:59 AM
lol

Lmfao!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Adondo
03-29-2013, 09:27 AM
The way sinkholes are opening up all over the world, the next thing is one will swallow a Commander.

Jeep quit making them, so everyone needs to be more careful. They're like Picasso paintings: once they're gone, there's no more.

And you guys wanting to snatch the QDII axle out from under it while it's still sitting in the snow. LOL!!

JustinS
04-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Found the story to go with the picture:

Here's the story of the Commander. This was the owner's second trip out. They smartly opted out of the Red Elephant Hill Trail and met us at Bill Moore Lake, along with two other rigs. At one point early on when he was not getting traction, I asked whether he was in 1st gear, and he indicated he had no gear or transfercase selection since it was AWD. He struggled up most of the trail, and was, in fact, pulled a large portion of the way by the little 4-cylinder Toyota pickup with a rear locker, pictured earlier. Go Yota! The transmission was overheating. We talked the gentleman into parking the Commander; he rode with the Toyota owner, and the passenger rode with me. We completed the loop and returned to the Commander. The 14 rigs continued our decent and then heard through the CB that the Commander rolled. I was about 6 rigs ahead, and there were a number of rigs behind, but only 1 saw it happen.

Fortunately, the driver and passenger were OK; albeit shaken up. After we checked things over, they opted to continue down to the bottom, where insurance could assess the vehicle. My understanding of what happened is that they could not get geared low enough, started to break free, and the owner, by his own words pulled the e-brake to stop, which whipped him sideways into the roll. The really unfortunate thing is that this is the owner and his wife's ONLY vehicle.

I've noticed in the trips that I've taken here in Colorado that a large number of people here think that because they have 4WD (in this case AWD), they are automatically qualified to a) take their rig offroad, and b) take it up and down the flippin' Rockies. There is very little caution, planning, and experience on the part of a lot of the wheelers out here. I don't know if he really had no input on the gearing and/or offroad modes of the vehicle, or simply didn't understand it. He probably shouldn't have had the Commander on the trail in this situation, and the trail leaders should probably have warned against it.

Sounds like it was QT1, stock, and had some bad driving by a person new to wheeling.

pjmjr508
04-18-2013, 03:38 PM
I agree Justin

stites-xk
04-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Me too!

07JeepXK
04-18-2013, 05:19 PM
My XK would make that 4 cylinder Toyota look like a joke off road!!!

pjmjr508
04-18-2013, 06:10 PM
My XK would make that 4 cylinder Toyota look like a joke off road!!!

Yours on here is not the only (Just Saying)

Matt
04-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Sounds like it was QT1, stock, and had some bad driving by a person new to wheeling.

Stock and inexperienced wheeler is dangerous...Combine that with basic tires and bad trail conditions (snow) and it's a disaster waiting to happen... well actually it happened. :(

Can't argue the point that there's A LOT of people out there that think 4x4 or AWD make them invincible. Hence there's a lot of people in ditches every snow storm..... lol and i should've taken pictures of every stuck Crossover, SUV and even fullsize's at OBX last year!

thance
04-18-2013, 08:08 PM
New front clip and a couple of mirrors and he'll be good to go.

07JeepXK
04-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Yours on here is not the only (Just Saying)

Oh I hear you. The advantages of being locked front and rear on 33's! I love it

pjmjr508
04-19-2013, 01:36 PM

I Bet!!!!!!!

thance
04-19-2013, 01:39 PM

Did you, by chance, post a how-to on the power-trax install? In particular did you have to pull one or both of the axles or was it all handled under the diff cover?

07JeepXK
04-19-2013, 02:05 PM
I didnt post a how to. The diff cover comes off and passenger side axle shaft needs to come out.