PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a Drooping Rear

1USMC
04-03-2013, 09:03 PM

Fixing a drooping rear.

How do you start?

You first have to identify the situation then decided to take responsibility and action to correct the situation. So time to start watching what you eat, more exercise both aerobic and resistive training. Isometrics could also help firm up the drooping rea…….. Oh sorry, I forgot what forum I was on for a minute.

Commander.. Ok… My situation.

I have a 4” Super lift and added a SA rear steel bumper, spare tire, jack and Jerry can. I also carry a lot of gear (weight) in the back.

I ended up with a “reverse rake” so to speak. So I’ll pass on my starting figures and correction attempted and the results for your analysis and comparison.

My wheels are 32” tall.
Measurements with full tank of gas.

My starting > ground to bottom of fender well #'s approx +/-.

LF.......... RF
38 ½ ... 38 3/4

LR ....... RR
36 ¾.... 37

Difference btw front and rear.

LR .... ... RR
-1 ¾... -1 ¾

As I was ordering ½ spacers from Matt, I told him what I had going on and he recommended JBA’s WK’s-6” (RCS6-WK) springs and front ¼" spacer.

So 2”s in the rear for a WK with all my weight. If I got 1 ½ lift from it I would feel lucky. That would still leave me ¼ short before the almost extra ½ I would be gaining in the front.

So I would also add Matt’s ½” spacer and see what happens.

Finger crossing time again.

The JBA springs where 2” taller but slightly smaller ID. If they come off the upper spring perch slightly, the SL’s bumpstop outer ring will hit the inside of the springs. Trust me.... I know....

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/03/DSCN0836_zpsaf7270c5-1.jpg

The question had also crossed my mind if I might need a limiting strap when I disco’d my rear sway bar to keep the springs in from coming out. Not a factor !! I had to work very very hard to get the springs in with the long SL bumpstop.

New spec’s + or –

LF....... RF
39.... 39 1/8

LR....... RR
39.... 39 1/8

So If I would have normally had 38 ½”s on all fours with the 4” SL ( I did not measure it before I installed the SA bumpers etc.), and now I have 39”s. Do I now have an effective 4 ½ ” lift ???? ;)

Matt
04-04-2013, 05:36 AM
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet... but where are you measuring from again? 19" from ground to fender doesnt make sense.. its also too short from hub to fender..

Maybe you meant 39"??

stites-xk
04-04-2013, 05:41 AM
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet... but where are you measuring from again? 19" from ground to fender doesnt make sense.. its also too short from hub to fender..

Maybe you meant 39"??

I think you're right matt because on my modified SL I'm like 24" from center of hub to fender on all 4 corners!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

1USMC
04-04-2013, 05:52 AM
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet... but where are you measuring from again? 19" from ground to fender doesn't make sense.. its also too short from hub to fender..

Maybe you meant 39"??

I just had my coffee ! You guys are such sticklers for details !!! I said approx and + or - .....

Changed the 1's to 3's

Thanks..

thance
04-04-2013, 09:16 AM
So with all of that, you are running 1" - 1.5" taller than my modified OME HD.... and that's with what I assume are larger tires. I'm running 265/70-17.

Are you running stock springs in the front with the SL?

Matt
04-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Pretty much... except that he has a lot more down travel than us OME guys which makes a big difference offroad.

thance
04-04-2013, 10:00 AM
What down travel?

Matt
04-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Suspension down travel. His hub-fender measurements when his suspension is maxed out is going to be a solid 4" further than ours up front.

Except for parking lots, theres a lot more benefits to a real suspension lift beyond static ride height.

Edit.. lol or are you just making fun of your almost non-existent down travel as measured in your other thread...

thance
04-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Suspension down travel. His hub-fender measurements when his suspension is maxed out is going to be a solid 4" further than ours up front.

Except for parking lots, theres a lot more benefits to a real suspension lift beyond static ride height.

Edit.. lol or are you just making fun of your almost non-existent down travel as measured in your other thread...

I have no "down travel".

thance
04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Besides for longer travel struts (which I'm not sure exist for our application) is there anything we can do to increase down travel?

Are the struts ( and the fact that the HD springs keep them nearly fully expanded sitting in the parking lot) the sole limiting factor? Or, might JBA or other upper control arms help?

I've thought about measuring the height of the exposed threads on top of the center strut nut and putting a spacer that size under the upper mount. (so that the exposed threads would be below the nut rather than above). This would likely add 1.5" of down travel. I should have measured down travel before cranking that nut down, but always in a rush....... I do know cranking the nut down did not change the ride height.

06JeepXKHEMI
04-04-2013, 11:14 AM
There a few factors in our limited down travel, CVs being one of them and actually the whole IFS set up in general.. New struts really wont make much difference, adding the SL is the only way to increase DT other than upgrading to RCVs which will help but youll still have the other components to consider like steering rack, etc...