PDA

View Full Version : Old Man Emu front struts with HD springs saga

TrialByFire
04-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Well I've spent a good portion of the weekend replacing my old Bilstein struts and OE springs with my new OME struts and heavy duty OME springs trying to get them installed on my Superlift. Needless to say, they don't fit. Matt set me straight that I'm not the first one to have this problem and others have had to cut a coil off the springs to make it work. I didn't want to (1) sell my HD struts and buy MD struts because it sounds like you still need to cut off a half coil, and (2) put my OEM springs back on.

The OME struts are the same specs as the OE struts. I did finally get the strut with the 4" SL spacer in place and mounted, but I couldn't come close to getting the knuckle up to the UCA to attach it w/o spring compressors. (I don't want to have to carry springs compressors on my off-road adventures just to change out a CV!). I don't really understand why the Bilsteins fit and the OMEs didn't since the springs only change the compression force and not the geometry and I was always able to get the knucle attached w/o compressors when changing out a CV.

Since I had some Rocky Road (1-5/8") front spacers left over from my first lift, I decider to mount those up and see how it looked. That seems to work (I've only done the drivers side so far so I can compare).

In all the messing around, I did discover some important details:

1. With the OME and 4" spacer, the CV was binding at full droop with the knuckle disconnected. This tells me that once the knuckle is attached to the UCA, it will be the limiting factor in a full droop and the strut doesn't come close to full extension. It also means that we should be very careful when disconnecting the front sway bar!
2. With the RR spacer (I had to go out and buy some 1/2" x 3" bolts), everything went together easily, but my droop is now limited (44" to top of wheel well previously, vs 41" with the RR spacer).
3. The ride seems no different! The HD springs are just as mushy as the OE.
4. Sag is not a problem with the short spacer and HD springs. Both sides seem to compress about the same amount.
5. Both sides sit at 38" normally.

What this tells me is that I need 3" spacers. If you all agree, I'll have my buddy fab some up this week and give it a try.

Photos here:
http://s1182.photobucket.com/user/BifBlade/slideshow/OME%20Struts

jjt250
04-21-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm sorry, I'm a little bit confused as to what you're finally set up is as of now. Did you take the OME coils out and instead put the RR spacer back in (w/ OME strut and OE coil)?

Also, are you just doing this for extra lift or are your coils and Bilsteins shot?

stites-xk
04-22-2013, 03:48 AM
I know what I had to do with the OME struts and springs is cut one complete coil off the spring and remove the preload plate that comes with the SL! I don't know if this helps but try removing the preload plate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Matt
04-22-2013, 05:04 AM
I didn't even think of the preload spacer.... definitely remove that if its still in there.

But now you have me thinking; I like the 3" spacer idea.

A quick note though. JBA recently updated their UCA design to allow more clearance. You may want to consider swapping them out to get more travel back before the spindle hits.

stites-xk
04-22-2013, 05:59 AM
I didn't even think of the preload spacer.... definitely remove that if its still in there.

But now you have me thinking; I like the 3" spacer idea.

A quick note though. JBA recently updated their UCA design to allow more clearance. You may want to consider swapping them out to get more travel back before the spindle hits.

That's my plane in a couple of months down the road. I do like the idea of a 3" spacer but since I already cut my coils I'll pass on that. On another note you might want to rig up some limit straps up front as well that way you can disconnect the front without to many issues!

TrialByFire
04-22-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm upgrading because my Bilsteins are shot and the OE springs sagging causing a lot of tire rubbing.

I can also try removing the pre-load spacer but I suspect it won't buy me enough.

That's my plane in a couple of months down the road. I do like the idea of a 3" spacer but since I already cut my coils I'll pass on that. On another note you might want to rig up some limit straps up front as well that way you can disconnect the front without to many issues!

If I need to add limit straps, I might as well go with a shorter spacer and let the knuckle limit the down travel, no?

jjt250
04-22-2013, 08:58 AM
Oh I understand. Are your springs sagging because they are shot or because of all your extra weight? If they're in good condition and you're willing to sell, I might be interested.

stites-xk
04-22-2013, 09:02 AM
If I need to add limit straps, I might as well go with a shorter spacer and let the knuckle limit the down travel, no?

If you keep the OME springs the way they are and go with a 2" spacer then that would still be 4" of lift? So I would have to say yes!

Matt
04-22-2013, 09:38 AM
So just to help wrap my head around this.. you previously had 44" fully extended and now have 41" fully extended due to the shorter spacer correct? At 44" was the CV binding, so you're content limiting travel to 44"?

TrialByFire
04-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Oh I understand. Are your springs sagging because they are shot or because of all your extra weight? If they're in good condition and you're willing to sell, I might be interested.

[Sorry for the delay in posting. I tried for two hours last night to post but the forum kept timing out. What's up with that? Is everyone else having troubles with this site?]

I decided to replace them because with the bumper, winch, and Hemi, the front was sagging enough for some significant tire rubbing. The springs are still good and I would be willing to sell them. The Bilsteins are questionable but 'feel' ok.

Matt,
When I had the strut with 4" spacer in place--bolted top and bottom, but with the UCA disconnected from the knuckle--I was unable to rotate the knuckle into place because of binding in the CV. I think I would be more confident in the CV if I limit the droop to 43" when fully extended--hence the 3" spacer. That is measured from the ground to inside fender with the tire barely touching.

jjt250
04-23-2013, 01:50 PM
[Sorry for the delay in posting. I tried for two hours last night to post but the forum kept timing out. What's up with that? Is everyone else having troubles with this site?]

I decided to replace them because with the bumper, winch, and Hemi, the front was sagging enough for some significant tire rubbing. The springs are still good and I would be willing to sell them. The Bilsteins are questionable but 'feel' ok.

Matt,
When I had the strut with 4" spacer in place--bolted top and bottom, but with the UCA disconnected from the knuckle--I was unable to rotate the knuckle into place because of binding in the CV. I think I would be more confident in the CV if I limit the droop to 43" when fully extended--hence the 3" spacer. That is measured from the ground to inside fender with the tire barely touching.

Strange... I did not experience any problems with the site :confused:

How many miles are on the springs? Can you PM me a price?

Matt
04-23-2013, 02:25 PM
I haven't noticed any issues with the site either.

TrialByFire
04-23-2013, 05:27 PM
I haven't noticed any issues with the site either.

Wow! That's strange. It's been good today (i.e. no refreshes needed) but on both my work PC and my home PC it's been really bad while other sites are fine.

My buddy is making 3" spacers tomorrow, so I should know soon how it works. The front has now settled a bit and is sitting at 37".

07JeepXK
04-24-2013, 03:32 AM
37 inches seems a bit low. If I remember correctly that's right about where I sit with the OME HD lift on 33's.

thance
04-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Heck, I'm at 37.5" with 265/70-17 OME HD and 3/8" spacer. Is he sure he has the HD springs? Initial comment about them being just as soft as stock is a little odd too.

Matt
04-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Ooooh I bet we're losing something in translation here due to geometry.

Remember the superlift drops the LCA and uses a longer spindle. So a 4" spacer is needed to achieve 4" lift assuming the control arm is dropped 4" because the angles arent changing.

When you're not installing the superlift, the lift achieved from spacers/springs is not 1:1 because its the ratio of lengths based on control arm angle.

Matt
04-24-2013, 08:25 AM
Think of it this way... pretend you've achieved 4" lift from stacking kits so your control arm angle is horrible. Then you install the drop down brackets for the LCA, It will pivot about the clevis connection which raises the hub up thereby decreasing the effective lift.

Just adds a bit of complicity in modifying the superlift. The 3" spacer he's having made should help

TrialByFire
04-25-2013, 06:54 PM
I got the drivers side done last night (more problems with the web site so I couldn't post) and it looks, rides, and feels good! A little stiffer but now I can take those whoops a little faster!

Unfortunately, I pulled the right side apart and went to assemble the OME strut and...discovered it is bad. ;-(

I fly out on a business trip Monday afternoon and then am supposed to leave for Moab the night I get home (Thursday). I could put the old Bilstein in temporarily but I'm not sure I want to drive 700 miles with two different struts. We'll see what Jon can do for me. Maybe he'll work a miracle!

TrialByFire
04-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Some dark photos from last night:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=32ADFE1677C15CBC!114

Matt
04-25-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm intrigued by your website issues. Have you asked Jon about it? Wonder if its something about your account?

Hope everything works out with the struts. You blew out the OME?

stites-xk
04-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Looks good! Any planes for the rear?

TrialByFire
04-25-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm intrigued by your website issues. Have you asked Jon about it? Wonder if its something about your account?

Hope everything works out with the struts. You blew out the OME?

The site issues come and go. Tonight it's pretty good again. This morning I still couldn't post from the office either.

I didn't blow the OME. It was bad out of the box--no pressure. Since I have been working only on the drivers side until tonight I didn't release the shaft.

TrialByFire
04-25-2013, 07:07 PM

Maybe some HD springs but I'm going to wait until the front settles in to see how it levels out. Last night when I was done with the left side, it measured out at 40".

lekmedm
04-26-2013, 07:31 AM

You start bolting on planes to your Jeep, and it will truly go anywhere! LOL.... j/k

stites-xk
04-26-2013, 08:39 AM
You start bolting on planes to your Jeep, and it will truly go anywhere! LOL.... j/k
Lol! Just noticed that!