PDA

View Full Version : Winch Removal

Core XK
05-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Hello guys! How is everyone doing?!!!

So I am not sure if anyone is aware already but my current spare tire winch is rusted and will no longer drop down/work. So Adam was really helpful in removing his and sending to me so I can swap them out. Adam literally unbolted the (3) bolts that hold it up and it dropped right out. However, I removed the exact same 3 bolts and mine will not budge off. I talked to Adam on the phone about this and we didn't really understand why mine was not dropping down. The winhces are identical so they definitely didn't change the design in the seperation of our XKs being built.

Now Adams third row seating is removed and this is the only reason we can think that his dropped down so easily and mine is still up there. I even tried to yank it down with a crowbar.

Do you guys think there is another attachment/bolt holding this winch up under the third row? anyone else remove this winch WITH the third row seating still in the XK?

Sorry for the long post but I'd rather not take it to the dealer for this even though it has to go there for this new recall soon!

Matt
05-12-2013, 02:36 PM
You know where to find me if you need a hand getting that winch off. ;)

It probably just needs to be twisted or slid the proper direction. Looking at adams winch for any tabs or slots should help

07JeepXK
05-12-2013, 04:49 PM
I was going to text you today to see if you got the old one off yet. Have you thought about pulling the third row? Only takes about 20 min. Like I said over the phone, it's been so long since I removed my third row that I can't remember if there was something inside the XK that needs to be removed to get it out that I might have pulled years ago

Core XK
05-12-2013, 04:57 PM
I was going to text you today to see if you got the old one off yet. Have you thought about pulling the third row? Only takes about 20 min. Like I said over the phone, it's been so long since I removed my third row that I can't remember if there was something inside the XK that needs to be removed to get it out that I might have pulled years ago

Well there is this one huge bolt on your winch towards the third row side. So I went and took a look at my XK and I can see the bolt but its impossible to take off unless the third row is gone.........so I am thinking yes, the third row needs to come out for the winch to come out lol....

Matt I did try to yank that damn thing any way I could lmao

Core XK
05-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Hate to bring this dead thread back but I still have not taken care of this but does anyone know if the 3rd row has to be removed to take off the spare tire winch? Even any WK owners? lol

I am leaning towards a yes based off what I can see but I could definitely be wrong. I just don't want to take the 3rd row out if its not really needed lol

Matt
05-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Here's what the FSM says:

1. Remove the spare tire.
2. Raise and support the vehicle.
3. Remove the three bolts securing the spare tire winch to the body and then remove the winch.

I'll be home tomorrow if you wanted to swing by.

Core XK
05-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Here's what the FSM says:

I'll be home tomorrow if you wanted to swing by.

I would but I have work all day then a house-warming. Damn then the 3rd definitely doesn't have to come out. I even went on other forums and people are saying the same thing. 3 bolts and its done.

Crazy part is I removed the 3 bolts 2 weeks ago and the thing still is up there even with driving it around a bit LOL

Matt
05-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Does the winch line work at all? It just doesn't go all the way up right??

If so... unwind it, hook up the spare tire, put two 2x4s above the tire straddling the frame rails, and winch the tire up; that should pull the winch down with more force than your fruity beer drinking arms can pull down with.

Core XK
05-30-2013, 06:47 PM
Does the winch line work at all? It just doesn't go all the way up right??

If so... unwind it, hook up the spare tire, put two 2x4s above the tire straddling the frame rails, and winch the tire up; that should pull the winch down with more force than your fruity beer drinking arms can pull down with.

LOL!!!!! I actually have been drinking only wheat beers but f u :)

I will mess with it some more and report back....

Matt
05-30-2013, 06:52 PM
:p

Core XK
06-20-2013, 04:15 PM
Have not bothered with this since last post. I have been so busy with other stuff. However, I definitely can't put it on the roof because it needs to fit in a parking garage when my fiancé takes it to work lol and it barely will fit now. With that said, I may take it to my buddys shop around the corner to have him put it on the lift and see what is holding this stubborn winch on the XK.

The (3) bolts that are "supposed" to hold this winch on have been removed for weeks now and I have been driving all over without them on LOL so my gut is telling me this winch is not jammed in there but there is another bolt......the remaining bolts are the ones actually holding the winch together and from what I understand should/cannot be removed.

What I am really saying is MATT go out in your garage and see if your winch comes off with removing the 3 bolts LOL since your third row is still in! :)

lekmedm
06-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Take a torch to it! That'll show 'em!!! :D

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

Core XK
06-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Take a torch to it! That'll show 'em!!! :D

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

lol

Matt
06-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Ok I just took mine off. Took 5 minutes. BUT it is more than 3 bolts.... you can either unscrew the other 4 bolts underneath or take out the jack tray in the back and unscrew the two large middle bolts.

Core XK
06-20-2013, 05:42 PM
Ok I just took mine off. Took 5 minutes. BUT it is more than 3 bolts.... you can either unscrew the other 4 bolts underneath or take out the jack tray in the back and unscrew the two large middle bolts.

I was joking but you are awesome! lol

Do you know what size the other 4 bolts are? I'll just take them off since I am replacing the winch anyway

Matt
06-20-2013, 05:45 PM
They're the same size as the other 3... i believe 13mm. You'll also need a 13mm wrench because there's a nut on the other side.

Core XK
06-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Other side? It wont drop down after removing the other 4 bolts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Matt
06-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Yes it will. I should've taken a picture....

The other 4 bolts have nuts on the other side, but they're accessed from under the vehicle. They don't go through the body. You can get a wrench on them very easily from underneath. Get yourself a 13mm wrench, a 13mm socket, and get your ass dirty by sitting under your jeep and you'll be done in under 10 minutes.

Just be careful not to get some rust chips in your eye (they hurt)

Core XK
06-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Sounds easy enough. I appreciate it man.....as always.

Hows the baby!!?

07JeepXK
06-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Hmmm. I only had to take out the three bolts out from the bottomto get the winch out that I sold to Corey. And my winch was fully functional before I pulled it out.

Matt
06-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Baby's doing great. She's sleeping a lot better than our first two!

Hmmm. I only had to take out the three bolts out from the bottomto get the winch out that I sold to Corey. And my winch was fully functional before I pulled it out.

Mid year design change maybe.

Core XK
06-20-2013, 06:55 PM

Yeah Im still not sure why? Maybe because of your third row?

Core XK
06-22-2013, 04:31 PM
So I finally took some time today to remove the winch. I am not sure if mine is different then anyone else's; however, I HAD to remove the jack storage tray to get to those (2) larger bolts. The other (4) bolts underneath didn't release anything.

I got it off and put the one Adam sent me right in and bolted everything back in. However, it is not working; it "clicks" in about 5 rotations whether you rotate left or right it doesn't matter....

.....LOL I don't think I am supposed to have a spare tire under my jeep because things are just not working out rofl

At this point, I am not too sure on my next move.

07JeepXK
06-22-2013, 05:01 PM
What do you mean it clicks???? When I took it off the Jeep I used a wrench from up top inside to make sure it was lowering/raising properly and it worked perfect. Did you install it right?

Matt
06-22-2013, 08:04 PM
At this point, I am not too sure on my next move.

Pretty sure your next move is a trip to Matt's house...

Core XK
06-24-2013, 06:31 AM
What do you mean it clicks???? When I took it off the Jeep I used a wrench from up top inside to make sure it was lowering/raising properly and it worked perfect. Did you install it right?

The winch clicks once it either is fully tightened or fully loose. It clicks almost right away which is not normal. I know its installed right lol theres only 1 way to install it. Im not mad about any of it just curious to why such a small problem is being a pia lol

07JeepXK
06-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Are you sure there isn't something wrong with your jeep?? Lol what was the original issue with your first winch? I just don't see how it's possible that it worked fine when I took it off and now it's not working. Was the box damaged at all when you received it. Glad I didn't charge you anything for it.

Core XK
06-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Are you sure there isn't something wrong with your jeep?? Lol what was the original issue with your first winch? I just don't see how it's possible that it worked fine when I took it off and now it's not working. Was the box damaged at all when you received it. Glad I didn't charge you anything for it.

Well I doubt it is something with my jeep because the entire winch was replace, and there isn't anything that the actual xk would do to effect the operating of the winch? or am I wrong? lol

Maybe I can just wait until I bring it in for the recall and have them take a look.

Matt
06-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Did your fiance ban you from coming over my house?

Core XK
06-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Lmao no way. Its just hard to find time to drive far lol move to bensalem :) nice big houses over here!!

Matt
06-27-2013, 06:20 PM
It takes less time to drive to my house than what you'll spend in the waiting room at the dealer....and I charge infinitely less and have better beer :p

Core XK
06-28-2013, 04:16 PM
It takes less time to drive to my house than what you'll spend in the waiting room at the dealer....and I charge infinitely less and have better beer :p

What you speak is true! Plus its great company lol I wish I could make it to julys RC trip :(

Matt
06-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Ah man you're busy that weekend?

Core XK
06-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Ah man you're busy that weekend?

Yeah unfortunately. I really want to hit up some green trails.

07JeepXK
06-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Green trail?!?! Your jeep can easily handle blue all day long

Core XK
06-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Green trail?!?! Your jeep can easily handle blue all day long

Yeah but I think blues is pushing it. I have to drive it everyday lol

pjmjr508
06-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Yeah but I think blues is pushing it. I have to drive it everyday lol

Mine is a daily driver as well & I go on black diamond trails. So yours can handle it lol

Core XK
06-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Yeah I am sure my xk can handle it but im just a big baby and im scared of rocks lol

pjmjr508
06-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Yeah I am sure my xk can handle it but im just a big baby and im scared of rocks lol

LMAO That was great!!!!!!!!!

Matt
06-30-2013, 04:54 PM
He ain't kidding.....

07JeepXK
06-30-2013, 05:30 PM
The worse thing that can happen on a blue trail is scrape your skids. No big deal... That's what they are there for.

Core XK
06-30-2013, 05:46 PM
I would never try act like I no more about offroading then you but I can see more then just skid scrapes on a blue trail in an XK; especially with no rock rails :(

07JeepXK
06-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Well yeah you can get more than scrapes on your skids on a blue trail if your not careful. As far as rock rails they are definitely a great mod to have. But I think you would be fine on blues without them. I've doen a few black trails and I don't have rock rails and never got any damage in that area on the XK other than popping the plastic rocker molding off

Matt
06-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Corey I'm with ya. I've bashed the hell out of my rock rails on the blues at Rausch. Most of the time I'm lacking an experienced spotter, or it just takes slipping off a rock (been there a few times during rain or snow).

Now if you had a set of rock rails on there.... you'd really have nothing to worry about with the trails we've taken.

07JeepXK
06-30-2013, 06:11 PM
I guess I've just been really lucky at Rausch

Matt
06-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Really all depends on who's guiding ya, and a bit of luck. You have a bit more clearance with your tires too.

Were you there on that trip where Tim was spotting me through that one rough spot on T22, I dropped off a rock and slammed my skids really hard as Tim simultaneously shouts "yeah you're gonna droooooo[BAM]oop". It was a funny exchange..... I have skids so i didn't care, and proceeded to bust his balls a bit.

hoaxci5
06-30-2013, 07:17 PM
depends on the blue too.. topless for tatas is a blue, and I hit my rock rails on my XJ a couple of times. I wasn't using a spotter through any of it either though so we made pretty good time and really wasn't an issue with the group of Jeeps I was with that time..

Core XK
06-30-2013, 07:18 PM
I would definitely feel much better with rock rails. However I still really enjoy the green trails. I feel more relaxed and enjoy a lot of the hills, dirt, water, smaller rocks etc. Lol I know in the offroad "industry" thats not usually the case--most people want tougher trails.

Matt
06-30-2013, 07:19 PM
You move through the trails a lot quicker too when everyones guarded up and not worried about crushing a few rocks.

Core XK
06-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Really all depends on who's guiding ya, and a bit of luck. You have a bit more clearance with your tires too.

Were you there on that trip where Tim was spotting me through that one rough spot on T22, I dropped off a rock and slammed my skids really hard as Tim simultaneously shouts "yeah you're gonna droooooo[BAM]oop". It was a funny exchange..... I have skids so i didn't care, and proceeded to bust his balls a bit.

Lol and yes that was hilarious with Tim.