PDA

View Full Version : Dang lower strut fork bolt...

oleblue27
06-15-2013, 11:43 AM
So I was installing the RC 2" lift for a buddy today... Drivers side no problems at all, got to the passenger side, and couldn't get the fork bolt out. I soaked it in PB blaster and hit it just about as hard as I could with a 10lb sledge. No budging. I decided to try and unscrew it a bit from the bolt side and ended up dislodging the metal LCA sleeve that the bolt slides into from the rubber bushing.. So for now we put it back together and he's ordering a new LCA and fork bolt. I think now he's going to have to cut the LCA and the fork bolt just to replace it... I feel bad for northern jeeps lol.

Matt
06-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Take the uca off and swing the strut out. Put the spacer on, swing it back in and put the uca back on.

oleblue27
06-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Yeah I was thinking about that. But my sisters graduation party started at 2 and it was getting late and didnt have time to do it and finish before everyone started showing up. I will do it next time though! Thanks.

oleblue27
06-15-2013, 01:43 PM
You think there will be enough room to swing it back in with the spacer on?

Matt
06-15-2013, 02:21 PM
I haven't had to do that yet, surprisingly. But ive read of a few people using that method on JF.

To be 100% sure, throw some spring compressors on.

oleblue27
06-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Yeah I haven't had a problem with mine yet either... But he doesn't take very good care of it unfortunately so I wasn't really surprised. Haha. But I will do that and let ya know how it works man. Thanks!

Matt
06-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Ive taken the suspension apart on 5+ (ive lost count) northeast wk/xk's and haven't run into a lower bolt that I couldn't get out.

07JeepXK
06-15-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm up north (practically Canada) and I've never had an issue with my strut fork bolts. I used never-seize from day one!

jjt250
06-15-2013, 06:17 PM
I had the same problem as you on the passenger side. Never got it out even with Matt's advice and an impact gun. Mine's seized in the bushing. I had to take the strut out of the strut fork to get it out. Had to compress the springs to have enough clearance with the UCA on.

oleblue27
06-15-2013, 06:39 PM
I had the same problem as you on the passenger side. Never got it out even with Matt's advice and an impact gun. Mine's seized in the bushing. I had to take the strut out of the strut fork to get it out. Had to compress the springs to have enough clearance with the UCA on.

So even with the strut compressed and the Uca out you couldn't get it back in with the RC spacer on?

oleblue27
06-15-2013, 06:41 PM
With mine I had no problem... But like I said, he doesn't take very good care of his jeep. He has mud caked over everything that he never cleaned off.

jjt250
06-15-2013, 09:42 PM
So even with the strut compressed and the Uca out you couldn't get it back in with the RC spacer on?

I was not installing an RC lift, just new coils. From my perspective though, if you do it Matt's way, I think it would work. The RC spacer is only about an inch thick in the front, right? With the UCA off and the spring compressed, I bet you could swing it in.