PDA

View Full Version : hydrolock fix on the trail

xk2006
06-24-2013, 06:44 PM
hey guys I went off road yesterday here in central florida and traveled through a lot of water. tried to go across a long three foot puddle that had a huge dip mid way. when the front end dipped down, i sucked in water and hydrolocked. got pulled out went back to the camp site and pulled all the spark plugs out of the 4.7. cranked the engine, big water sprays, wd40, cranked again, put sparks plugs back in, and kept on trekking. here is the youtube of the first crank, spraying the water out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=8aKIVict_ps
if you cant copy and paste, in youtube, type in: orlando jeep club, hydrolock repair on the trail and see the video of the water spraying out. commanders are amazing. now the only problem is the two inches of water inside the cabin. we dont have "real" floor drain plugs. tried to remove the oem ones, even hammer them out, and no go. instead i drilled 3/8 holes and plugged them with polyurethane hole plug. now any ideas on how to get the water out of the inside cabin from the carpet and the underlying foam that are both completely soaked?

07JeepXK
06-25-2013, 02:46 AM
You got very lucky. That's why I have a snorkel

06JeepXKHEMI
06-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Thats crazy.. best and really only way to remove the water from inside is to use a shop vac and/or shampooer.. I would honestly remove the whole interior carpet, pressure wash it with degreaser, then shop vac it and air dry it. Any other way will leave a nasty smell inside. If you dont take it out, Id crack windows and sunroof to air it out...

Matt
06-25-2013, 07:45 AM
If you got a lot of water in there you're going to need to remove the seats and peel the carpet up so the underside can dry. That insulation/sound dampener will take forever to dry and you'll grow mold long before it dries out. Then once there's mold you're basically SOL and have to replace it.

xk2006
06-26-2013, 07:44 AM
carpet and padding would not dry. took the carpet out and i love it. decided to keep the carpet off and not to replace it. it looks tough and rugged. feels more jeep-ish. i thought it would be more noisier and really isn't. probably get some weathertech style floor mats. anyway, took all the seats out to get all the carpet out. front are easy, back seats are a bugger.

Matt
06-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Cool. Any pics??

07JeepXK
06-27-2013, 07:08 PM
I might pull my carpet this summer and rhino line the floor. Take some pics for us

BonesWK
07-01-2013, 05:35 AM
I might pull my carpet this summer and rhino line the floor. Take some pics for us

I feel like that would turn my WK into an oven

07JeepXK
07-01-2013, 07:13 PM
I feel like that would turn my WK into an oven

Hmmmm think so??

Matt
07-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Negative. Technically taking out the sound dampening material and carpet equates to less insulation. So on the contrary, it means it'll be harder to keep the cab warm in the winter. Will also initially cool down quicker in the summer (the effect of the interior being much hotter than the exterior will be reduced), but wont retain the a/c as well either.... turn the blower up one notch and you'll be good. ;)

07JeepXK
07-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Makes sense

xk2006
07-01-2013, 08:04 PM
took lots of pics, just gotta figure out best and easiest way to post them.

BonesWK
07-02-2013, 06:53 AM
Matt, you're so smart

Yeah post up the pics brother

Matt
07-02-2013, 08:30 AM
Got ya considering taking your carpet out now??? :)

criket
07-02-2013, 09:06 AM
.... turn the blower up one notch and you'll be good. ;)

Turn it up to 11 (eleven) :)

BonesWK
07-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Got ya considering taking your carpet out now??? :)

Not sure - probably not, its already hot as hell down here I cant take the AC not being able to keep up.

Matt
07-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Unless you have a leak it shouldn't have any trouble keeping up.

xk2006
07-03-2013, 08:19 AM
It does not feel hotter inside the cabin at all. However it does feel a bit hotter to the touch if you touch the bare metal along the drive shaft hump. There are square segments about 6x6 inches where they do a "squiggle" of what appears like caulk on top of the floor plan probably to absorb or take care of the heat. I do not know how the cold will play out up north. The only thing that may be annoying is the wiring. They good a good job of hiding it, but there are some spots where it cant be avoided. Either way, it looks bad ass. I will get pics up soon.