PDA

View Full Version : Removing carpet

oleblue27
06-27-2013, 02:18 PM
What do you guys think about removing the carpet in my jeep? I spilt fruit punch Gatorade and there is a big stain.. Are there a lot of wires running under it? I have the husky floor liners if that would help the look. And I would bedline the metal as well.

06JeepXKHEMI
06-27-2013, 02:40 PM
I wouldnt do it unless you planned on wheeling in water often, there really isnt any other benefit to removing it. As far as a stain goes clean it as much as possible then dye it

oleblue27
06-27-2013, 02:42 PM
And I also live on the beach.. I'm constantly getting sand everywhere and it gets dirty so quick. Even with the floor liners

Matt
06-27-2013, 03:47 PM
It's an easy enough experiment.... We need this guy to come back and post some pictures:
http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?2444-hydrolock-fix-on-the-trail

oleblue27
06-27-2013, 05:23 PM
There's a guy on the wk&xk page on Facebook that's about to send me some pics lol.

Matt
06-27-2013, 05:44 PM
That's probably him. Damn all you FB fanboys :p

07JeepXK
06-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Kyle send those pics my way. I'm going to pull my carpet this summer

lekmedm
06-28-2013, 06:52 AM
What do you guys think about removing the carpet in my jeep? I spilt fruit punch Gatorade and there is a big stain.. Are there a lot of wires running under it? I have the husky floor liners if that would help the look. And I would bedline the metal as well.

You have Husky liners and still have stains? Are you drinking Gatorade from a 55 gallon drum???

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

oleblue27
06-28-2013, 07:56 AM
You have Husky liners and still have stains? Are you drinking Gatorade from a 55 gallon drum???

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

Long story lol. I was cleaning the jeep one day and I went to vacuum but realized I used the vac to suck out some overflow water from the ac unit in my attic. I didn't feel like getting it down so I just drove to the car wash to vacuum it there. And on the way there I spilt the Gatorade!! Haha.

And will do Adam!

Adondo
06-28-2013, 11:02 AM
The wiring is contained in plastic trays along the sides. (Door sill area) The floor should be clear of anything important.

If you yank the carpet out, you might consider using rubberized coating such as for boat flooring. I used the stuff in one of my fishing boats, and it was great. It's non-slip, and tough, and has a somewhat "soft" feel to it. It's not like rock-hard undercoating, although you could apply that as well. (You can buy kits)

That Gatorade spillage reminds of a guy that used to work here. He had a drinking problem, and we found booze bottles hidden in the ceiling tiles after he was canned. One of the last straws was his spilling peach brandy on the floor of a Ford van. It's impossible to get cleaned up. (Rubber mat) I'd drive it, and when I'd go to use the brakes, my shoe would be stuck to the floor, and I'd be panicked while trying to rip my foot loose from the floor. The smell was nauseating too. Finally, one of the guys had to remove the whole floor mat and pressure wash it. (Which required removing the seats etc.)

JustinS
07-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Any updates on carpet-less XK's??

The_War_Wagon
07-27-2013, 05:10 AM
Unbelievably, they make this stuff for my Ramcharger! http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/app/acc_vinyl.php UN-fortunately, they DON'T make it for our Commanders... yet... Feel free to write and lobby them to do so - I think this stuff is gonna be great in my RC - and in any vehicle that gets wheeled and SEES mud, sand, & water!

JustinS
07-27-2013, 09:04 AM
Having molded vinyl like that would make clean up so easy!

valpacer
07-28-2013, 12:09 AM
That would be awesome War Wagon!

I just filled mine up with muddy water last weekend, might be time for it all to come out.......