PDA

View Full Version : Refilling the A/C System in the XK

pjmjr508
07-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Having to refill the AC in the XK, because the condenser was punctured. So what is the type of refrig would be best? Also where is the port to refill at? I see 2 that looks to be it, one next to the firewall on the passenger side & the other is up front next to the fan. Any idea on how much of the refrig is needed.

Last and nit least, any tips on the refill, have never done this.

I have done searching on this & got different answers, so help pls.

Matt
07-19-2013, 07:15 PM
If you replaced the condensor you're going to need the a/c refilled professionally. The ONLY way to properly fill the system after such service is to pull a vacuum to completely remove air/moisture then refill.

hoaxci5
07-19-2013, 08:49 PM
I can't even believe it.. I disagree with Matt.

If you have the right equipment (ac manifold gauge and vacuum pump) you can do it yourself. That said I don't own those tools so I've been going back and forth on whether to buy them or pay someone. I just don't trust shops, so I'm more inclined to buy the tools and handle it myself. The only real question mark is how much oil is still in the system, from everything I've read the pros even guess at that though since they aren't pulling all the oil from the compressor before refilling the system.

The nice part about owning the tools and doing it yourself is that you can put the vacuum on the system and verify that you actually don't have any leaks, I expect a shop wouldn't test for a good sealed system for more than an hour or so since they need to move vehicles in and out so quickly.

As far as the ports go there is a low side (before the compressor) and a high side (after the compressor) and you fill into the low side. You put enough refrigerant in to meet the psi level that is appropriate for the external temp/humidity. The low/high side have different size connectors so you can't really mix them up when you have the right equipment to plug into them.

Matt
07-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Hey now Jacob you didn't completely disagree with me. I guess I wasn't expecting that someone would want to buy the tools to refill their A/C since its not something that's done often.

pjmjr508
07-20-2013, 12:16 AM
My system was completely empty. while Dan (my fab guy) was working my bumper a bar had fallen and put a hole in the condenser. When it was replaced anything that was in the system was removed. I did not check for leaks before filling, based off of the fact everything was ok before the mishap. I picked this up (Quest/R-134a Sub Zero refrigerant). I used the fitting close to the firewall on the passenger side, that appeared to be the best bet per the instructions. Based off the gage that came with it, one bottle was just shy of full. It seems to be working great. I will run for a few days & might pick up a small bottle that works with the kit to top it off at full.

Will see how it goes from here.

BTW thanks guys for your input.
The funny thing is it never gets hot here & when the ac went down we get a heat wave high 80's. Here it is a heat wave, also the humidity was high which is not normal here. so this last week sucked.

Matt
07-20-2013, 05:12 AM
Sorry man but any moisture that's left in the system will cause issues. There's a significant amount of air/moisture that don't play nice with the pump and corrode the internals of the system. It's probably worse than throwing non HOAT antifreeze in your reservoir tank.

I know you say you don't use A/C much, but if you plan on keeping that XK for a while you're shooting yourself in the foot.

pjmjr508
07-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Sorry man but any moisture that's left in the system will cause issues. There's a significant amount of air/moisture that don't play nice with the pump and corrode the internals of the system. It's probably worse than throwing non HOAT antifreeze in your reservoir tank.

I know you say you don't use A/C much, but if you plan on keeping that XK for a while you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Thx for the info & this is the first time dealing with the AC units. Next month I will have it all vac out & redo, I do plan on keeping for a very long time.

hoaxci5
07-20-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm thinking the tools cost less than the labor so it's a solid investment :) and you know on the old rusty xj something else is going to spring a leak sooner or later.

pjmjr508
07-20-2013, 09:07 AM
LOL

07JeepXK
07-20-2013, 10:02 AM
I'm with Matt. It needs to be done professionally on our XK. My buddy jay has all the equipment Jacob mentioned for AC and after I did the rear AC/Heat delete I had him vac the system and recharge it. Well lets just say it didn't work to well on the XK and I had to take it to the dealer and have it done. Jay has charged about 50 cars with no problems but the XK was a different story.

Matt
07-20-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm thinking the tools cost less than the labor so it's a solid investment :) and you know on the old rusty xj something else is going to spring a leak sooner or later.

Im trying to remember what we charged.... I think it was about $180 for a complete a/c recharge with dye (varied based on the capacity of the system). Last I looked (because my neighbor needs ac work) a manifold $ pump kit was over $400, plus I still needed freon.

Let me know what you end up getting though; I may want to borrow your setup. :)

hoaxci5
07-20-2013, 11:59 AM
It's $60ish for the manifold gauges, and this little dodad is said to work in place of a real pump.
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

Matt
07-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Now you have me looking again.... I have a tendency to look at the more brand name supplies. I don't know how much I trust the harbor freight dodad lol but this doesn't look too bad:
http://www.amazon.com/FJC-KIT6-Vacuum-Pump-Gauge/dp/B001C6LG3Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1

hoaxci5
07-20-2013, 04:14 PM
I have to check but I think Autozone has a vacuum pump for rent, and possibly gauges, but not sure on either yet.. when I go to buy my replacement parts I'll be asking...

07JeepXK
07-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Now you have me looking again.... I have a tendency to look at the more brand name supplies. I don't know how much I trust the harbor freight dodad lol but this doesn't look too bad:
http://www.amazon.com/FJC-KIT6-Vacuum-Pump-Gauge/dp/B001C6LG3Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1

Matt. That's what my buddy Jay has.

Matt
07-20-2013, 05:56 PM
What kind of issue did he have when trying to refill your system?

07JeepXK
07-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Well first off that vac pump didn't totally vac everything out of the ac system. Then when he went to charge it he couldn't get the exact amount of freon back in the system to the proper specs. It ended up getting a hair over charged while led to an idling issue. The dealer vacc'd the system for me and put in the proper amount of freon and it fixed the idle issue

Matt
07-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Yeah I can see how that'd be an issue. The professional units are setup to put exactly the amount of freon needed back in the system.

07JeepXK
07-21-2013, 05:01 AM
Exactly. And our XK's don't like it when the system is under/over charged!

Core XK
07-25-2013, 03:55 PM
I just had a shot of freon put in the XK. Air wasnt cold enough for me!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2