PDA

View Full Version : HIDS

Core XK
07-21-2013, 06:13 PM
So I have a question for those who have installed any after market lights.

I had 6000k HIDS from Xentec installed yesterday. They look awesome and im very happy. With that said, they seem to work when they want to work? Once I unlock the truck the firsr time they turn on, and when I start the truck they also go on. However if I turn them off they wont turn back on right away...I literally have to wait 5-10 minutes to reunlock truck/turn truck on to bring the lights back on. On top of that when I lock the truck the lights do turn off but they strobe for about 15 seconds before turning completely off.

Sorry for the long description but has anyone heard of or encountered such an issue? When they work they work great......
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Core XK
07-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Just realized I have an open thread on this already lol sorry

06JeepXKHEMI
07-22-2013, 06:52 AM
You need to have a relay installed.. Also, turn the setting off that turns the lights on when you unlock the truck, the constant on/off will burn out your ballasts. HIDs are sick but they can be a pain! How do you have them wired? It should be a very straight forward plug and play with a relay...

Core XK
07-22-2013, 07:08 AM
You need to have a relay installed.. Also, turn the setting off that turns the lights on when you unlock the truck, the constant on/off will burn out your ballasts. HIDs are sick but they can be a pain! How do you have them wired? It should be a very straight forward plug and play with a relay...

Ill definitely turn that option off for unlock.

Its definitely a really easy setup. It only goes in one way but im not sure if theres a relay? Not even sure how to go about that. One thing I know is one part goes into the oem harness and another into this little black box that tapes to the truck (ballest??)

06JeepXKHEMI
07-22-2013, 07:25 AM
The way I had it wired is this:
power from + terminal on battery with inline fuse to relay, grounded to - terminal plugged into ballast, ballast to drivers OEM harness.. Then should have long wires to reach passenger assembly ballast to lights with a ground wire. Passenger OEM harness does not get used, tape up to cover exposed terminal.

If yours isnt hooked up that way you will get flickering and that will ruin the ballasts.

Core XK
07-22-2013, 10:59 AM
The way I had it wired is this:
power from + terminal on battery with inline fuse to relay, grounded to - terminal plugged into ballast, ballast to drivers OEM harness.. Then should have long wires to reach passenger assembly ballast to lights with a ground wire. Passenger OEM harness does not get used, tape up to cover exposed terminal.

If yours isnt hooked up that way you will get flickering and that will ruin the ballasts.

Yeah that sounds much more involved then this set-up. I am irritated because the first set I bought from another company had bad bulbs, and when we put them in they started smoking.

Now that I got a new set from a different company they work fine, and now these issues start. Sometimes they won't even turn on.....

The set up with these are (2) wires go from the ballast to the OEM harness, and (2) additional wires go from the ballast directly into the light socket.

I wish I would have known I needed a relay and possibly a capacitor/canceler before going into this lol....

I am at a point of just returning them and going back to OEM lights......

06JeepXKHEMI
07-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Haha bro the relay install is cake! But you definitely need the relay for them to work correctly. I did tell you not to cheap out on the HID kit!!!! Its really not difficult to plug in the relay, just go to autozone get a relay kit for like $10-20 and install. If I were keeping the XK I was going to installl new HID kit for HL and FL..

Core XK
07-22-2013, 11:49 AM
Okay, ill definitely take your advice and go get a relay kit tonight. Do you have a dumbed down explination on how to install the relay? Lol

06JeepXKHEMI
07-22-2013, 12:25 PM
There are a bunch of threads and pics if you google, thats what I did and picked the one easiest for me to understand..

Core XK
07-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks brother! Ill let you know how I make out.

Core XK
07-22-2013, 02:18 PM
So no autozone or pepboys near me have a relay. Suggestions? Buy it online?

Core XK
07-22-2013, 04:04 PM
I guess I need to make sure whichever relay I get will work with my current HID kit?

06JeepXKHEMI
07-23-2013, 07:45 AM
Yea I got mine online, cant remember where but there are a ton.. Just make sure its an HID relay

The_War_Wagon
07-23-2013, 07:57 AM
Where's that other thread?!?!

My factory foglights do me fine in the big city, but I wouldn't mind putting some HIDS on my Ramcharger. All I have currently, are the old square halogen headlights - the kind you have to undo the assembly on, and take the whole headlamp out... like we all had to do, waaaay back in the... early '90's. :p

lekmedm
07-23-2013, 10:23 AM
All I have currently, are the old square halogen headlights - the kind you have to undo the assembly on, and take the whole headlamp out... like we all had to do, waaaay back in the... early '90's. :p

You have all kinds of options for those lights:

http://everythingcarparts.com/product.php?productid=15064

http://www.amazon.com/automotive/dp/B008NKXHKO

http://www.tlg-auto.com/category_s/93.htm

Core XK
07-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Just an update on this thread.

I ordered a Xenon HID relay harness. I just installed it today. As you said Andrew, could not be more simple. There was a great bolt ready to ground the passenger wire as well.

Lights now work with no flickering. So note to all XK owners wanting to upgrade to specific HID systems. Most systems will require a relay to work properly in our trucks (The merchant will not tell you this! lol)

The_War_Wagon
07-26-2013, 05:07 PM
You have all kinds of options for those lights:

I'd actually bookmarked these as future options - http://www.andysautosport.com/dodge/1982_1993_ramcharger/lights/headlights/rugged_ridge/rugd00000638.html - but your list looks good too! Can't have too many sources for 21 year old headlights! Can't wait'll I'm trying to do this for the Commander, too... in 2028! :eek:

Core XK
07-27-2013, 06:59 AM
Haha the difference with HIDS is worth the trouble I went through.

Core XK
07-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Just an update, now that the HIDS are relayed to the battery. They turn on when I unkock the jeep even though the option is off. I assume its because its being powered from the battery?

06JeepXKHEMI
07-29-2013, 11:36 AM
Yup pretty much, all I did was turn them by the switch when I got in before turning it over, then turned them off after a few seconds so its not on and off on and off, thats what kills the ballasts.

Core XK
07-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Well another update....

The lights just killed my battery. Hooked up correctly with a harness and still died. Im not sure what is happening but im taking them out right now.

07JeepXK
07-29-2013, 04:10 PM
And that's why I have never installed HID's on any of my vehicles. I hear of way to many issues with them. Sylvania SilverStar Ultras provide enough light for me and way brighter than OEM bulbs and takes 30 seconds to install

Core XK
07-29-2013, 04:17 PM
The mechanic said he doesnt think the lights killed the battery. The new battery has a 3 year warranty. He put the new battery in and hooked the lights back up.

Not sure what to do yet......suggestions??

Core XK
07-29-2013, 04:49 PM
I also want to know why the lights keep turning on when I unlock the truck....annoyed.

oleblue27
07-29-2013, 05:02 PM
I have the VVME 8k hids and am running a relay. I've had em installed for close to a year now with no problems... Also, my lights turned on when i unlocked as well but i went through the menu in the info center, turned OFF illuminated appr and now they dont turn on when I unlock. Hope that helps!

Core XK
07-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks man ill give it a try and update the thread.

Core XK
07-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Turned off that illuminated arch and thay took care of that issue. Thanks man lol

oleblue27
07-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Turned off that illuminated arch and thay took care of that issue. Thanks man lol

No problems man, glad I could help!

pjmjr508
07-29-2013, 08:44 PM
glad to hear this because I have my HIDs going in this weekend, now know how to prevent any issues.

Core XK
07-30-2013, 04:18 AM
Yeah hope they work out man. Give us an update. If I have anymore issues I intend to just go with what Adam has which are brighter halogens.

06JeepXKHEMI
07-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Honestly, I HATE the silverstar ultras, maybe Im just used to the light HIDs put out but they honestly suck, IMO. If your HIDs drained your battery they werent hooked up right

Core XK
07-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Yeah pepboys hooked them back up. We will see what happens the next few days but ill keep updating this thread for people to reference.

07JeepXK
07-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Honestly, I HATE the silverstar ultras, maybe Im just used to the light HIDs put out but they honestly suck, IMO. If your HIDs drained your battery they werent hooked up right

If you hate the SilverStar ultras then you must have really hated your stock lights. SilverStar ultras are night and day difference

06JeepXKHEMI
07-30-2013, 12:49 PM
I did! Thats why I originally did the swap, I drive down some dark wooded areas without any light what so ever and the ultras dont do much help, HIDs were so much better.

pjmjr508
07-30-2013, 06:27 PM
I will update this weekend when I put them in.

Core XK
07-30-2013, 07:56 PM
I will update this weekend when I put them in.

Lookint forward to it!