PDA

View Full Version : Traded in my Commander

redrockv8
07-27-2013, 02:08 PM
I never thought I would do this but I traded in my Commander for a 2014 Grand Cherokee with hemi engine and the new 8 speed transmission. This difference in acceleration between my 4.7 Commander and this is night and day. This new one is like driving a Corvette. Exceptional power. So far I'm getting better gas milage. I turned over 600 miles today and bought in on Monday the 22nd.
On the way to make the trade I turned over 77,000 on my 07 Commander that I bought new in July of 08 when the price of oil was $147 a barrel and no one wanted a big box V8. The Commander has been a dream vehicle and performed flawlessly for me as I drove her around the county visiting numerous National Parks in several states and several trips to the beaches in Florida. My bucket list is no where near completed and I wanted a new vehicle as I figured in another year or so I would have 1000,000. Some would say that's not much and maybe so but when they reach that magic number ther trade in value goes down. It will be a month before I figure out all the gadgets,widgets and accessoris on this Grand. I told the salesman I wished I was trading for a new Commander instead of the Grand. I never really warmed up to the rear end design, but after driving it for 5 days I've changed my mind.
I just hope this vehicle is as reliable as my Commander was. Except for the clogged sunroof drains which I fixed she was virtually trouble free. Extra fine vehicle which I was very proud to drive.

I see this forum is for both the Commander and the Grand Cherokee but I do not see any Grand threads. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

As a personal note I'v had a drivers license for 53 years and have never owned a foreign car/truck and each one had never let me down. I would never consider a foreign vehicle expecially one from Japan. I am of the generation that is still Pissed about Pearl Harbor. I am a maintence freek and it paid off. This is my 4th Jeep. I sill have a 96 Xj sitting in the driveway that runs like it was new. Never spent a dime on it except for tires and battery.
Nothing on the road screams American more than "JEEP".

Thank you and good night,
HT

Matt
07-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Oh we're a dying bread. Seems like we're losing more XK members than gaining :(

Hey man the Hemi WK2 is a sweet vehicle and will serve you well. This forum is primarily targeted at the XK & WK's, but there is the "Other Jeeps" section. A lot still applies so if you have questions about anything feel free to post up. I'm sure we can still help and/or point you in the right direction. :)

07JeepXK
07-27-2013, 02:26 PM
I'm going to hate the day that I have to post a similar thread. My XK is going to turn 140,000 in another month or so. Still runs great. I get the 4.7 liter tick when it's cold out until it warms up but other than that its been a great vehicle. I'd love a new Grand Cherokee but not sure if I can spend that kind of money on a vehicle I can't really lift. So next will probably be a 4 door wrangler with long arm suspension unless i can find a clean 2010 Hemi XK.

Matt
07-27-2013, 02:52 PM
It's like a bad game of "last man standing".

Mine's paid off with less than 60k miles... so barring it getting totaled I'll be around for quite some time.

JustinS
07-27-2013, 03:13 PM
XK's need to get dirt cheap so people don't mind chooping them up for SFA swaps! I'm keeping mine till it dies!

LWM
07-27-2013, 03:23 PM
I see this forum is for both the Commander and the Grand Cherokee but I do not see any Grand threads. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right place.

Congrats on your new vehicle, please start as many threads as you want as I am sure over time there will be many more owners who will want what you have to share.

The_War_Wagon
07-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Would LOVE to pop a Hemi in mine. I test drove an '08 Hemi Commander... about a month after I'd bought mine... STILL kicking myself...

Pulling these hills in stop 'n' go city traffic though, I find driving around with the "Tow/Haul" engaged, gets me off the line a heckuva lot faster though! :cool:

Core XK
07-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Congrats on your new WK man. I dig the front but dispise the back; however, its still a great truck.

I just hit 27,500 on my 2010 hemi XK and I love it to death. I really hope this truck last me a very long time. I recently started a new position to train as a branch manager for the credit union I work at. This position requires a lot of traveling all around PA. I made sure to budget extra for gas in this XK as we all know its hard on gas. I hope I never make a thread about trading my xk in but everyone has their reasons. I actually love that there is no vehicle id rather have year to year.

I hope this forum is still around 10 years from now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

07JeepXK
07-27-2013, 06:06 PM
It's like a bad game of "last man standing".

Mine's paid off with less than 60k miles... so barring it getting totaled I'll be around for quite some time.

I'll be around for a while still. Driving the XK until it blows up!! If I get a wrangler it would be more or less a DD and the XK would be more devoted to off road/weekend vehicle

pjmjr508
07-27-2013, 10:50 PM
enjoy the WK2.

I plan on having my XK for a very long time.

valpacer
07-27-2013, 11:48 PM
Good choice on the new ride, ive had the chance to play with a few of the new WK2's and they do really well!

The_War_Wagon
07-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Forgot to ask - is it a Trailhawk? :cool:

lekmedm
07-28-2013, 03:54 PM
I'll be around for a while still. Driving the XK until it blows up!!

x2 :cool:

redrockv8
10-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Well it's 3 months and 5,200 miles later and I'm really loving this Grand Cherokee. Drove from St.Louis to Destin,Florida and averaged 23.5MPG's. (this is from the on board computer. I didn't do the math as MPG's is not a reason to buy a Jeep so the actual figure is not that important to me.) Close to 5MPG's more than I was getting in the Commander. I really like the 8 speed transmission and the hemi engine is much more powerful than my 4.7. The 8.4" nav screen is really cool and love the blue tooth and the ability to talk to the Jeep to get it to change from satellite radio to media to making phone calls. Haven't taken it off road yet except to test the sand mode for a short distance East of Pensacola. Beach. Worked great.

I do miss this forum as most of the posters here seem to be mature and very little flaming or insulting one another. On The other jeep forum they are constantly fighting over who has the V6 and who has the V8and which one is better. They really get nasty about it. In 3 years on this forum and 2 years on the other Commander forum I've never seen that except for a few times mostly in a tongue in cheek or friendly way.
Apparently not everyone knows that "hemi" is a trademark name. Chrysler does not claim it is a true hemi. Also there is no P-51 under the hood of a Mustang nor is there a live coyote under the Ford. No trees in the Forrester either.
So far my only issue has been moisture in one of the rear reflectors. I'm having it replaced under waranty tomorrow.

Matt
10-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Glad to hear you're liking the WK2! I actually saw one offroading at Rausch Creek yesterday.... was cool to see a stock WK2 hanging around some built wranglers. My friend also borrowed his dads WK2 for our OBX trip last year and the thing handled the sugar sand great (and he was able to skip most of the gas stations I had to stop at!!)

10-4 on the forum thing. That's the main reason I'm basically here or nowhere. Just because you don't have an WK/XK doesn't mean you're not allowed to hang around here anymore. Feel free to post up whatever you have going on :)

indymtb
11-19-2013, 04:51 AM
1) Sounds like a nice rig. I was a little bummed when they made QDII without the ELSD in the front.

2) Mine is a 2010 XK at 48K. I am hoping for another 100K. The other place where XKs communicate is starting to get tumbleweeds blowing across the screen. I hope more people start buying the sold ones. The rig has lots of space and I love the hemi.

3) I am curious if you can put a 2" spacer lift in it like the commander.