PDA

View Full Version : Not a fun day

pjmjr508
08-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Unsure what happen to lead to this,
Right now my dash gauges light up, but do not work. All the error lights on the dash are on. My headlights & signals do not work, along with my fogs. The taillights only work if you hit the brakes. The easy start with the key also not working. The windows do not work either. No codes, by either the key dance & flashpaq. When I plugged in the flashpaq it reads a link with the XK, but when trying to access to retune to stock it comes back with an error saying it does not detect the key in the on position.
Now the stereo & nav is still working. The ac/heater is working. The engine runs fine. All the interior lights work fine, along with the heated seats.

All I know was the HIDS was wired up & installed. On test none of the HIDS came on, had got HIDS for the low beam & fogs. After checking the directions & confirmed all done right, he removed them & put the stocks back in until later. I do have the relays with them so I will try them later.

The winch was wired & installed & tested yesterday. So today he unwound 2 layers of cable to line it up for me and when he got back in the jeep he saw all the error lights & found all the non working items I listed before. Also the wireless attachment worked last night when he tested it, then today it would not work. I have a friend close to me that has the same winch & I will have him test my wireless attachment & wireless fob to see it they failed or its an issue with the winch control box.

All I know when I got off work to check in on the progress on the bumper & the lower front skids. This is what I found. Have not seen the XK since Wed.

All this was installed by a certified electrician, so find it hard to think he hooked it up wrong.

Making arrangements for it to be taken to the dealership tomorrow & hoping it will be covered under the extended warranty I got for it.

Any thoughts?

07JeepXK
08-05-2013, 02:34 AM
So this all happened after the winch install or the HIDs?

06JeepXKHEMI
08-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Id check relays and fuses first, obviously. Sounds like something was popped during install

Matt
08-05-2013, 06:03 AM
OBDII isnt registering that the key is in on position? Did he tap into the ignition switch wires? Id start there..... remove any splices (if there are any), pull all fuses/relays controlling your new accessories, and replace the ignition switch.

thance
08-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Certified electrician? Is he working on your house or your car?

I would imagine if an electrician can spell DC he's passed that half of the test.

Hopefully someone will jump in and set me straight, but I'm not sure a certified electrician carries any weight in AUTOLAND.

I would have him unhook the battery, undo everything electrical up to this point, return to original and hook the battery back up. Hopefully, you'll be back to square one.

thance
08-05-2013, 11:15 AM
06Jeep had a good idea too.... check all relays and fuses. Sometimes just pulling them out and putting them back seats them properly and resolves issues...... One at a time!

pjmjr508
08-05-2013, 07:29 PM
OBDII isnt registering that the key is in on position? Did he tap into the ignition switch wires? Id start there..... remove any splices (if there are any), pull all fuses/relays controlling your new accessories, and replace the ignition switch.

Winch was only connected to the battery with the relays & fuses that came with it.

The HID kit was completely plug & play, so no splicing there as well.

Checked fuses & not sure how to check relays.

pjmjr508
08-05-2013, 07:34 PM
So this all happened after the winch install or the HIDs?

Winch was installed & wired up the night before. It was tested that night as well & worked with out an issue. The HIDs were installed the next day (yesterday) and they did not work from what he told me so he took them out for me to look at later. Later on he had started the jeep & backed it up about 10 ft and there was no issues at that time & then he unwound about 10 ft of cable & lined up the cable. When he got in the jeep to pull it forward that's when he said he saw everything lit up on the dash. So if I understand that this all happened after when he rewound the cable. So have no clue what happen other than that, I was at work.

Matt
08-05-2013, 07:38 PM
What do you mean by plug & play?? Where did it plug into?

From the issues you mentioned, you're beyond a fuse or relay issue. The ignition switch might have shorted and fused some of the connections.

pjmjr508
08-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Certified electrician? Is he working on your house or your car?

I would imagine if an electrician can spell DC he's passed that half of the test.

Hopefully someone will jump in and set me straight, but I'm not sure a certified electrician carries any weight in AUTOLAND.

I would have him unhook the battery, undo everything electrical up to this point, return to original and hook the battery back up. Hopefully, you'll be back to square one.

The only thing that was left hooked up was the winch. I had unhooked that as well, but did not make any difference.

FYI Yes he is a Certified electrician, he is also a fabricator among other things. He has hand built a toy 4runner with a Chev SB350. The 4 runner is setup like a Avalanche with a bed & 4 doors. It is lifted with custom roll cage & had rewired the entire truck, So he does know what he is doing.

Matt
08-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Could also be coincidence.... seen a few weird things happen in my day (and im a young guy, relatively speaking)

I still think you gotta start with the obvious- OBDII is not recognizing key in the ON position..... sounds like ign switch fault to me.

pjmjr508
08-05-2013, 07:46 PM
What do you mean by plug & play?? Where did it plug into?

From the issues you mentioned, you're beyond a fuse or relay issue. The ignition switch might have shorted and fused some of the connections.

Other than grounding it, its completely plug & play.

Matt
08-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Roger that. I'd unplug it from the vehicle lamp socket while you're troubleshooting to rule out an incorrectly installed diode (or similar) in the ballast that may be causing issues.

pjmjr508
08-05-2013, 07:50 PM
I hope this was just a bad coincidence.
Dropped it off at the dealership today after work, they said that they might get to it by friday. I have a 100k Extended warranty on it so hoping all this will be covered. Will update once I hear more.

I will have to say that I had most of the sale floor asking a million questions on what I have done to it. The bumper is on it, most of the front skids is done & on it, so it does look sick with the rest I have done to it so far.

Matt
08-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Hope it all works out man. Looking forward to the updated pics

pjmjr508
08-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Hope it all works out man. Looking forward to the updated pics

Thanks,
Its so freakin close to being done I can not wait.

thance
08-06-2013, 08:22 AM
The only thing that was left hooked up was the winch. I had unhooked that as well, but did not make any difference.

FYI Yes he is a Certified electrician, he is also a fabricator among other things. He has hand built a toy 4runner with a Chev SB350. The 4 runner is setup like a Avalanche with a bed & 4 doors. It is lifted with custom roll cage & had rewired the entire truck, So he does know what he is doing.

I don't know the fellow working on your jeep, so I'll leave that to you. I just have seen too many professionals very narrowly trained in a expertise with little to no ability to use that knowledge in a more general sense. It's my own past experience that triggered my short rant, and may have no relation to your situation.

Relays can sometimes become stuck and a gentle tap can return them to working order.

HIDs create a lot of line noise that may interfere with other systems. Do your HIDs come with noise suppressors? Mine did not (despite being a complete plugin kit). In my case this has created lots of interference with the radio, but no other known ill effects. This would not be a problem when the HIDs are off, as long as they didn't hurt anything permanently when they were on.

thance
08-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Also, did you try just disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes to reset everything internally? I originally suggested unhooking the battery and returning the system to original to kill 2 birds with one stone.

pjmjr508
08-06-2013, 06:14 PM
I don't know the fellow working on your jeep, so I'll leave that to you. I just have seen too many professionals very narrowly trained in a expertise with little to no ability to use that knowledge in a more general sense. It's my own past experience that triggered my short rant, and may have no relation to your situation.

Relays can sometimes become stuck and a gentle tap can return them to working order.

HIDs create a lot of line noise that may interfere with other systems. Do your HIDs come with noise suppressors? Mine did not (despite being a complete plugin kit). In my case this has created lots of interference with the radio, but no other known ill effects. This would not be a problem when the HIDs are off, as long as they didn't hurt anything permanently when they were on.

The guy that is working on my jeep is my wifes cousin & have known for a while, & worked on projects with him. I understand where you were coming from, just I would not let someone do this much work to my jeep unless I knew them or was a large shop that will have insurance to repair it. He has already built me several skids for the XK & almost done building a one off bumper for the front & will build one for the rear as well with a swing out tire carrier.

pjmjr508
08-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Also, did you try just disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes to reset everything internally? I originally suggested unhooking the battery and returning the system to original to kill 2 birds with one stone.
left the battery disconnected overnight before taking it in to the dealership yesterday.

All I know right now is there is a crap load issue with my ele in the jeep & don't really know how it happen because I was not there, waiting to hear what Jeep has to say & go from there.

pjmjr508
08-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Roger that. I'd unplug it from the vehicle lamp socket while you're troubleshooting to rule out an incorrectly installed diode (or similar) in the ballast that may be causing issues.

The HIDS were removed right away when they did not work when tested, all that was in the jeep when this happen was the stock bulbs, from my understanding.

1USMC
08-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Its so freakin close to being done I can not wait.

Hang in there !!! ;-)

pjmjr508
08-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Heard back from the dealership today & they said that it was 2 blown fuses. They will also take care some other issues I need to get taken care of covered under the warranty. They will also be doing the recall while it is there.

Before any says it, I did check the fuses so I want to have them show where the fuses blew at.

07JeepXK
08-13-2013, 02:52 AM
Heard back from the dealership today & they said that it was 2 blown fuses. They will also take care some other issues I need to get taken care of covered under the warranty. They will also be doing the recall while it is there.

Before any says it, I did check the fuses so I want to have them show where the fuses blew at.

Hmm that's weird. Well I guess if its all fixed that's all that matters

Matt
08-13-2013, 03:12 AM
Lol thats crazy weird. Blown fuses usually mean things stop working, not that other things work when they shouldn't.

Well at least it was an easy fix!

pjmjr508
08-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Who knows, from what I understand it will be done by the end of the week.