PDA

View Full Version : Tried installing a 2" BB lift today

Cloud6221
08-23-2013, 09:43 AM
I started with the rear lift first, thinking that it was be easier and faster. If I just finished the rear I could still drive to work and finish the front the next day. I unbolt the shocks, sway bar and upper control arm. Then, I removed the springs and unbolted the bump stop. When I went to bolt on the spacer with the bump stop bracket. The instructions said to toque to 32 ft/lbs. I break out the toque wrench and pop! The nut that was welded on comes off before I can tighten the bolt. At this point I'm freaking out. I decided to take a breath jb weld the nut back on and try the other side. I just hand tighted the other side and almost pull that nut off. I tried to get the spring back on with the spacer, but I can't see anyway of getting it on without a spring compressor. Which the spring compressor is said not to be needed. I can't see anyway of getting the springs back on without undoing the lower control arm or a spring compressor. So, I put everything thing back together without spacers and I'm hoping the bump stop doesn't fall off while I drive to work. I don't know what to do now, but wait till I have some money to get a better lift and pay someone else to install it.

hoaxci5
08-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Where do you live?

How much more space is needed to fit the spring in with the lift on? I recall it not being easy, but bouncing up and down on the axle and using a jack to move the axle around I seem to recall making it work.

Matt
08-23-2013, 12:50 PM
I've installed quite a few of those lifts and haven't needed a spring compressor. Though the driver side is sometimes a bit challenging if the UCA is still connected and the gas tank skid isn't trimmed (but i've still done it). Some properly placed pry bars and the spring clocked in the right position make all the difference on the drivers side.

The bump stop could probably be repaired with a rivnut for a bit more permanent of a solution.

Where are you located? If you're within driving distance there's probably a member here who could give you a hand.

Cloud6221
08-23-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm located in Union County in New Jersey. But with work and school, I'm afraid of not having enough time to get the job done. I think the JB weld is holding the nut with enough strength. I would like to put some more on the next time I try to install the lift so it will hold better.

Matt
08-24-2013, 04:30 AM
I'm free today if you want to take a ride down the parkway. (i'm busy tomorrow and next weekend)