PDA

View Full Version : H53Ecrewchief's garage

H53Ecrewchief
09-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and thought I'd introduce myself while simultaneously starting up my garage thread. I came over from the other XK forum where I have been a member for quite a while but haven't been very active for the last couple of years (posted there under a different screen name). My interest in upgrading/moding my jeep has been reignited recently and I found this forum a couple of weeks ago. Now on to my Jeep.

'06 65th anniversary, approx. 80K miles

List of current mods & upgrades:
MOPAR bull bar with 6" PIAA off road pattern lights
2" Rough Country lift
255/65 Cooper ATRs
stock wheels painted black
Surco safari roof rack
tail light guards
grab handles
OEM front skid plate
4XGuard belly guard
Rusty's Chrysler 8.25 rear diff skid plate
Flowmaster 50 series SUV muffler
K&N drop in
optima red top
Infinity Reference speakers
POLK Audio amp
shorty antenna

My wife recently, although reluctantly, agreed to let me finally get the superlift, after years of asking, when our financial and life situation stabilizes a little bit more( we are currently waiting to close on a new house and expecting our third child in December). However, I have since decided to put the money I would spend on that project toward a dedicated trail rig so that I can do more hardcore wheeling with some of the local 4X4 groups and not pound my XK which is my daily driver. I still plan on wheeling the XK until this new project comes to fruition and on lighter trail runs, and I plan on more upgrades to the XK until then. This forum is great and I have learned a lot as I have been formulating some of those plans over the last couple of weeks, but for every question answered I seem to have 2 more so I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more from me over the next few months. I'm going to start slowly buying parts now and accumulating them over the next few months so I can do the work all at once next spring and don't have to foot the entire bill all at once.
So far my plan involves:
Upgrade to OME HD springs and struts and replacing any wearable suspension parts while I'm at it. Other than the RC lift all suspension components are original and have over 80K on them.
RRO leveling spacer
Monroe load leveling shocks.
Tires (255/75, will search for best pricing, etc... at the time I'm ready to buy and decide on exact tire then. was going to go M/T but AT may be more appropriate since I plan on getting the trail rig anyway)
Wheels, probably Pro Comp 7033

Thanks for checking out my garage thread, I know its a long post. I'll try to get a few pics up later.

Matt
09-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Hey man welcome to the forum! Don't be shy about asking questions here.... if anyone tries to yell at your for "not searching" it means they haven't been here long and will get a hand slapping :p

Sounds like you have some good plans! Have any pics of the XK in its current state?

And congrats on the upcoming baby! We just had our 3rd this past summer. If you need tips on how to get 3 carseats in the back of your XK, you've come to the right place lol.

Where are you from?

JustinS
09-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Welcome, where ya from?

lekmedm
09-25-2013, 06:13 PM
... if anyone tries to yell at your for "not searching" it means they haven't been here long....

Where are you from?

Yep, good ol' 5352 really ruins the atmosphere over there and doesn't understand why.

Anyway, welcome, dude! Make yourself at home, and do tell the general whereabouts of your homebase.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

Matt
09-25-2013, 06:18 PM
lol i wasn't calling anyone out in-particular. They're kinda brutal on JF.

H53Ecrewchief
09-25-2013, 11:04 PM
A few pics from a wheeling trip last year, don't think its changed since then.

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/09/KFwQy6gviGz4oq7fxWsvphm6H4WoOgBoJumtJ4zw-1.jpg

Far left
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/09/DSCN0596a-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/09/Hfe7K7XSB7eNu9BLNNSRy53XvWSjcM6dlLq7azyk-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/09/7jqIA2ytXeK4YoormIYyy9aRMlZKiYx31E3T4wjR-1.jpg

H53Ecrewchief
09-25-2013, 11:14 PM
I live in Milwaukee, WI. Moving out of the city next month though. Matt, our oldest doesn't need a seat anymore so it'll only be two, but if my wife gets her way we might need your advice on the three seats sometime in the future.

1USMC
09-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Welcome to the Forum !! You might see a few others that have migrated over here also. Time = Wisdom.. LOl.
Great photos !, Looks like you have a lot of exciting things going on in your life , Congrats ! And we look forward to seeing your rigs grow.

Adondo
09-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Welcome.

I love that photo. Now, that's what Jeeps are supposed to look like!! Plastered in filth!! When you can't see the headlights anymore: job = complete.

pjmjr508
09-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Welcome & great pics

H53Ecrewchief
01-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Getting antsy to start working on the jeep again. I'm going to start buying parts so when it gets a little warmer I can start throwing them on. The only problem-I can't decide exactly what I want to do with the rear suspension. I'm set on the front, going with OME HD and RR leveling spacer. I've got a bunch of ideas for possibilities on the rear just want some of you guys' opinions. I want the jeep to be level or have a little bit of the stock rake, just don't want it to be squatting back. Torn between the OME shocks or the Monroe load levelers, I'd like the little bit of a boost the monroes would give but some of the pics I've seen on the forum almost make it look like it lifts the rear too much. For coils I was thinking OME HD. JBA, just not sure how they would compare to the OME, I'd hate to spend the extra money if they don't really lift a full 2.5". Or maybe even OME MD springs and keep the RC rear spacer for about 3" of lift? Any opinions or pros/cons to a certain one of these set ups that anyone knows of. I haven't seen anyone running anything other than the basic budget spacer kits in person so I/m having trouble deciding based on pics alone. I know some people have used a 4" coil but from what I remember they all carried heavy loads in the back which I don't. Could be a possibility though. Please help me decide!

Core XK
01-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Getting antsy to start working on the jeep again. I'm going to start buying parts so when it gets a little warmer I can start throwing them on. The only problem-I can't decide exactly what I want to do with the rear suspension. I'm set on the front, going with OME HD and RR leveling spacer. I've got a bunch of ideas for possibilities on the rear just want some of you guys' opinions. I want the jeep to be level or have a little bit of the stock rake, just don't want it to be squatting back. Torn between the OME shocks or the Monroe load levelers, I'd like the little bit of a boost the monroes would give but some of the pics I've seen on the forum almost make it look like it lifts the rear too much. For coils I was thinking OME HD. JBA, just not sure how they would compare to the OME, I'd hate to spend the extra money if they don't really lift a full 2.5". Or maybe even OME MD springs and keep the RC rear spacer for about 3" of lift? Any opinions or pros/cons to a certain one of these set ups that anyone knows of. I haven't seen anyone running anything other than the basic budget spacer kits in person so I/m having trouble deciding based on pics alone. I know some people have used a 4" coil but from what I remember they all carried heavy loads in the back which I don't. Could be a possibility though. Please help me decide!

Well, Matt and I just installed a modified OME HD lift on my XK and aside from a SL I think it is the best lift for the money. The front is OME HD Springs and Struts + Strut Spacer. Rear is OME HD Springs + RC Spacer. I love the feel of this stiffer suspension and I am so glad we did it. I am excited to test it out on the trails. Plus the painted silver suspension makes the XK look much more modified!

Matt
01-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Definitely check out Corey's XK. You could pretty much match what he did and easily get the results you're looking for.

Depending on what you're looking for I think there are better shock options for the rear than OME. Hell there's a nice set of Fox resi shocks for sale on Jeepforum right now... you should snatch them up!

H53Ecrewchief
01-27-2014, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I think that's exactly what I'll do. Your XK is lookin great Corey. I'm glad to know the HD springs will work with the RC rear spacer, It will be a lot cheaper than buying any of the JBA springs. Any other mods necessary to get it to work? Extended brake lines(I plan on doing that anyway) or sway bar end links for a 4" lift? Going that route should I get longer shocks geared more towards 4" lift? Also, can you still do the bump stop extension mod with that setup? Sorry for the rapid fire questions.

Matt
01-27-2014, 04:18 AM
Rear brake line extensions are recommended, especially if you're getting longer shocks. Shocks that are in the 28-28.5" extended length range are ideal for maximizing rear travel.

You'll want to trim the gas tank skid so the rear uca doesn't hit.

The oem sway bar links will work but its best to either buy a set of superlift rear links or JKS2001 disconnects.

Bumps stops can & should be put on, especially if you're putting big tires on an plan to offroad.

H53Ecrewchief
01-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Can anyone confirm that these are the correct sway bar end links? Superlift Suspension 55-29-3400 RR SWAYBAR LINK BRKT HUMMER H2

For the OME coils with RC spacer does the extended bump stop mod that others have done work, or do you think the JBA 4" bump stops would work?

Matt
01-27-2014, 10:19 AM
Yes those are the ones I was going to order.

For the bump stop expension the RC spacer actually helps. Throw a 3" body lift block on there and you're set. FYI you'll need spring compressors to get the rear coil springs in.

H53Ecrewchief
01-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Sweet, thanks for all the help. I hope to have some parts on order later today.

Core XK
01-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Awesome I cant wait to see the new mods!! As you can see I let Matt do all of the talking. I have him trained like that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

H53Ecrewchief
01-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Got everything I need to do the rear on order this afternoon. Now I'm excited to get this done but the way the weathers been lately its going to be a while before its warm enough to sit outside and turn a wrench all day. Wheels, tires, and front suspension next to be ordered, I just hope my wife doesn't kill me before I get the chance to get it all finished.

Core XK
01-27-2014, 06:57 PM
What whees/tires did you decide on?

H53Ecrewchief
01-27-2014, 07:06 PM
Going with procomp 7033 wheels, not 100% decided on tires yet. I was thinking I'd try to squeeze 33's. Just came across these http://4wheelonline.com/super-swamper-irok-nd-tires.237989.1538827. 285/70/17 but the spec sheet says 32.8 outer diameter. Thinking they might be a good choice for under 200 per tire and free shipping.

Matt
01-27-2014, 08:24 PM
As you can see I let Matt do all of the talking. I have him trained like that.

Careful there buddy... i got plenty of spray paint left!

Going with procomp 7033 wheels, not 100% decided on tires yet. I was thinking I'd try to squeeze 33's. Just came across these http://4wheelonline.com/super-swamper-irok-nd-tires.237989.1538827. 285/70/17 but the spec sheet says 32.8 outer diameter. Thinking they might be a good choice for under 200 per tire and free shipping.

Those pro-comp wheels are 9" wide with 4.75" backspacing; no chance you'll be able to fit 285/70/17s without cutting out some firewall. If you want to run 9" wide wheels you really need to find something in the 5.5-5.7" backspace range to fit larger tires.

Do you have rear HVAC lines? If not, you might be able to squeak in some 275/70/17s on those wheels

If you really like those wheels, you'd be better off running the 18x9 version that's 5.0" backspace which will give you more tire options in the 275/65/18 size.

H53Ecrewchief
01-27-2014, 11:49 PM
Bummer. I see what you mean after investigating a little more. Whenever I think I understand the whole backspace/offset thing I find out I really don't. It was a long time ago I tried to do the math to see if those wheels would work, I was also figuring a smaller tire size though too. I'm open to other wheel options, originally I wanted rockstars but the wife didn't like them and liked the procomps. I really like the XD addicts, found those in 17x9 with 5.7BS and some Maxxis MTs in 275/70/17 for a good price. I think that should put me right about the same set up as you have Matt if I'm not mistaken just different rim size. I'm not in any real hurry though I guess so I'll keep shopping around before I pull the trigger.

Core XK
01-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Careful there buddy... i got plenty of spray paint left!

Those pro-comp wheels are 9" wide with 4.75" backspacing; no chance you'll be able to fit 285/70/17s without cutting out some firewall. If you want to run 9" wide wheels you really need to find something in the 5.5-5.7" backspace range to fit larger tires.

Do you have rear HVAC lines? If not, you might be able to squeak in some 275/70/17s on those wheels

If you really like those wheels, you'd be better off running the 18x9 version that's 5.0" backspace which will give you more tire options in the 275/65/18 size.

If you run the lift I have 275/7017 or 18 will fit fine without HVAC lines removed as long as you have the pinch weld mld done and spacers/better backspacing.

Core XK
01-28-2014, 10:55 AM
I was thinking of new wheels when I upgrade tires but its either wheels or sliders so that decision is easy. Plus I do like how I can just re-plasti dip my wheels when they get scratched lol

H53Ecrewchief
01-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Do you have the bump stops extended with the new setup your running Corey? If so what size bolt did you need to make it all the way through the RC spacer and the bump stop extension?

Core XK
01-29-2014, 11:11 AM
I dont have them. I ordered them but didnt get all of the parts. I intend to add them this spring or summer. I need to replace my E-brake line and I need new rear brakes so I intend to do it all st once down Matts lol

H53Ecrewchief
01-29-2014, 11:27 AM
Sweet, I'll just run down to the hardware store and figure it out before I do it. Ordering more parts as I type this, can't wait.

Core XK
01-29-2014, 11:32 AM
With my size tire I dont really need them but if I go 33 or 275/70 I want them.

Ross
01-29-2014, 03:03 PM
Here's a link to Matt's write-up which also has the extended bolt size shown:

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?1977-Extended-bump-stops&p=33951&viewfull=1#post33951

H53Ecrewchief
01-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the link, I'm guessing I'll just need 2" longer than that to get through the RC spacer.

Matt
01-29-2014, 05:53 PM
That'd be too long. Probably only a half inch longer..... remember the RC spacer cups around the bump stop bulge.

H53Ecrewchief
01-29-2014, 06:32 PM
Thats true, I'll figure it out when the time comes. Hopefully it warms up soon so I can get some stuff done. I've got everything I should need on order and I'm getting excited. Just not looking forward to that lower strut bolt, it was a beast last time.

H53Ecrewchief
01-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Bought my wheels yesterday afternoon from 4wheelonline.com, had to work until 4am this morning and when I woke up this afternoon they were already sitting on the doorstep. Very happy with my purchase from them and recommend if your looking for wheels.

H53Ecrewchief
01-31-2014, 10:13 AM
The superlift sway bar links came in today and are not quite what I expected.2229Are these the wrong part or does superlift not send the full assembly with the kit? Trying to find the other end online but can't find anything but full end links.

Ross
01-31-2014, 11:06 AM
That's definitely not the full link. I purchased another member's old SL links and they have the bushing on one end, with a uniball on the sway bar end. I'll try and post a pic soon.

H53Ecrewchief
01-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Thanks Ross, I just talked to the guy at superlift, don't bother spending your time trying to get a picture up. I appreciate it though. He basically said they don't list the parts for the full assembly that comes with the kit, just the part number for the partial assembly I got. He's going to look to see if he has the rest of the parts to complete the link and call me back.

Matt
01-31-2014, 08:37 PM
That's stupid.... why would they list the PN for the partial assembly on their site :mad:

H53Ecrewchief
01-31-2014, 10:27 PM
I dunno, doesn't make sense to me. He called back and said that he could send me the rest of the parts but he wanted 160 bucks for the eyelet and jamnut for the other end and the bushings, or 200 for the complete end links. The JKS QD's are only 150 and look way more robust, might just go with those. These things look like stock equivalent at best. The moog replacements I bought for the front look better quality and cost like 20 each. Superlifts part description says hummer H2 so its got me wondering if replacement H2 endlinks would be a fit. I found some H2 replacements for stock or lifted hummer way cheaper. The local parts store has some in stock so I think I'll go there and do some comparisons to see if it might be a fit. If I had QDs I might use them just because I have them, but I don't think I really need them.

H53Ecrewchief
01-31-2014, 10:45 PM
I pulled the roof rack off the jeep tonight so I could pull it into the garage to do some work. It looks so naked!

Matt
02-01-2014, 05:28 AM
I didn't even think of looking at the H2 links.... good call! Let us know how that works out

H53Ecrewchief
02-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Anybody have a recommendation on a set of spring compressors capable of handing the OME springs. I don't trust the rentals and compressing springs makes me a little nervous.

Matt
02-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Are you putting new struts/isolators/mounts on? Honestly the easiest thing to do is have a shop throw the assembly together for you if you don't have access to good spring compressors.

I borrowed a good OTC tool and still had to use my standard compressors on the HD springs... those things were beastly!

H53Ecrewchief
02-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Not yet, I'm still waiting on the front springs, they apparently got held up in shipping due to weather. I was going to take the struts in to be assembled but figured I'd need the compressors anyway to install everything and might as well do it myself.

Matt
02-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Use a lot of grease on the threads of the compressors... it'll help a lot

H53Ecrewchief
02-03-2014, 08:13 PM
If I get the struts assembled, how much will the strut and rear springs need to be compressed to get them in.

07JeepXK
02-04-2014, 12:47 PM
I've never compressed my front or rear springs and never had a problem getting them in. And I'm running rear 4 inch Superlift springs too

Ross
02-04-2014, 02:38 PM
I've never compressed my front or rear springs and never had a problem getting them in. And I'm running rear 4 inch Superlift springs too

Even with the gas tank skid cut, I had to use a spring compressor in the rear to get the SL springs in. I just used a rental from o'rielly.

06JeepXKHEMI
02-04-2014, 02:59 PM

Aaahhh Maybe you forgot when we assembled my front struts/springs?!?!

Matt
02-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Adam probably disconnected the the UCA bolt to drop the axle down further.

I throw the compressors on with my air ratchet to make quick work of it. The rear springs are easy to compress.

Once the front struts are assembled they don't need to be compressed again to be installed unless you have an additional spacer (like the RC) on top.

Ross
02-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Adam probably disconnected the the UCA bolt to drop the axle down further.

I throw the compressors on with my air ratchet to make quick work of it. The rear springs are easy to compress.

Once the front struts are assembled they don't need to be compressed again to be installed unless you have an additional spacer (like the RC) on top.

Funny enough, I disconnected both rear UCA's, didn't really have to compress the springs too much though.

07JeepXK
02-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Yes I always disconnect the drivers side UCA at the axle when I work on the rear. And Andrew we had a different issue with your front coils. The upper strut place wasn't mounted correctly and we had to compress the springs to turn it a hair to line up properly. They are talking about using spring compressors to help get the springs in the XK

06JeepXKHEMI
02-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Oh ok got it! Yea besides that everything went together easy

07JeepXK
02-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Yup always does when you have experience and air tools!

Core XK
02-05-2014, 12:15 PM
Yup always does when you have experience and air tools!

Yeah my recent install with Matt went extremely smooth. I cant imagine it without air tools lol...

07JeepXK
02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
I've done it before. Just takes a lot longer.

H53Ecrewchief
02-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys, pretty much all the parts are in now and I had the struts assembled today. I'm going to try to get the rear done before work tomorrow then get the front done on Friday. I still wont have the tires until saturday.

H53Ecrewchief
02-11-2014, 05:45 PM
As of Sunday my lift redo and tire/wheel swap was complete. It was a pain to get done, especially alone and in the cold, but it was well worth it. Thanks to everyone for your advice, I don't think I could be any happier with the way it turned out. Great call, Matt, on the wheel and tire sizes. Everything fits perfectly and looks great, I love the way it rides, and it really looks lifted now. I had to smile a little bit on my way to work Sunday when I drove past an H3 on the highway and was looking down at it rather than up. I cant wait to see how much better it will do off road. I'll get a few pictures up later this week.

Matt
02-12-2014, 04:16 AM
Glad we could help with everything. ... looking forward to them pictures!! :)

Core XK
02-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Yeah, looking forward to pictures!

H53Ecrewchief
02-13-2014, 10:45 AM

H53Ecrewchief
02-13-2014, 10:47 AM

lekmedm
02-13-2014, 05:18 PM
Nice!

Which rack ya got up there? It looks a bit like Surco. What's the size?

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

Core XK
02-13-2014, 05:29 PM
Looks awesome man!

What wheels are they? and what size tires? I forget lol

stites-xk
02-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Looks great!

pjmjr508
02-19-2014, 11:16 PM
looks great