PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock Relocation Brackets

Matt
11-06-2013, 06:46 AM
I think im going to make this one of my winter projects....

Any of you guys that have been in the rocks know that our rear shock mounts hang too low and LOVE to get hung up on stuff (not to mention take a beating). It looks like there's plenty of supporting weldment to make a bolt-on relocation kit, that could also be welded if desired.

Another benefit would be to decrease the outboard angle of the shocks to reduce stress at the mounting points. The limiting factor here looks like the track bar mount on the driver side... but hell 1/2" will help.

Going to upload a few pics with ideas. Feel free to share other thoughts/ideas.

NOTE: these brackets will likely decrease the "necessary" full extension length by ~3". So for instance i'm running 28.5" fully extended shocks now, i would only need 25.5" with the brackets I have in mind. Not a big deal for budget boosted & OME guys since they could use some longer shocks. For Superlifted guys you're good to go too since the shocks provided are 28-28.5" but other members have found that you can go up to 31-32 with a few minor modifications. (CLIFF NOTES: These would be useful for everyone)

Matt
11-06-2013, 07:16 AM
OK sorry to let you guys down... i'm playing daddy-daycare today (in-laws are on vacation and our youngest isn't in daycare yet..), so no 3D modeling [yet] :p

But these should at least get my idea across and out there for your input. The circles represent bolt locations. The main bolt directly in front of where the shock would mount would be a sturdy 3/8", if not larger since I like to over-kill things. Yellow arrows show the estimated location.... red lines are obviously a crude rendition of the bracket :D

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/11/20131106082339Copy1_zps015f7963-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/11/20131106082339Copy_zps39e00f1a-1.jpg

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/11/20131106082253Copy_zpsb2e0ef44-1.jpg

Matt
11-06-2013, 07:18 AM
And as an example of how it may get modified when i really start playing around with the design, the yellow addition below is something I would add if I felt the need to add a brace to counter-act the moment force; the further the shock is from the axle the more this becomes required. Ideally i'd like the minimum number of bends/welds to keep manufacturing costs down, and delete as much material as possible... but function comes first!

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2013/11/20131106082253Copy_zps67fd79f9-1.jpg

06JeepXKHEMI
11-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Thats not a bad idea, but someone like me who was running no track bar would that help in creating a different design? Lets say on my XK with those shocks would I ultimately get more flex? Cause curious to what this would do besides help clearance on rocks

Matt
11-06-2013, 09:02 AM
Everyone has a track bar. I think you're talking about the sway bar.... which is on the other side of the axle (and i dont have one either).

The main benefit is definitely to help clearance. I've got hung up on that damn shock mount almost every time i've been to Rausch!

Flattening the outboard angle would help a bit with flex, especially as the tire is shoved into the wheel well and that angle increases which puts a lot of stress on the ends of the shocks; i think thats also one of the causes for the Bilstein shock failures that some guys had a few years ago (the ends literally broke off).

Depending on how the design works out, i bet a few mounting locations could be drilled for the shocks to help fine tune for different shock lengths. There's probably enough room for at least 2 mounting points 1" apart...

Matt
11-06-2013, 09:17 AM
And as mentioned in the first post... this mounting location would allow for more down travel. Most people are running 25-26" long shocks with their 2" lifts and the Superlift shocks are 28" long. Both of these cases are needlessly limiting down travel of the axle. Throw a quick brake line extension on and these brackets will allow you to maximize down travel without having to buy new shocks.

Remember a lot of us limit our compression travel with extended bump stops so the tires dont hit our fenders; this is a way to get that travel back by adding it to the down stroke.

06JeepXKHEMI
11-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Got it makes a lot of sense now. And yes I was referring to sway bar, been a long week and month with insurance haha

Core XK
11-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Love the idea considering how much I hit the shock mounts. Id like to see this developed.

I didnt realize your sl springs are red. They look good. I think we should paint the rear OME silver lol and struts/ucas silver

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

thance
11-11-2013, 12:52 PM
This is a great idea! I can't wait to see a prototype.....

Matt
11-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks man. I have a few mods planned for "matts shop" in the two months. Once they're done i'll be much better suited for fabricating/prototyping these things.

Hey if you happen to see a nice plasma cutter for sale on CL, send the ad my way ;)

thance
11-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Who needs a plasma cutter when you have a good cutoff wheel and a sawzall?????

thance
11-13-2013, 02:01 PM
I hate to see what you have to charge for the brackets after factoring this into the cost:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tls/4183046365.html

Matt
11-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Holy crap thats an expensive plasma cutter!!!

Im not planning on manufacturing them to sell. If they work well ill probably make myself another set and send the working prototypes to Jon to see if he wants to produce/sell them.

thance
11-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Snap-on doesn't make them any other way.

07JeepXK
11-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Holy crap thats an expensive plasma cutter!!!

Im not planning on manufacturing them to sell. If they work well ill probably make myself another set and send the working prototypes to Jon to see if he wants to produce/sell them.

And sending Adam a set right!?!?

Core XK
11-14-2013, 05:06 PM

X2

Matt
11-14-2013, 06:40 PM
lmao... you two can fight over the prototype set after Jon's done taking measurements :p

BUT this might be delayed a bit. I had a little chunk of change set aside to help fund my rear bumper and i had somewhat given up hope that I was ever going to get one. So the plan was to use that money to finally get a decent welder and put the rest of it plus some tax return money towards the superlift this spring.

Well as of yesterday it looks like Jon's serious about making bumpers again. If he can promise it's here before Christmas I may have to pull the trigger on that as priority #1 and that'll become my "winter vacation fun project" instead of these brackets.

I'll keep my eye out for a decent (but cheap $$) used welder... otherwise i'll use some of my tax return this spring to get the welder and start this project back up (and push the SL into next fall/winter)

07JeepXK
11-14-2013, 07:32 PM
Hmmmm not cool lol

Matt
11-14-2013, 07:37 PM
Hey it may still happen... lol i'm happy i didn't order the welder last weak. If I find a nice used one before my time off at work during the holidays i'll be really busy in the "shop" :D

Core XK
11-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Does this mean your not selling your lift!

1USMC
11-14-2013, 10:09 PM

^^^^^^^ And Ron ??? ;-) ^^^^^^^

Matt
11-15-2013, 04:22 AM
Does this mean your not selling your lift!

Lol we're still good there dude. Might as well get phase 1 out of the way regardless.

Lmao Ron. Jeez maybe I should just model them and send the drawings to a machine shop. Takes the fun out of prototyping though!

07JeepXK
11-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Whatever helps to get these on my XK I'm all for

Matt
11-15-2013, 02:46 PM
I didn't realize you guys would want them so bad.... it was just another idea i had that i figured i'd have fun with:p.

Well the bumper is officially on order as of today so the welder and shop tools are on hold. So i'll play these by ear; maybe borrow my brother-in-laws welder and use this opportunity to learn how to arc weld...

07JeepXK
11-15-2013, 03:02 PM
It's not that I want them because I need them. For some reason I have never been hung up on my shock brackets. They don't even have a single scratch on them. I want them because I like having a Jeep with parts no one else has!

Matt
11-15-2013, 03:06 PM
10000x agree on the "parts no one else has"... that's half the fun!

Though mine have taken a beating. My stock bolts had to be replaced too, the heads were so chewed up from rocks!

Matt
11-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Ok this might be back on the "immediate" list...

Was helping my buddy flush the trans fluid in his 2500 yesterday and while shooting the breeze we started talking about his pops old shop... then the light-bulb went off... He has a mig welder he bought years ago just sitting there not getting any use. So he's going to bring it over the next time he has a chance :)

I have a feeling this is going to be a fun winter!

06JeepXKHEMI
11-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Ill take some XJ parts if you'd like to fab some up!!!

Matt
11-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Hey you guys have enough available already! lol i gotta make some cool stuff for the XK first :p

06JeepXKHEMI
11-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Yea I know, honestly was just talking about that today with my dad... Looking forward to seeing this develop though, who knows maybe an XK is in my future!!

adud83
11-19-2013, 08:17 AM
I didn't realize you guys would want them so bad.... it was just another idea i had that i figured i'd have fun with:p.

Well the bumper is officially on order as of today so the welder and shop tools are on hold. So i'll play these by ear; maybe borrow my brother-in-laws welder and use this opportunity to learn how to arc weld...

Matt what bumper are you ordering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

07JeepXK
11-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Matt what bumper are you ordering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Steel Armadillo from Jon

Matt
11-19-2013, 09:20 AM
^^^ correct!

Cant wait to get that thing on either :)

Matt
09-10-2014, 05:44 PM
SAL.... did I read in another thread that you wanted another welding project?

I never got around to doing this, and probably won't in the immediate future (busy fall/winter coming up). Give it a go?

Sal-XK
09-10-2014, 06:05 PM
When I get my Jeep I'll take a look. Maybe we can work together on this. Even if you sent me a template (made out of something) I could then easily copy that with steal and fab them up.

Matt
09-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Sounds good man. I can probably fab them up really quick out of wood

Sal-XK
09-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Sounds good man. I can probably fab them up really quick out of wood

That would be good. Anything that I can kinda just copy, you know what I mean make it Sal (idiot) proof. I think our press break only goes up to 3\16. These might have to be made out of 1\4. What do you think? I'm still learning the metallurgy side of it. So when in doubt I just go big metal and stick weld with 7018 rods LOL That way I know it won't fail.

Matt
09-10-2014, 06:37 PM
3/16 is probably plenty for prototypes. Or use 3/16 for the bent bracket that mounts to existing structure and weld on 1/4" for the shock tabs that stick out....

Edit: if i was making these for work.... 5/8" steel plate or bigger... lol

Sal-XK
09-11-2014, 02:48 PM
3/16 is probably plenty for prototypes. Or use 3/16 for the bent bracket that mounts to existing structure and weld on 1/4" for the shock tabs that stick out....

Edit: if i was making these for work.... 5/8" steel plate or bigger... lol

Holy crap 5/8 LOL I was going wheeling a few weeks ago and realized I didn't have a recovery point on my Jeep. So grabbed a 1" plate out of the bin and cut it into a square. Drilled a hole in it and stick welded it on my bumper with a 7018 rod. That entire Jeep could blow up fall down a mountain and that thing will still be their. Once I get my Jeep back these mounts will make more sense to me. I can't visualize how they can bolt on yet instead of welded on.

pjmjr508
09-11-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm watching on how this turns out as I am trying to figure where I want to my new shocks when I install the MOD SL at the end of the month.

Matt
09-11-2014, 07:37 PM
Im feeling pretty good about these brackets :)