PDA

View Full Version : Backup / Reverse camera upgrades or modifications

Matt
11-16-2013, 06:39 AM
So while I'm going to have to relocate my camera regardless (rear tire will be in the way) I was thinking about the possibility of upgrading the camera in the process.

Ideally i'd like to leave the OEM camera where it is, unplug it and use one of these:
TaoTronics TT-CC17 Camera (http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics%C2%AE-TT-CC17-Waterproof-License-Distance/dp/B0092YMZJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384608863&sr=8-1&keywords=license+plate+camera)

.. Just need to figure out how to tie into the existing wiring, assuming it puts out the proper signal.

Anyone look into this yet? And/or any members with more of an electrical background have any advice? I'll have to dig through my service manual to see if I can get an idea of the video type and control for the OEM setup and maybe look at the manufacturer specs for the aftermarket options.

I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet either; i guess no ones had the stock backup camera go bad? It's really expensive compared to aftermarket options.

lekmedm
11-16-2013, 07:45 AM
I was able to adapt an aftermarket camera (Kenwood) into our Subaru. It just needed its own homemade harness with a Molex plug. I'll try to dig up some info. It might help you with some ideas on how to get it to work with the XK.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

Matt
11-16-2013, 07:47 AM
That's exactly what i'm hoping can be done... once I find the harness I was going to probe the wires and see which one is the "activation" supply when in reverse, then the other should be the video feed. I'm not scared of making my own plugs and soldering; just not very experienced in video signals.

Appreciate any help!

hoaxci5
11-16-2013, 08:13 AM
I thought that was all part of the canbus nightmare?

1USMC
11-16-2013, 12:55 PM
You might see if any of "MyGig Lockpick" products could be of interest to you.

They are "plug and play" to our systems and I think they now handle up to three of your own cameras (they sell cameras also).
I have one of their older models to control my front camera that I also got from them. > http://www.coastaletech.com/MYGIG.htm

Matt
11-16-2013, 01:45 PM
I thought that was all part of the canbus nightmare?

Not familiar with this.... the camera isn't wired directly to the head unit is it?

You might see if any of "MyGig Lockpick" products could be of interest to you.

Definitely going to check that out.

The other option, since my CD player doesn't work, is to just tough it out and replace the whole head unit someday with something that's plug & play with other cameras.

Matt
11-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Ok nevermind the lockpick idea... not spending almost $400 get my rearview to work lol. I'll just relocate the camera i have.

Though the cameras they have available look like some of the standard aftermarket ones. Not sure why I couldn't get a similar one and solder on the necessary connectors :confused:

1USMC
11-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Ok nevermind the lockpick idea... not spending almost $400 get my rearview to work lol........ Not sure why I couldn't get a similar one and solder on the new...

I'm with you on the $ part just to get the rearview cam working better! The big Lock pick module is for using all the nav and video functions from the front while driving. The camera part is not its main function. But.. I was thinking (like you) that I can see no reason at this time why you could not use an aftermarket camera like theirs and splice into your OEM wiring. Lockpicks wiring harness use standard RCA connectors and I doubt if they "adjust" the output signal before it gets to our screen.

They are not open on weekends, but they have always answered my questions in the past (especially if they think you are buying a camera from them). I have have left a message with them for their tech dept.

Hopefully, If I'm not working out of the area next week they will reply and I will let you know what they say.

Matt
11-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Thanks man!

hoaxci5
11-16-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure on the signal part of things, but I was trying to trigger my rear view to come on with a switch and couldn't do it. Ultimately decided it was triggered on by canbus. There are only two wires on the back of the nav unit that run back to the camera though.

Matt
11-16-2013, 03:09 PM
If i'm just trying to tap into my existing wiring and not change how it functions, i shouldn't have that issue.... right? I just have to figure out which one is the trigger

hoaxci5
11-16-2013, 03:12 PM
I don't know if you can change the camera, but from what I remember it wasn't a problem to extend the wires to move the stock camera.

Matt
11-16-2013, 03:15 PM
From the pictures in this thread, http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8902, it looks like there are 4 wires; two for power (pos/neut) and two for the video....

I may get a camera like this and give it a shot:

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

hoaxci5
11-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Do you want to borrow one? I've got one in the shed I loan you :p Pretty sure it's exactly the one you linked.

Matt
11-16-2013, 03:22 PM
You were trying to get one to work as a second camera, right?

hoaxci5
11-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Correct, I ended up just adding a second monitor. I wanted to be able to see out the back when loaded up for a camping trip.

lekmedm
11-16-2013, 03:57 PM
Here is a link to basically what I did in our Subaru:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2943792&postcount=21

I bet if you can track down the schematics, you can come up with a similar solution. I'm very interested in what you come up with. :cool:

Matt
11-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks Mark!

I have the schematics in my service manual so I should be good there :)

lekmedm
11-16-2013, 04:06 PM
It's kind of a funny story with the Subaru. We have an '06 Outback XT with factory navigation. The back-up camera was never an option for the Outback in that model year, and yet everything was wired and ready for a camera. Some dude was sharp enough to recognize the plug in the back of the nav screen and figure out the pins. The homemade harness was easy enough to make, so plugging in an RCA jack makes the connection universal. Then you just need power and ground, and you're done!

Matt
11-16-2013, 04:14 PM
I was just checking that out.... it's similar to what i was planning on doing just wasn't sure how i was going to handle the video feed since they're not easy splice/solder connections. I'll have to check out the back of the head unit to see if there's a similar plug and just run a new cable back.

1USMC
11-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Matt,
Coastal Technologies Electronics , (long title to type) tech did get back to me about using aftermarket cameras with factory systems and if an interface would be needed.
He thinks that they most probably would Not work with a factory system without some sort of interface.
It would depend if the system is analog, digital, compression algorithm, etc etc etc.

He also noted that they do not sell cameras any more and only Lockpic and interfaces.

So I started wondering if he was perhaps slightly bias and perhaps just trying to sell one of their product?

I have also came across notes like this in the past >

Adding a Camera to a Car

If your vehicle already has a factory navigation system with a screen, you can integrate an aftermarket camera with that system instead of installing a separate LCD on the dash.
These OEM interfaces are very specific to vehicles and head units, so it's best to consult those companies' Web sites to confirm compatibility with your vehicle.

Most aftermarket cameras have standard composite video output via universal RCA plugs that connect to virtually any aftermarket display.

So… I contacted a couple of other retailers I have interfaced with.>

Pac-audio Tech said it would most probably work and you could splice one of their cameras into our system.
http://pac-audio.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=34

Nav Tv was the most helpful, knowledgeable and even looked up our exact video feed systems in MyGIG.>
http://www.navtv.com/index.php They knew all this

MyGIG models

RER / REW / REP

REU / REX / RE1

REN / REZ

RBZ

"To date, three different versions of the MyGIG radio have been released in North America, models RER (with navigation), REN/RBZ (without navigation, and with or without Satellite radio) and REU (with navigation and remote display screen). Model REU is currently available only in the all-new 2009 Dodge Journey. MyGIG radios use two different Bus systems, high speed and low speed. Vehicles designed for a high-speed electrical bus will not work on a vehicle with a low-speed bus, and vice versa. Credit to WKJeeps. "

Nav Tv feels confident that our composite system is compatible with other composite cameras.
He noted that there is a newer "Uconnect' radio out, (not a MyGIG with Uconnect features) that use a different type video format.

Most say you can carefully solder the connection, some don’t recommend it. I have seen different “how to” and videos on U Tube.

Nav’s camera’s seemed a little higher priced than most , but I would recommend them over the others for tech questions.

Matt
11-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Ron.... you-are-the-man :)