PDA

View Full Version : Installing OME HD Springs - DIY? Which shocks?

GPintheMitten
11-23-2013, 09:53 AM
I picked up 07Jeep Xks used OME HD rear springs. I'll also get some 2 inch bump stop extensions and need new shocks.

Right now I have a 2 inch spacer lift. The front spacer is steel but the rear is a polyurethane with no cracks or deformation. I dont do much off roading. I tow various trailers at times with various weights - 500 to 6000 pounds depending on which trailer and the load. So I think the HD Springs will help.

So advise me please.
First off, I should remove the rear spacer, right?

Whats involved in replacing the springs and shocks? Can i do this with minimal tools at home? I have usual homeowner air tools and wrenches and sockets and will get a floor jack.

What would be a reasonable rear shock for my described use? I think I may benefit by an adjustable shock like the Rancho RS9000XL.

Ive read all I can from you guys on this stuff but could use some specific advice. Thanks!

07JeepXK
11-23-2013, 03:30 PM
I did the swap with basic air tools and a floor jack. It's really not the hard to do. I think it took about 45 min but I've had my jeep apart so many times it's second nature now. How tall is that rear poly spacer? Back when I had the BDS lift years ago their rear spacer was approx. an inch an a half tall so when you install the lift the XK sits level. If your rear poly spacer is an inch and a half then the rear of your XK will sit a little higher with the OME springs. Also with the OME HD springs you won't get sagging in the rear while towing due to the higher spring rate. I would remove the poly spacer.

As for the bump stop spacers use 2 inch tall by 3 inch wide performance accessories body lift spacers. They work perfect. I get mine from the local off road shop. You can find them on summit racing I believe and they are cheap.

As for the shocks, anything two inches longer than stock will work fine.

Matt
11-23-2013, 03:53 PM
I'll have a more detailed response when I get home tonight. .. but cliff notes:
- what adam said
- we put the 9000xl's on the back of Coreys. They're a good option!

GPintheMitten
11-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys.

Matt
11-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Ok it's been a long day and I have a few drinks in me... so please excuse my pending spelling/grammar errors :p

Replacing the rear springs/shocks is relatively easy. Disconnect the shocks first and install the new ones last since you want the axle to drop as much as possible to help facilitate the spring install.

Disconnect the sway bar, and it doesn't hurt to take the calipers off too (just so you're not stretching the lines too much).

The passenger side is easy.... You should be able to sneak the OME spring in without much trouble once the axle is at full drop.

For the driver side.... if you didn't trim the gas tank skid, now's a really good time. The upper radius arm will hit the skid and limit flex, which makes it hard to get the spring in. You have a few options:
1: use spring compressors
2: disconnect the upper arm (a bit of a pita)
3: trim the skid (i recommend this since it adds capability as well and takes less time

For the shocks you'll want to order Rancho P/N RS999286. Get a bunch of 7/16" washers as well for spacing the upper mount.

If you get stuck or need help... post up or PM me. Pretty sure i have a combination of OCD and AADHD and these forums are one of my outlets, so im never far from offering a helping hand :)

GPintheMitten
11-24-2013, 05:48 AM
Thanks Matt.

07JeepXK
11-24-2013, 07:25 AM
I always disconnect the rear track bar from the axle end, but that's because I have an adjustable track bar and fine tune it to the lift I'm installing.

Also it makes the install so much easier to remove the bolt from the drivers side upper control arm where it connect to the axle if for some reason you don't have access to a spring compressor. I think it's so much easier to just remove that bolt then have to mess around with the spring compressors. Takes 10 seconds to remove that bolt with air tools.

Matt mentioned disconnecting the sway bar. I think he was referring to the sway bar end links. I have quick disconnect which makes it easy but all you would have to do it take the bolt out of the upper end of the end link where it connects to the jeep

GPintheMitten
11-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Hmmm. I think this will become clear after I crawl under the Jeep. Thanks.

Anybody recommend a good place to get the Rancho shocks? Or just order locally?

Matt
11-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Amazon.
Or throw the part number in google and hit the shopping tab; a quick way to find the best price

And yeah once you get under there and look it'll make sense :)

lekmedm
11-24-2013, 12:44 PM
A thought crossed my mind when reading this thread. Many who put on OME lifts end up trimming the gas tank skid. Well, the SL lift uses brackets to adjust the geometry of the track bar. I think that with other lifts it is worthwhile to get an adjustable track bar. Attached is a picture of the clearance I have between the drive shaft and skid.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

GPintheMitten
11-24-2013, 01:43 PM
A thought crossed my mind when reading this thread. Many who put on OME lifts end up trimming the gas tank skid. Well, the SL lift uses brackets to adjust the geometry of the track bar. I think that with other lifts it is worthwhile to get an adjustable track bar. Attached is a picture of the clearance I have between the drive shaft and skid.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

Ok..I'll look at the clearance when I do it. Thanks.