PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent starting issues

RyanD
12-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Guys,

Many of you gave me input 2 weeks ago when my Jeep suddenly wouldn't start, requiring a tow to the shop. They extracted 2 codes related to "poor fob performance/communication" and thus, ordered, cut and programmed a new key. It worked great until this morning, when I drove to the gas station, was stopped for a bit, and it would no longer start. Same song and dance as before. Once click, no start. Not panicking this time, I disconnected the battery for about 5 minutes, and voila, fired up. Drove directly home, cut the engine, waited a few minutes and tried again. No dice.

To cut a long story short, I've got a new gremlin, and I can absolutely reproduce it. If I disconnect the battery for a few minutes, I get one start out of it, then nothing. I did some more research and it looks like the possibilities are a wireless module or ignition switch. In thinking about other gremlins I have, I do have a pretty good dash light flicker that sometimes causes the headlights to flicker. This somehow points to ignition switch, right? I'm not sure what to do next, because I really don't feel like dropping another ~400-500 bucks at the shop so quickly after getting it back. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan

Matt
12-01-2013, 03:53 PM
I would definitely try an ignition switch before going any further... not an expensive part an relatively easy to replace.

Im pretty sure someone on jeepcommander.com posted some step by step instructions; ill try to find the thread tonight when I get home.

RyanD
12-01-2013, 05:08 PM
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23233

I picked up a Duralast from Autozone. I know it isn't Mopar OEM, but I'm in a pinch unless I want to take the bus to work tomorrow (which I may still have to). Going out to install it now.

RyanD
12-01-2013, 06:59 PM
The switch was not the cure, it still starts intermittently. Now I cannot even reproduce it. It may or may not start after a battery disconnect. I am probably going to have it towed tomorrow. 2nd time in 3 weeks...luckily I was able to get it home today and am not stranded. Sucks!

Matt
12-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Damn man sorry you're having these issues.....

Not sure what your situation is like... but if you don't have to have it towed tomorrow i'd take a look at the connections at the starter. They're known to corrode and cause starting issues. If there's corrosion there, taking them off and cleaning them up might solve your problem.

RyanD
12-01-2013, 07:15 PM
It must have known that I was looking at fun stuff for it and decided to throw a curveball. Rookie question, but isn't the starter located in a real PITA location thats hard to get to? I had it replaced last year at the same shop that did the work for the key. So frustrating. Thanks for all the support!

Matt
12-01-2013, 07:19 PM
lol yeah it's a bit of a PITA above the front driveshaft.

If it was replaced last year maybe it was mis-diagnosed and the wiring is the issue?? I've gotten XK's to start just by grabbing the harness and shaking it around; breaks enough corrosion free to get a good connection. Could be your starter was replaced but the harness was really the issue... and just the movement of the harness made it work for the past year.

RyanD
12-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Of course, electrical is NOT my strong suit. You shook the harness from the top or got under it and shook it?

The_War_Wagon
12-01-2013, 07:29 PM
I hope this ain't something to look forward to - my warranty expires in 79 miles... but the payments DON'T! :eek:

Matt
12-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Shook the harness as close to the starter as i could reach. The corrosion is caused by water getting near the starter so the closer you can get to it, the better.

RyanD
12-01-2013, 07:34 PM
OK, back out with a flashlight and no clue I go!

RyanD
12-01-2013, 07:47 PM
OK, back out with a flashlight and no clue I go!

Gave it a good shake and nothing. Blah. Could it possibly be alternator? I know it has at least 60K on it.

07JeepXK
12-02-2013, 03:50 AM
Have you ever tried jumping the Jeep with another vehicle when you are having the issue with it not starting? If so and it starts up I would think the alternator could be part of the problem. Maybe it's not charging the battery?? Just trying to help out, honestly don't know what the issue could be

Matt
12-02-2013, 04:14 AM
Check all the ground wires to makes sure they're connected and tight and that the battery terminals are clean.

RyanD
12-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. Towed it to the shop, turned out to be the starter. I asked them to check the wiring, they said they did and the connections/grounds were in good shape. Luckily it was covered under the parts warranty from the original job. Probably be tomorrow before I get it back.

RyanD
12-02-2013, 01:53 PM
So, it leads me to another question. When I installed my CB, I put a ground strap from the hood mount to the existing set of grounds near the battery on the body. I used 12ga wire and appropriate connectors. Can that be a culprit? Be gentle, electricity is my weakest field of expertise. :)

Matt
12-02-2013, 04:30 PM
You're in the clear bud... adding a ground wire wont cause your starter to go bad.

RyanD
12-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Got it back, confirmed with the shop they use rebuilt starters. Figure I'll get 15 months out of this one as well then. Luckily the tow was covered and so was the starter. Starts great now!