PDA

View Full Version : Ever swap injectors?(4.7)

paroxysym
12-26-2013, 08:19 PM
So as I continue to get a damn misfire on cylinder 2 on my 4.7 I'm troubleshooting the hell out of it, and I'm considering it to possibly be an injector OR a lifter. The facts:

-changed all my plugs 1k ago with OEM champions and then the misfire occurred
-swapped my coil packs from cylinder 3 to 2 and the misfire stayed with cylinder 2
-swapped the plug from cylinder 4 to cylinder 2 and misfire still occurred on cylinder 2
-the previous was just as bad as the other 7 so now reason to believe it's an injector yet
-Seafoamed through the brake booster line twice mass amounts of carbon dispersed and still have a misfire
-Seafoam in the tank with premium fuel helped alittle but the misfire came back

It's real apparent and happens when she's in OD and her RPMs are under 1800 and she's lugging it. If I knock it down to 5th gear she smoothes out and runs normal. But in OD lugging it she gets alittle rough and jumpy. Thoughts on this? I'd hate to get rid of her over this as it's really pissing me off. She has a misfire over the summer on cylinder 1 but I solved that with a couple seafoam treatments.

07JeepXK
12-27-2013, 04:17 AM
Swap injectors and see if the misfire moves to that cylinder

paroxysym
12-27-2013, 05:50 AM
know of a write up to do so? i take it that its not as easy as swapping a coil pack..

Matt
12-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Swapping injectors isn't very hard... but the whole fuel rail needs to be lifted out. There's not much in the way, just the intake and vacuum hoses. You also need to relieve fuel pressure before doing this.

The link in this post has a service manual download- you can use it for a step-by-step R&R:
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showpost.php?p=269194&postcount=39

paroxysym
12-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Compression test in the AM. Now in the event the injectors bad, would you replace just the one or would it make sense to replace them all?

07JeepXK
12-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Well considering I'm sure they aren't cheap, and like everyone says if it's not broke don't fix it I personally would just replace the one if that's the issue. But if your pockets are deep or you have a money tree in your back yard then he'll replace them all lol

paroxysym
12-28-2013, 03:37 PM
Well took it in for the compression test- cylinder 2 had a miss and was the oddball out. So they swapped the injector from #2 to #1, the miss followed to cylinder 1. Ordered a new injector and replaced it, all to the tune of $250. Not that happy about paying that much but she's running fine, I'll know for sure if she's really ok as I'll have her in OD more driving to and from work. But right now she has a new injector, clean fuel rail and a fuel system loaded with ALOT of mopar fuel system cleaner that they used at the shop.

Matt
12-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Sounds like that was your issue. Hope its all fixed up man!

07JeepXK
12-29-2013, 04:51 AM
Glad you figured it out!

paroxysym
12-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys! So far so good, I just feel like when she hits OD she going to throw a code... Guess I'm just paranoid. I will say my mechanic recommended running premium in the 4.7 or some cleaner in a lower grade gas- so just a heads up to those with the motor. Looks like I'll be throwing the 91 tune back on her next tank.

lekmedm
12-30-2013, 07:48 AM
I will say my mechanic recommended running premium in the 4.7 or some cleaner in a lower grade gas- so just a heads up to those with the motor. Looks like I'll be throwing the 91 tune back on her next tank.

I could never understand this thinking. Octane has absolutely nothing to do with the additives a petroleum company gives to its fuels. Fuels are of different octanes to work with the compression of a particular engine. This is directly related to the fuel's volatility. On the compression stroke, you increase pressure on the fuel, and, therefore, increase its temperature. In a high compression engine, this could lead to pre-ignition of the fuel (catches fire before complete piston compression and firing of spark plug). That results in "engine knock." This is why there are higher octane fuels, because they are less volatile and resist pre-ignition (detonation).

Save your money on the 91 octane, and just buy a couple of cans of fuel system cleaner for a couple of tanks. I've always heard great things about Techron, but try whatever you think is best. I've tried various cleaners and can't say I feel any difference between them, but maybe I've just never had a fuel system issue for the additives to make any difference.

Good luck.

Matt
12-30-2013, 07:58 AM
Is the mechanic on the "older" side?

This was before my time as i'm a relative youngin... so someone else who lived through this era please correct me if the following is wrong....(Edit: yes this is 2nd hand information that I have not personally verified.)

My understanding from talking to some of the more seasoned engineers at work is that gasoline companies used to "up-sell" their premium grades by putting special additive packages in it, and not including those additives in the lower grade fuels. So at one point there was some logic behind running premium in your engine to help "clean" things out.

Since then however, regulations have been passed that require a minimum amount of additives be included in every fuel grade (i'd have to google to figure out what regulation). So you're still getting the additives now and there's no reason to run premium for this feature anymore.

With that said... some companies still try to up-sell their premium fuels saying they have more or newer additives. Considering how money hungry oil companies are, I'm skeptical that ANY grade of fuel has anything more than the minimum additives required.

lekmedm
12-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Considering how money hungry oil companies are, I'm skeptical that ANY grade of fuel has anything more than the minimum additives required.

I agree with the youngin'! :cool:

07JeepXK
12-30-2013, 08:43 AM
My 4.7 liter seems to run better on the 91 octane especially with the 91 octane tune on the flashpaq. If I don't run that tune the transmission shifts weird due to the fat meats I'm Rollin on

paroxysym
12-30-2013, 10:03 AM
My 4.7 liter seems to run better on the 91 octane especially with the 91 octane tune on the flashpaq. If I don't run that tune the transmission shifts weird due to the fat meats I'm Rollin on

same here... she shifts so much crisper and runs so much smoother on the 91 tune with 91 in the tank.

yes my mechanic is a bit on the older side.

lekmedm
12-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Running a higher octane with a tune and feeling a difference in performance is different from running high octane to "clean out" your fuel system.

Just make your choices based on the right reasons. :)

07JeepXK
12-30-2013, 03:03 PM
That is true.

06JeepXKHEMI
12-30-2013, 06:55 PM
I would have to agree with most of this but I think age of the also plays into it. My 240s run better, better mpgs and smoother idles with premium fuels, especially from racetrac. The HEMI XK was also sensitive to the fuel brand I ran in it, Sunoco was best I tried. I would have to believe this is based on what/how much additives are being used. I've never heard of using higher octane to "clean" the system but have heard of using name brand fuels rather than your eco fuels. I'm also I big fan of Techron, my family has used it in all their vehicles

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk