PDA

View Full Version : Clunk & Popping sound

pjmjr508
01-05-2014, 10:09 PM
I have been dealing with trying to resolve a clunking/popping sound I have been having & it sounds like it is in the front suspension. I will get the sound when I take off at a dead stop or when I go to apply the brakes. I swear I can feel it clunk on the drivers side floor board.

I'm sure it's not the brakes because I had the clunk/popping sound before did all that work & after I got done with the last alignment after all the work I did not hear the noise. Then about a week or so later it was back.

Unsure if it the steering rack. I can sit in one place & go lock to lock & not have a sound.

What I have done to try and fix or resolve the issue so far is;
Replaced the BJ's upper & lower both sides
Added the JBA UCA's @ the sametime as the OME, 6 months ago.
Have the OME HD Front struts & springs are less than a yr old
replaced the LCA's 2012
replaced the inter & outer tie rod ends

Everything is tight

Your thoughts.

Matt
01-06-2014, 04:11 AM
How are the front diff bushings?

Make sure your subframe and skid plate bolts are all tight.

stites-xk
01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Have you checked your front sway bar links. Mine were clucking really bad. Took them off and no clunking.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

07JeepXK
01-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Back in the day I had the same issue your having. Mine turned out to be the drivers side inner tie rod. Once replaced the noise went away. But you said you replaced yours. Hmmmm

lekmedm
01-06-2014, 06:32 PM

On FB he said they've all been replaced.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

pjmjr508
01-07-2014, 01:17 AM
Yes I forgot to mention I had replaced the front diff bushings.
I will be putting it on jack stands tomorrow for a few days. During this time will be pulling the front & rear sway bars along the links for 2 reasons. First to see if it was making the noises & second to see how well it drives without them.
also will be pulling the rotors to have them turned and replacing the front & rear pads.
Unfortunately it will sit on jack stands for close to a week. The brakes I ordered are coming from 2 warehouses. One in So Ca & the other is in KS. Nothing is moving out of there right now. I ordered the Yellow Stuff EBC Pads.
http://ebcbrakes.com/product/yellowstuff-high-friction-truck-sport-brake-pads/
Already have the dimpled & slotted rotors.
http://ebcbrakes.com/product/3gd-sport-rotors/
They work really well for stopping this big beast. Last time I used the greenstuff, this time going with the yellow to see which I like best.
Also while it is in the air I will be able to go over the undercarriage and the suspension.

Am I safe to think since I can turn the wheel lock to lock and back without any noises, that it is not the rack that is making the noises?

07JeepXK
01-07-2014, 05:38 AM
I wouldn't have "throw away" rotors turned. Rotors aren't made like they were back in the day. Just buy new ones as they are meant for one time use.

pjmjr508
01-07-2014, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't have "throw away" rotors turned. Rotors aren't made like they were back in the day. Just buy new ones as they are meant for one time use.

This is what on their site about turning them
"EBC recommends highly the Pro Cut on car brake lathes at your disc."

07JeepXK
01-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Wait you already have EBC slotted and dimpled rotors? I must have missed that. I was referring to cheap rotors you buy from a local auto parts store.

pjmjr508
01-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Yes, I put them on when I went to the EBC pads, if I remember right late 2012.

Matt
01-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Am I safe to think since I can turn the wheel lock to lock and back without any noises, that it is not the rack that is making the noises?

That's probably a safe bet... try turning lock to lock while it's in drive and you're holding the brakes.

Core XK
01-07-2014, 05:17 PM

Make sure your subframe and skid plate bolts are all tight.

LOL My suspension skid was making a clunking for weeks and I had no idea WTF it was......

pjmjr508
01-07-2014, 08:45 PM
That's probably a safe bet... try turning lock to lock while it's in drive and you're holding the brakes.

Glad to hear that, really didn't want to have to replace the rack as well.

pjmjr508
01-07-2014, 08:51 PM
LOL My suspension skid was making a clunking for weeks and I had no idea WTF it was......

Don't think it is that but I will check while I am under it.

I went to bring it in the garage to get started & had to let out the air in the tires just to get it to clear after I took the spare off the roof.
The wife asked me "Is all the hassle really worth it? YES!!!!!!!!!!!! She just shook her head & went back in the house.
She is not to happy to have to bring me back & forth to work for the next week until it is back on road again.

pjmjr508
02-17-2014, 07:53 PM
well got the yellow stuff pads on it all the way around along with resurfaced EBC rotors plus swaybars are removed and on the road around the end of jan. Still have the clunk sound drivers side front. I hear a knocking sound from time to time in the rear, but I feel that is poss the 2 1/2" spacers from matt I have on the rear springs.

So I will update this once I get closer to knowing the clunk sound is.

07JeepXK
02-17-2014, 07:59 PM
I had no clunking from matts spacers I had installed in the rear

pjmjr508
02-17-2014, 08:08 PM
I had no clunking from matts spacers I had installed in the rear

Mine in setup like this from the top down;
Spacer, Rubber Spring isolator, Spring, Rubber Spring isolator, Spacer. this is why I hear a noise from the back suspension

Matt
02-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Thats how I had mine setup and didnt have any clunking. As long as you put the chamfered side away from the spring theres no reason it would make any noise.

pjmjr508
02-17-2014, 11:20 PM
Thats how I had mine setup and didnt have any clunking. As long as you put the chamfered side away from the spring theres no reason it would make any noise.

Will have to take another look when light out & not pissing rain. If I remember right the tape side was down (away from the spring)

07JeepXK
02-18-2014, 06:59 AM
That's the correct way to install them so your clunking in the rear is coming from something else. Those springs have the weight of the jeep on them so won't clunk if you have the rubber isolators above and below the spring

Matt
02-18-2014, 11:33 AM
The side with the tape adheres to the isolator. The opposite side (no tape) has a chamfer on the inner diameter to cup around the radius of the perch/body mount. If you have the tape on the perch/body its upside down and wont sit flush.

07JeepXK
02-19-2014, 07:39 AM
What Matt said about the tape. When I said they were installed correctly I was referring to the rubber isolators being in between the springs and matts spacers

pjmjr508
02-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Thank you both, I will have to look to confirm.
raining alot here & it will not fit in the garage & moving in less than 2 weeks.