PDA

View Full Version : Big Bummer re: front skid install

RyanD
02-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Guys,

Not looking for help, just a place to vent. Bought JBA UCAs and on a whim, added the front skid to my order. Everything came yesterday, and I had a free hour, so I figured I'd toss the front skid on no problem.

Unfortunately, once I had the airdam off, I noticed the brackets didn't line up like they should. They were longer one the passenger side, and shorter on the driver side. It looks like that front U-shaped piece in my jeep (engine cradle?) was bent worse than thought in its last accident. I haven't even contacted Marlin yet, but I'm hoping he'll take it back and give me credit towards something else.

Are any of you guys running the SA skid? If so, how does it mount to the vehicle? I'm guessing if anything is bent like that I don't have any real options for skids.

Just flat sucks.

Ryan

Matt
02-22-2014, 04:33 PM
That sucks man... how far off is it? Can't modify it at all?

Pretty sure Jon's front end was messed up pretty good in an accident too- so if his skids work on his hopefully they'll be good on yours. I'm sure he'll chime in

RyanD
02-22-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks Matt. On the driver's side its off by at least an inch. Passenger side I could drill/thread new holes. Gonna shoot Jon a note here soon.

I did get one good thing done today, though. I got the backup camera all hooked up to the mygig and mounted under the 3rd brake light. Looks great and the addition of a backup camera is huge for me.

RyanD
02-23-2014, 08:49 AM
So, sleeping on it, I'm wondering if it would be OK/Safe to take it all to a shop and have them fab up an extension on one side, and tap/mount the bracket on the other side. The holes all line up so that the plate will mount correctly, its just a matter of what it's bolted to. Thoughts?

Matt
02-23-2014, 07:24 PM
Would need to see some pictures but that definitely sounds like an option.

RyanD
02-23-2014, 07:45 PM
I'll snap a few this week if I get a free minute to tear it all apart again :)

LWM
02-24-2014, 06:42 AM
The Steel Armadillo skid attaches to the radiator support and the cross bar behind the motor. My radiator support was pushed back 1" in an accident (and off roading) but the skid still works great. Just needed to drill additional mounting holes for the front attachment points.

06JeepXKHEMI
02-24-2014, 06:45 AM
Ive pulled radiator supports back by strapping it to a tree with a good chain/recovery line and reversing slowly. Its cheaper than having a shop do it just kind of dangerous hahaha

RyanD
02-24-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the assistance! Got a call into Marlin about it, depending on how it goes I may be placing an order at SA. Should have listened to Matt the entire time :)

thance
02-24-2014, 11:11 AM
Are we talking about the Radiator support or the engine cradle???????? If it's the radiator support I suppose you can work around it or possibly even try to bend it back as suggested above, but if it's the engine cradle aren't there much bigger issues at stake than mounting a skid?????

RyanD
02-24-2014, 01:19 PM
It's the radiator support, up front, right above the air dam.

Not going to try bending it back...waiting on what Marlin says before I act on anything.