PDA

View Full Version : Fastman install - how difficult IS it?

The_War_Wagon
02-26-2014, 05:23 PM
I have a line on a NiB Fastman 68.5mm throttle body for my 287. Is installation "rocket surgery," or is it 'shadetree' do-able (not that trees will be shading around HERE anytime SOON...)?

Is it a simple bolt-on, or are there other parts & pieces required, beyond the throttlebody itself? Thanks!

07JeepXK
02-26-2014, 08:32 PM
Easy bolt on. Nothing to it at all.

The_War_Wagon
03-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Easy bolt on. Nothing to it at all.

I had a mechanic tell me today, that only the Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealer can install it, because you've got to flash the ECU or some such, and Superchips won't cut it! :eek:

Is this true, or an old mechanic's tale?

07JeepXK
03-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Well considering I've had my TB off to clean it in the past and bolted it right back on without any issues I would have to say it's an old mechanics tale.

Matt
03-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I had a mechanic tell me today, that only the Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge dealer can install it, because you've got to flash the ECU or some such, and Superchips won't cut it! :eek:

Is this true, or an old mechanic's tale?

I'd call it a "bad mechanics tale". It's bolt on and doesn't require programming. The FSM doesn't even mention ECU programming.

The_War_Wagon
03-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Well considering I've had my TB off to clean it in the past and bolted it right back on without any issues I would have to say it's an old mechanics tale.

I'd call it a "bad mechanics tale". It's bolt on and doesn't require programming. The FSM doesn't even mention ECU programming.

Ok... whew! I was afraid I'd suddenly bitten off more than I could chew! :eek:

06JeepXKHEMI
03-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Yea, to be safe I always removed negative cable from battery. I do this really any time Im working on the car unless needed otherwise...

The_War_Wagon
03-15-2014, 05:49 AM
OK - the throttlebody has arrived, so here's my NEXT question. Intake spacers: horsepower hokum, or the REAL deal?

I've read opinions pro & con, but I figure while I'm at it, now's the time to put one on... if it's WORTH it.

07JeepXK
03-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Just my .02
They are garbage! Don't waste your money

The_War_Wagon
03-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Just my .02
They are garbage! Don't waste your money

I just got the same advice about my RC on RC.net - seems they don't do anything for MPFI engines. So "NO" it is!