PDA

View Full Version : Well, that's it for me...

Adondo
02-28-2014, 09:59 AM
I couldn't help myself. I just bought a very decked out 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in the color "dune." Or, as the guys here at work call it: "Baby vomit." (Obviously, they're just jealous :) ) It's heated leather seats (Saddle brown) and power windows and everything else, navigation system, automatic headlights, etc. etc. besides all the Rubicon stuff like Dana 44's at both ends, push button locking axles, (Both) 4:1 crawler transfer case, and push button sway bar disconnect.

I can say the sway bar thing will be worth its weight in gold because I broke a bolt in the XK's bar once. It was NICE off road. After that, if we were heading in for days of off-roading, I'd unbolt one side and bungie the loose end. It was a PITA, but it's nice for trails. You have to be sitting perfect or have a buddy rock the Jeep to get the bind off the bolt, but it does work.

Couple of other cool features are hill decent and hill assist. Even with the paddle shift (What I call it anyway) automatic, (Very much like the XK's) it'll hold a hill for a few seconds until the throttle is applied. No more two-foot gas/brake peddles on steep stuff. The hill decent thing is push a button, and the speed automatically follows the gear selection: 1st limits to 1 MPH, 2nd is 2 MPH, etc. The computer handles what it takes to keep the speed held. The paddle shifter is a bit different than the XK in that while stopped, you can select 1 or 2 on the display. If it's showing 2, then it starts out in 2nd instead of 1st, like when on glare ice or the like when you want low starting torque. Other than that, it's just like the XK with the + and - flipping.

Traded in both the Chrysler 300 and XK for it. Payment wise and with the insurance drop etc. (Loosing a vehicle) it works out to less heading out the door a month despite buying a $43,860 Jeep. (God! What have I done?!?)

WHY?!?

We bought a new Rubi here at work. (Two door) There's a helluva lotta changes in the new ones. My last test drive was 5 years ago when they still had that one-option gas sucking gutless 3.8 V6. The dash is redesigned, no more leg cramming. They're super quiet, more quiet riding than my Chrysler 300 in fact. They've come a long way, baby. The 3.6L Pentistar according to Car & Driver knocks about 8 seconds off the paltry 0-60 time over the older ones. The Unlimited is 7.8 seconds zero to 60. (Not that I've done that yet) Coming back from the dealer, starting out at only 11 miles on the clock, it was getting 19 MPG.

I'll lurk here on the forums, so I'm not abandoning it quite yet. I may even go to Silverton this year, maybe.

thance
02-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Congratulations! Back in 09 when I testdrove an unlimited they were way to clunky and noisy for me, for a daily driver. Maybe it is time for another drive...... but I plan on keeping the '10 xk for a bit longer. I had a Bronce previosely for 14 years, so when I like something I am slow to move on.

Enjoy the new Jeep!

lekmedm
02-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Good for you! I have no desire (or means) to get into car payments any time soon. I'll be holding on to the XK until she gives up the ghost, but I think the next one will be a JKU (or who knows what when Fiat gets through with it!).

Enjoy!

Ross
02-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Sad to hear you lost the XK, but you sure did it right with the Rubicon! Down the road, my next vehicle will definitely have to have a SFA. I love the old CJ Scramblers and LJ's.

Core XK
02-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Congrats on the Rubicon. It seems like this forum is turning into a last man standing! Lol I know I will be a contender. I still love the WTF looks I get in the XK :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Adondo
02-28-2014, 02:30 PM
It's not like I haven't enjoyed the crap out of the XK, but let's face it, 8 years in the world of electronics and vehicles puts the XK into the Jurassic age.

5 years and 3 months ago when I test drove the Unlimited(s) (tried two of 'em) there were three main deal killers:

A) That 3.8L engine. Crappy mileage AND gutless. 0 to 60 was just under 14 seconds for crying out loud. I could (maybe) live with that if it got 25 MPG.
B) The intrusive dashboard. Maybe for a normal human, but I'm the same size as William The Refrigerator Perry. Knee cram was an understatement.
C) A subsonic "whoomping" at freeway speeds. I don't know if it was flexing of the hardtop or what, but that always seems to come up in 2010 and before Unlimited reviews.

There's something to be said about a 73:1 crawl ratio. That's 0.5 MPH in 1st! I thought the almost 3:1 X-fer case in the XK was low.

07JeepXK
02-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Corey I'm never getting rid of the XK so you have some competition. Oh and I'm buying another one if I can find a 2010 Hemi in white!

Matt
02-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Wont be too long before this is the big-MAC forum (Matt Adam Corey).... my XKs paid off with 60k miles on it; im digging my heels in and not going anywhere for a while!

Adondo- congrats on the new rig. And thank you for being one of the few XK pioneers. Always enjoyed following your mods and adventures :)

LWM
03-01-2014, 06:20 AM
You are still welcome at The Ultimate Jeep Summit in Colorado this June!

lekmedm
03-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Wont be too long before this is the big-MAC forum (Matt Adam Corey).... my XKs paid off with 60k miles on it; im digging my heels in and not going anywhere for a while!

Waaaaah.... Matt forgot about me!:'(

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

Matt
03-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Lol sorry Mark I couldn't think of an acronym with another M.... unless I studder... the big-M'MAC lol

The_War_Wagon
03-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Congrats on a new Jeep. I still have small kids, so I can't trade DOWN in size yet. In fact, I hope that resurrected GRAND WAGONEER comes to fruition - I'm gonna hafta go UP in size eventually, and it sure ain't gonna be a Suburban!!! :rolleyes:

Core XK
03-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Yeah I know after 8 years there are some nice new upgrades in different vehicles but thats why you keep the XK and just upgrade the wifes car every few years! Lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Lt_JWS
03-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Congrats on the new jeep, your xk will be missed!