PDA

View Full Version : Diff Whine

BonesWK
03-19-2014, 05:44 AM
So my Jeep seems to have a Whine at about 60 mph under load, but also coasting... Im thinking I need to get my Diffs looked at.

After looking on JF, it looks like I may have a bad Ring and Pinion but I need to take it to someone who knows what the heck is going on... Anybody have experience with a Diff whine?

This feels expensive...

The_War_Wagon
03-19-2014, 06:13 AM
Anybody have experience with a Diff whine?

ONLY with a '79 Bronco. Damn thing had just 13 teeth left on a 39 tooth ring gear, but she was still rolling when I drove it into the shop! :eek:

Look on the bright side - if it's going bad, now's the PERFECT time to go to those 5.13's, in anticipation of your 9" lift & 40" M/T's! :cool:

BonesWK
03-19-2014, 06:20 AM
LOL yeah right.. The more I search the more I am thinking Pinion Bearing.

Guess my tax return wont be going to a superchips after all...

06JeepXKHEMI
03-19-2014, 07:35 AM
When was it last serviced?? Probably pinion bearing, grab your rear drive shaft and see if you have any play horizontally or vertically

BonesWK
03-19-2014, 08:07 AM
When was it last serviced?? Probably pinion bearing, grab your rear drive shaft and see if you have any play horizontally or vertically

maybe 20k ago? Its due I know...

I will check for play today. I have a buddy that is offering to help with the repair so thats good. Where in the world can I buy the Pinion Bearing for a QDII - dealer only?

07JeepXK
03-19-2014, 09:11 AM
I'd say it's a bearing, not the actual ring and pinion

BonesWK
03-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Talked to a friend, he said usually when the bearing goes out, fluid would be leaking... is that always the case? I dont think I have fluid leaking from either front or rear pumpkin

Gulf550
03-19-2014, 10:46 AM
I recently purchased a junk yard QDII FRONT axle assembly. I purchased an overhaul kit from yukon gear. Everything came out really well. Not sure if you can purchase individual bearings and races from them but it's worth a shot to ask them.

BonesWK
03-19-2014, 11:07 AM
I recently purchased a junk yard QDII FRONT axle assembly. I purchased an overhaul kit from yukon gear. Everything came out really well. Not sure if you can purchase individual bearings and races from them but it's worth a shot to ask them.

Thanks dude! I think an overhaul kit is what I need anyways. I will look them up.

I looked some online but everything I was seeing other places after I put in my vehicle info was showing D44 stuff.

Edit - I think I found the info I needed

Chrysler 8.25" '05 & up. This version of the 8.25" uses metric ring gear bolts. The C213R is an open differential. The C213RE has a factory electronic locker.

http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=11056