PDA

View Full Version : What lines are these?

brand0n
03-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Earlier today, the wife decided to see what would happen if she slammed the driver's side rear tire into a 2ft tall rock, well the rock won. Bent rim and hole in sidewall of tire. No problem, wife is fine and it's only tire/rim, but I just went outside and noticed this. Are these the notorious transmission lines? Sorry for the crap cell phone pic, Im trying to study some more for an exam tomorrow but this is bugging me.
This pic is taken from right underneath the grill.
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2014/03/photo1-1.jpg (http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/brand0nXK/media/photo1.jpg.html)

The_War_Wagon
03-31-2014, 04:29 AM
Sure looks like them! The crappy fittings are the giveaway. :rolleyes:

Unless you're going to switch to AN fittings, you might as well let 'em weep. Your friendly overpriced neighborhood Jeep dealer will simply put the exact same crappy fittings on there, and you'll just start leaking all over again. Your best bet, is to find a dedicated 4WD shop, if you can't replace 'em yourself.

BTW - EVERY Jeep Commander has leaky transmission lines; it was a standard factory option, like, "muffler" and "steering wheel"... :eek:

brand0n
03-31-2014, 06:21 AM
Sure looks like them! The crappy fittings are the giveaway. :rolleyes:

Unless you're going to switch to AN fittings, you might as well let 'em weep. Your friendly overpriced neighborhood Jeep dealer will simply put the exact same crappy fittings on there, and you'll just start leaking all over again. Your best bet, is to find a dedicated 4WD shop, if you can't replace 'em yourself.

BTW - EVERY Jeep Commander has leaky transmission lines; it was a standard factory option, like, "muffler" and "steering wheel"... :eek:
Thank you

Matt
03-31-2014, 06:38 AM
Those arent the trans lines..... pretty sure they're the hydraulic cooling fan lines

brand0n
03-31-2014, 06:44 AM
https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2014/03/u9uvuje6-1.jpg

The_War_Wagon
03-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Which engine do you have?

07JeepXK
03-31-2014, 09:18 AM
Matt I have those same lines and pretty sure my 4.7 doesn't have hydralic cooling . I'd have to look at my jeep to see where mine go. I can't remember

Matt
03-31-2014, 09:24 AM
Matt I have those same lines and pretty sure my 4.7 doesn't have hydralic cooling . I'd have to look at my jeep to see where mine go. I can't remember

The hydraulic fan is run off the power steering system, its the next step in the loop from these lines. So for clutch fan setups these are just power steering lines that loop back to the pump.

brand0n
03-31-2014, 09:32 AM
5.7L. Sorry guys, I can't do a thorough look at right now.

07JeepXK
03-31-2014, 12:08 PM
The hydraulic fan is run off the power steering system, its the next step in the loop from these lines. So for clutch fan setups these are just power steering lines that loop back to the pump.

Yeah my jeep doesn't have a hydraulic fan like the 5.7 does. I have a clutch fan. Those lines go to the power steering pump and steering rack on my jeep

The_War_Wagon
04-01-2014, 05:14 AM
Yeah my jeep doesn't have a hydraulic fan like the 5.7 does. I have a clutch fan. Those lines go to the power steering pump and steering rack on my jeep

Yep - those were new to me! :eek: