PDA

View Full Version : Performance Chip

Core XK
04-28-2014, 06:47 PM
Is a performance chip of good quality worth installing? For better mpg torque hp etc.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The_War_Wagon
04-28-2014, 09:53 PM
I looked at a Jet chip for my Ramcharger, and was told it was basically junk - the ECU is "the thing," and I ended up getting the MOPAR Performance ECU for it, so I can run a hotter cam eventually.

For MPG, I'd stay with a Superchips Flashpak. Over here in Pittsburgh - where I hit stop signs every 5' here in the South Hills :rolleyes: - I find driving with the tow/haul underdrive engaged, works best if I'm driving > 45mph. Helps the Commander get out of its own way!

07JeepXK
04-29-2014, 02:16 AM
My jeep shifts so much better with the flashpaq due to the bigger tires. The tune helped out also. Better throttle response and gave it a little more power. I could notice the difference

hoaxci5
04-29-2014, 07:08 AM
I had a flashpaq and loved it for the shifting difference. I never got better mileage on any of the tunes though. It did allow you to correct the speedo for tire size which was nice also. Overall I'd buy it again, but don't expect to save any money on gas..

Core XK
04-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Yeah I am not really concerned with MPG as much. I mean...I bought a HEMI, lifted it, tires, and a roof rack. I have no problem paying for gas if I love what I drive. Anyway, it seems like the Flashpaq has the best overall reviews from you guys and others online. I am more so looking for throttle response, shifting, and tire adjustment. Is it worth buying these new? or is used just as good if I can find one? I'd like to get one later this year. I decided to only go 275/70/17 MTR's on the next tire switch just because I want the rear AC/Heat for kids (Which is going to be tried for in 3 months).

Adam, are the 275/70/17 a huge visual difference from 245/75/17? Because I am most concerned about that lol And I am sick of a skinny tire.

hoaxci5
04-29-2014, 09:50 AM
The only thing you get from buying it new is a higher price tag, and that it is guaranteed not to be vehicle locked. If you buy a used one and it's still locked to the old vehicle you will have to pay $100 to superchips to unlock it. I sold mine (accidentally) still locked and contacted superchips and they unlocked it for free though, because I had flashed it back to stock but apparently the tire size wasn't changed back or something simple that they could see I tried at least... So I guess if you buy a new one make sure it's more than $100 off new price, or be very sure who you are buying it from returned their jeep to stock.

06JeepXKHEMI
04-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Id actually suggest the Diablo InTune cause thats what I used on my XK and have it on my Ram now, its night and day difference on both vehicles. Ive got better mpgs and much better performance, but I feel it cause I drive that way!!! When I drove from NY on stock tune all highway I was avg 14.8, on my last trip to Darlington for the race I got 17.9 doing the same speeds, so thats quite the bump for my truck. The XK was only 1.5-2 mpgs but the throttle boaster and performance was a big difference. It had a lot of adjustable parameters that I liked as well.. either way definitely worth the moneysssss

07JeepXK
04-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Yeah I am not really concerned with MPG as much. I mean...I bought a HEMI, lifted it, tires, and a roof rack. I have no problem paying for gas if I love what I drive. Anyway, it seems like the Flashpaq has the best overall reviews from you guys and others online. I am more so looking for throttle response, shifting, and tire adjustment. Is it worth buying these new? or is used just as good if I can find one? I'd like to get one later this year. I decided to only go 275/70/17 MTR's on the next tire switch just because I want the rear AC/Heat for kids (Which is going to be tried for in 3 months).

Adam, are the 275/70/17 a huge visual difference from 245/75/17? Because I am most concerned about that lol And I am sick of a skinny tire.

We'll it's definitely a wider tire and taller at the same time. It will look good if you get the MT/R trust me

Core XK
04-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Yeah I am looking forward to getting them. Id like to get them sooner then later. I am sick of these skinny tires lol

07JeepXK
04-30-2014, 06:08 PM
Yeah I am looking forward to getting them. Id like to get them sooner then later. I am sick of these skinny tires lol

So get a Goodyear card and get them!

Core XK
05-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Goodyear card? Lol Better be interest free.

07JeepXK
05-02-2014, 02:30 AM
It's interest free for the first 6 months.

Core XK
05-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Ehh 6 months isnt too long. What other percs? I can get a 2 year interest free credit card. That goodyear card rate probably jumps to 15-20% after the 6 months lol

07JeepXK
05-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Ehh 6 months isnt too long. What other percs? I can get a 2 year interest free credit card. That goodyear card rate probably jumps to 15-20% after the 6 months lol

Yeah it does jump up after the 6 months. I'll have my tires paid off while it's still 0%. I got a rebate on the purchase of all 4 tires. If I remember correctly it was $120 also I get free balance and rotations.

Core XK
05-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Not bad. It may be my selling point to the wife!

07JeepXK
05-02-2014, 07:06 PM
Wife? Did you get married already?

Matt
05-03-2014, 05:00 AM
Corey you planning on getting new wheels too or sticking with the stockers?

FYI check out the Cooper ST Maxx tires. Not sure why these aren't more popular... looks like a great "all around" tread design and a nice priced tires. I'm thinking of getting these for my next set and going a bit bigger than my current tires :D

https://theultimatejeep.com/notfound.png

https://theultimatejeep.com/images/imported/2014/05/IMG_6180-1.jpg

Matt
05-03-2014, 05:03 AM
Actually looks like they're about the same price as the MTRs (~250)... I thought they were more.

Core XK
05-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Actually looks like they're about the same price as the MTRs (~250)... I thought they were more.

They are definitely nice but if they are the same price as MTR I will go MTR. No, I am sticking with stock wheels for now. I plan to peel off the plasti-dip and re-dip them this fall. My idea is to get my sliders and do 30k maintenance after the wedding. That total cost will be around $700-$800. I then plan to get a 0% APR 1 year new credit card with my other credit union to convince the wife to let me get 275/70/17 MTR's :) I could probably still sell my DuraTracs for like $200-300. They still have atleast 50% or more life I would say.

Core XK
05-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Wife? Did you get married already?

No, it is still a month 1/2 away lol but it's easier to say it now.