PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking rear end

lekmedm
05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
So I've been having this high-pitched squeaking coming from the Jeep's rear, and it's driving me nuts! It's been going on since roughly last Fall, but it gave me a break over the winter when it kind of stopped. Now it's back. It also goes away in wet weather like we've had this week in NJ. I thought that it could be associated with the new control arms I have since the SuperLift was installed last year, but I just ran across a TSB concerning rear squeaking. It says to replace the upper spring isolators. I have my doubts that the dealership will do it since the suspension has been modified. Isolators are not expensive either. So, what do y'all think? I guess they should be easy enough to replace. Should I just go ahead and replace all 4? Go with OEM, Moog, Raybestos, or what...?

Matt
05-09-2014, 11:38 AM
Get a can of silicone spray. When you hear the squeaking, go spray down all 4 of the spring isolators and see if the noise goes away after a few miles of driving. If the noise doesn't go away, spray the UCA bushings and go for a drive. Repeat process, spraying one component at a time until you isolate what's actually making the noise.

07JeepXK
05-09-2014, 04:47 PM
My rear end squeaks too lol

Gulf550
05-10-2014, 05:55 AM
I was in the same boat as you. Mine were induced from my upper control arms. After installing the upper control arms, I couldn't stand the squeaking. I ended up unmounting them and packed them full of grease. So far so good no squeaks.

lekmedm
05-20-2014, 06:02 AM
I think Jedi Master Matt did it again...!!! He said he read that the Superlift read sway bar end links may squeak. Well, yesterday I had a chance to have a look. The bottom mount has what I can only describe as a kind of misalignment joint. It looked a tad bit corroded. So I tried my best to shoot some lithium grease in and around there. This morning's commute seemed pretty quiet. I will keep on observing and report back.

lekmedm
05-20-2014, 06:26 PM
Here is the offending (squeaky) endlink, slathered in grease.2281

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Matt
05-21-2014, 03:24 AM
Wonder if you could thread a better/greasable joint on there for a permanent fix

lekmedm
05-21-2014, 05:25 AM
Wonder if you could thread a better/greasable joint on there for a permanent fix

Good question. Do you know of any options? If not, and this continues to be a nuisance, a set of JKS may be in my future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Matt
05-21-2014, 06:00 AM
I'll sell you mine. Only had them on for a few months...took the sway bar off to clean up and replace bushings but never put it back on.

lekmedm
05-21-2014, 01:41 PM
I was in the same boat as you. Mine were induced from my upper control arms. After installing the upper control arms, I couldn't stand the squeaking. I ended up unmounting them and packed them full of grease. So far so good no squeaks.

Are you running the SL swaybar endlinks?

(BTW, how's that front drive shaft?)

I'll sell you mine. Only had them on for a few months...took the sway bar off to clean up and replace bushings but never put it back on.

I just may take you up on that. We'll have to talk.