PDA

View Full Version : rear swaybar issue- at a loss

paroxysym
05-20-2014, 01:28 PM
so ive been fitting a knocking sound in the passenger rear of my WK. i have pinpointed it to the rear swaybar but im at a loss as to what the hell to do about it. heres what i have done so far, keep in mind im running a rear addco:

- originally ran the addco with stock links, swapped to bwoody links and was fine and dandy for awhile. then the bwoodys got noisy and i ditched them
- ran the addco with omix-ada links and they were horrible. i could NOT torque them down enough to keep the in place and quiet, so i removed them and the knocking stopped
- ziptied the swaybar to the LCAs and there was no knocking only a clanking sound when the swaybar hit the swaybar after braeking a ziptie
- redid the whole rear suspension and found some OEM links for free and connected everything and torqued everything down as tight as i could, no problems. went as far as checking the shocks, and untightening and retorqueing the actual swaybar brackets)

which brings me to know- theyre knocking again. its like i cannot torque the body mounted bolt on the link enough. the bottom is torqued to as much as i can and its fine. but the top bolt either i cant tighten enough or i do tighten it as much as i can and a mile or so down the road and a turn or two later its knocking when i hit a bump/make a turn/etc.

im at the point where i want to ditch the whole swaybar, but she rides and handles so great with it connected. ive even contemplated grabbing a SRT one and selling the addco thinking its the issue.

thoughts? solutions? im calling bwoody today and see how much just a set of rear links will be. somethings got to give

Matt
05-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Whats interesting to me is that you seem to pinpoint the issue being the link to body connection which shouldn't make a difference which sway bar you have.

Do you still have your stock rear sway bar? If so, id measure the thickness of the bars where the link bolts to and the diameter of the mounting holes. You can get decent digital calipers from home depot, lowes, etc for ~$15

06JeepXKHEMI
05-21-2014, 07:25 AM
I had a similar problem with my rear sway bar and removed it completely. I was running the OME HD and noticed very little difference though. Try adding some tape around the bolt head and threads like Matt is headed to suggesting

paroxysym
05-21-2014, 08:25 AM
had the gf rock it back and forth or try to at least while i was underneath....

the driverside energy bushing has some play in it- i can move the swaybar up and down prob less than an 1/8", but still enough play to make some noise. the passenger side link where it connects to the swaybar is actually knocking around, so i suppose i need to retorque that as well. waiting to hear back from kolak on some new bushings, im hoping SRT8 bushings work on the addco so i dont have to grease them and the rubber bushings are supposedly quieter. that should eliminate any noise after all that... god willing. cause in about 3 weeks any jeep projects are going on the back burner when the kid gets here