PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Over Temp

BonesWK
07-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Anyone have or had this issue?

The message came on about 2 months ago, went away after a couple of seconds and drove fine. Today it came on on the way home, and after slowing down from Highway speed, and drive down my neighborhood street, I could tell it was shifting funny. After 2 minutes of driving at neighborhood speed the message went completely away. Did the key dance at home after shutting the jeep off, of course no code comes up.

Battery is less than 2 years old - not sure about the starter, probably never changed (114k). Other forums are saying its related to the starter or battery?

Anyone have a write up as to how to change the starter, or change the temp sensors? I would try that for sure to try to save time and money having someone diagnose a light that comes on intermittently.

I really don't need this issue now, since I KNOW my jeep will need some TLC soon since all front end parts are still original besides sway bar bushings. I even contemplated selling the thing... I cant put another tranny in this thing (already has a used one in it from 2010)

Matt
07-07-2014, 07:20 PM
Hows the fluid look??

BonesWK
07-08-2014, 06:08 AM
Fluid is fine, no leaks no smell. Lots of posts online talk about sensors or even the starter?
But after a quick search here brought up this thread - http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?1949-Transmission-over-temp-warning/page4

seems my 06 4.7 might have a recall for PCM... but I dont know how to find that out. Or is that the same recall as the n23 issue?

06JeepXKHEMI
07-08-2014, 06:42 AM
I had it pop up on mine when I had it, also check your sensor harness

BonesWK
07-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Where is the sensor harness?

Seems that recall was only for XK's with 4.7... dumb since my WK is basically the same rig. I think I may look at PCMs online or at pick and pulls if the message persists. Its definitely electrical I think.

06JeepXKHEMI
07-08-2014, 12:21 PM
I had the shop who installed the starter clean all connections and check for corrosion and I never had an issue after that.. I did sell it not but a month later soo and it was intermittent