PDA

View Full Version : XK 6" lift options

sodakjeep
07-07-2014, 07:10 PM
I am aware of three options:

Crawl Offroad - 6" Modified Superlift $2,700 ($3,650 with optional Icon coilovers)

JeepinByAl - Upgrade Superlift Kit 6" coilover $4,515 (need 4" Superlift already on vehicle so ~$6,515 total)

Homebrew 6" Frankenlift ~$2,000 Superlift with additional parts separately $???.

Are there any others?

My questions are, what's everyone with 6" kits running? I am leaning towards the Crawl Offroad kit right now as I can't justify the expense of the JBA kit although I do know his stuff is quality. On the Crawl Offroad kit is it worth the Extra $1,000 for the Icon coilovers? Lastly, I'd like to do it right, is a Homebrew Frankenlift feasible/reliable/doable/safe/recommended? All comments appreciated!

Matt
07-07-2014, 07:34 PM
That JBA kit is just way overpriced, but regardless you'll want the JBA UCA's.

The Crawl kit doesn't make sense to me... it deletes the front spacer and uses 5100s + OME HD springs, but that limits down travel quite a bit.... actually has less down travel than stock (by not extending the overall length of the strut and lowering the control arm via the subframe, the hub moves upwards). Regardless of what you do, if the overall extended length of the strut is not close to 4" longer than stock, you're limiting travel.

I'm for home brew.

sodakjeep
07-07-2014, 08:23 PM
That JBA kit is just way overpriced, but regardless you'll want the JBA UCA's.

The Crawl kit doesn't make sense to me... it deletes the front spacer and uses 5100s + OME HD springs, but that limits down travel quite a bit.... actually has less down travel than stock (by not extending the overall length of the strut and lowering the control arm via the subframe, the hub moves upwards). Regardless of what you do, if the overall extended length of the strut is not close to 4" longer than stock, you're limiting travel.

I'm for home brew.

It's an honor to have your reply Matt, you are an authority on here it seems from all the lurking I've done;) Does your assessment of the Crawl Offroad kit stay the same even with the addition of their coilover option? Also, what would you suggest for homebrew additions on top of the 4" Superlift, done the right way, in order to net 6"? It is my plan to run 315/70/R17.

Core XK
07-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Matt has learned most of his information from me so I will go ahead and take credit for that reply. Thank you! Now Matt, please answer this very kind gentlemens question.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Matt
07-07-2014, 08:39 PM
lol nicely played Corey :p

The Icon upgrade uses the superlift spacer... which is OK... but if im putting coilovers on my rig i'm going to have them built to the proper length (usually a minor upgrade charge) and not use any spacers).

The best way to get 6" incorporates the 5100 struts (stock or OME springs depending on other accessories), but they have been backordered for a while now....

I believe at least one member here is running the 5100s at their lowest setting with OME MD springs and it came out quite nice. Will have to try to find that build.

sodakjeep
07-07-2014, 08:47 PM
lol nicely played Corey :p

The Icon upgrade uses the superlift spacer... which is OK... but if im putting coilovers on my rig i'm going to have them built to the proper length (usually a minor upgrade charge) and not use any spacers).

The best way to get 6" incorporates the 5100 struts (stock or OME springs depending on other accessories), but they have been backordered for a while now....

I believe at least one member here is running the 5100s at their lowest setting with OME MD springs and it came out quite nice. Will have to try to find that build.

That would be great Matt, so after the Superlift I'd want the 5100's and OME HD or MD 2" springs and I'd be set? Anything else or beneficial to add right away? I'd probably add some JBA UCA's as well after the advise of this great forum.

Matt
07-08-2014, 04:01 AM
The OME HD springs will put you up too high and you'll have to cut some of the spring off.

How soon are you looking to lift? Are you doing the work yourself or are you at the whim of a shop for r&r?

The good thing about coilovers is you can tweak the ride height exactly where you want them. You may want to try contacting KING, they recently made coilovers for the Nitro WK build. Last time I talked to them they were $1700 for custom length (they'd just need to know how long to make them).

You'll definitely want JBA control arms up front. For the rear you can get 6" springs or add a spacer to the superlift springs. You'll also need adjustable UCAs (at a minimum) to help correct the pinion angle.

sodakjeep
07-08-2014, 06:38 AM
The OME HD springs will put you up too high and you'll have to cut some of the spring off.

How soon are you looking to lift? Are you doing the work yourself or are you at the whim of a shop for r&r?

The good thing about coilovers is you can tweak the ride height exactly where you want them. You may want to try contacting KING, they recently made coilovers for the Nitro WK build. Last time I talked to them they were $1700 for custom length (they'd just need to know how long to make them).

You'll definitely want JBA control arms up front. For the rear you can get 6" springs or add a spacer to the superlift springs. You'll also need adjustable UCAs (at a minimum) to help correct the pinion angle.

Ok that makes sense, I anticipate lifting before winter. I'd like to find a reputable shop to install the actual Superlift portion and then any remaining parts I think I could install myself. What else would I want for suspension or steering upgrades along with the JBA control arms?

Matt
07-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Based on that, if the 5100 struts are available in time I'd have the shop install them on their lowest setting with stock springs (leave out the superift coilspring preload spacer) and JBA UCA's. Let things settle and build off of that. For the front there isn't much more you'll need to do except add lift via different springs or moving the 5100 spring perch. For the rear you can add lift via new coils or add spacers, you'll want adjustable upper arms, better shocks and MAYBE an adjustable track bar (once the superlift is on you can measure to see if you'll need a track bar for 6" or not... some need it, some dont)

lekmedm
07-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Carolina Driveline front drive shaft.