PDA

View Full Version : New Posts!

LWM
08-23-2010, 02:07 PM
I have found and changed the settings that will now store all messages since your last visit as "New Posts".

This should help you not too miss anything since your last visit. I have set this to store posts for 30 days before considering them as read unless you either read them or select the "Mark Forums Read" button in Forums Actions.

WanderingTs
08-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Awesome! Glad to see this change.

07JeepXK
08-27-2010, 06:08 AM
Awsome. This site is getting better and better everyday!

LWM
08-27-2010, 11:00 AM
Awesome! Glad to see this change.

Awsome. This site is getting better and better everyday!

That is my goal!

WanderingTs
10-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Anything new in the works?

LWM
10-17-2010, 10:59 PM
Anything new in the works?

Added the new skins and just received the forum decals on Friday. More on that soon!

Sal-XK
10-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Added the new skins and just received the forum decals on Friday. More on that soon!

Oh boy you know how I like me some stickers man.

IamJEEP
04-30-2011, 05:11 PM

Matt
05-11-2011, 09:17 AM
If they sign up don't forget to warn them about the little "new post" issue here. This is the only forum that I've been on that hides threads after you view them until a new post is made. Its a pain sometimes when I decide I want to go back and respond to that thread I read earlier, but its not there so you either have to search for it or click "mark all forums read" and then it'll show your the previous 24 hours.

LWM
05-11-2011, 10:24 AM
If they sign up don't forget to warn them about the little "new post" issue here. This is the only forum that I've been on that hides threads after you view them until a new post is made. Its a pain sometimes when I decide I want to go back and respond to that thread I read earlier, but its not there so you either have to search for it or click "mark all forums read" and then it'll show your the previous 24 hours.

Not sure what you mean, do I need to change a set up somewhere?

When I log on I always choose "What's New?" so I am not sure what you are looking at or trying to see.

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Not sure what you mean, do I need to change a set up somewhere?

When I log on I always choose "What's New?" so I am not sure what you are looking at or trying to see.

When you hit whats new it only shows you threads with new posts in it that you haven't read yet. On other forums it puts all the new post in chronalogical order whether or not you have read it. The ones with new posts are bold and the ones you read are lighter. Does that help

Matt
05-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Exactly what sal said.

LWM
05-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Okay, I moved this part of our discussion to this thread...

I need your help so I can fix this.

When I log on I am taken to the main "Home" page and then I can select between Forum, Blogs, What's New & Subscriptions.

I normally click "What's New" which does exactly what it indicates, it shows me what is new and ONLY what is new.

If I select "Forum" I get the liniar forum with all the threads in the order I set them up when I set up the forum.

How do you enter and what do you see that is different from the other forums you use? It looks like all the forums I use so I am confused but I want to understand so I can fix it.

Matt
05-11-2011, 11:26 AM
When I click either (they both do the same thing for me) What's New or New Posts I get a linear listing of all forum threads that have been recently posted in. If I click one of those threads to read it, and then click What's New or New Posts again, that thread is no longer there.

In other words, I only see threads that I have not read.

Other forums show you all active threads. Usually, the ones you have read are normal font and ones that have new posts since the last time you read it are bold font.

Sal-XK
05-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Exactly what Matt said.

NeilSmith
05-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Exactly what Matt said.

yep. thats what I do and am just fine with it that way.

LWM
05-11-2011, 02:37 PM
At the bottom of the main forum page is this table:

Icon Legend
Contains unread forum posts
Contains no unread forum posts
Forum is a category
Forum is a Link

It shows that threads with a new post have a blue field where others do not, If you click that section it lets you select the threads with new posts if you so desire.

Matt
05-11-2011, 03:30 PM
We're talking about how the threads show up when you click "new posts". I never (or very rarely) go into a single forum at a time to browse... i just click "new posts" to see what's active. There is where, if i read a thread, it disappears.

LWM
05-11-2011, 04:03 PM
We're talking about how the threads show up when you click "new posts". I never (or very rarely) go into a single forum at a time to browse... i just click "new posts" to see what's active. There is where, if i read a thread, it disappears.

Okay, Maybe that is something with this version of software as I do not see a feature to show posts already read when you click NEW posts.

Matt
05-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Here's another forum im on that's using the same software and it works. Maybe it's just a different revision?

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/

hoaxci5
05-11-2011, 05:03 PM
4.0.8 there vs 4.0.6 here, however by the looks of it one of the sites I'm on is still using 3.8.5 so I'm not sure it's a versioning issue.

LWM
05-12-2011, 07:12 PM
4.0.8 there vs 4.0.6 here, however by the looks of it one of the sites I'm on is still using 3.8.5 so I'm not sure it's a versioning issue.

As of today we are 4.1.3 here.

I am having a hard time grasping the difference, I might have to get one of you on the land line so I can fix the issue.

Matt
05-13-2011, 05:07 AM
I made some screen shots of whats going on and compared it to another forum.

I'll run you through what they are:

Pic 1: Home screen
Pic 2: Clicked "Whats New", shows "new threads". You'll see i take note that the next 3 threads are "Switch Panel--IamJeep Style", "New member in northwest NC" and "Computer Security software".
Pic 3: Clicked "Switch Panel---IamJeep Style
Pic 4: Clicked "Whats New" again. You'll notice that the thread i just read is now gone. The other two remain. There are now also 8 threads returned in the search of "whats new".
Pic 5: Clicked "New member in northwest NC"
Pic 6: Clicked "Whats New" again. The thread i just read has disappeared, only the Computer Security software thread remains and we're down to 7 results.

The above happens regardless if i click "Whats New" or "New Posts".

For comparison, the next 3 pics show how other forums handle this.

Pic 7: Clicked "Whats New". I'm going to click the thread with the arrow pointed to it. Take note that all of the threads are in BOLD font.
Pic 8: I clicked that thread.
Pic 9: I clicked "Whats New" again. The thread did not disappear... it is still in the results list. BUT, it's no longer BOLD which means I have read it. The other non-bold threads are new results that I have not read. If someone replies to that thread, it will turn BOLD again.

Matt
05-13-2011, 05:09 AM
The rest of the pics:

LWM
05-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Okay, I got ya (I am a little slow), Let me see how to program that!

LWM
08-11-2011, 04:00 PM

I think I found the setting for this today and fixed it, please try it out and let me know! Thanks.

hoaxci5
08-11-2011, 04:02 PM
This thread still disappeared after I read that post Knappster.

LWM
08-11-2011, 04:05 PM
This thread still disappeared after I read that post Knappster.

Okay, I will keep working on it. It has too be one of htemany buttons, I just cannot figure out which one.