PDA

View Full Version : Problems after lift

XKLover
09-08-2014, 12:02 PM
OK took the Commander into the shop today to see if my mechanic had any ideas what was making the noise. He was kinda busy so sent me to another buddy who has a suspension/alignment shop. He put it on the lift and shook the hell out of it and came to the conclusion the noise is not in the suspension, but coming from the drivetrain more specifically the transfer case. Took it back to my buddy's shop he put it on the lift. He didn't think the angles on the transfer case were that bad and shouldn't be the problem. My half shafts have some extreme angle on them though and he thinks that is the problem. I can't afford to throw money at it until it is fixed. The wife is already pissed about me putting money into lifting it and now I need to put more money in to get it right. any help is appreciated.

Matt
09-08-2014, 12:28 PM
What type of noise/issue are you having? Those angles aren't severe enough to "suddenly" be causing an issue.

XKLover
09-08-2014, 01:51 PM
well right after the lift there was a steady clicking, vibration noise indicating to me it was the CV joint. I ordered new half shafts and have them sitting in the garage because I wasn't able to get that lower bolt out of the strut fork. Yesterday there was loud popping and wheel jumping almost like something was trying to break and come through the floor boards. I knew something was seriously wrong at this point and that's why I took it to the shop. I guess in the back of my head I still think it's those half shafts just needing replaced, but with the added doubts from talking to people today I am concerned it's not the problem.

Matt
09-10-2014, 03:18 AM
When does it make the noise? All the time, when driving straight, when turning, when hitting bumps, when on the accelerator, etc?

GPintheMitten
09-18-2014, 06:10 AM
2 things come to mind.

1. Did you get an alignment after the lift? That's extremely important.

2. Is it possible that this Jeep was already lifted? It has happened that a second owner put a 2 inch lift on when it already had a 2 inch lift.