PDA

View Full Version : 4.7 exhust manifold leaking

johnr
09-13-2014, 06:09 AM
I have developed a leak in the rear pass side manifold and from what I have read it seems to be a common that the bolt heads break off. anyone hear done this repair and how much of a PIA is it? should I replace with a new manifold or reuse the old one

Sal-XK
09-13-2014, 09:34 AM
You should just replace the manifold since it's coming off anyway. Read the thread linked below might just be worth getting the parts and finding a local shop to do the work. Getting any snapped studs or bolts out can be a giant PITA.

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?2180-Exhaust-Manifold-Leak&highlight=exhaust+manifold (http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?2180-Exhaust-Manifold-Leak&highlight=exhaust+manifold)

johnr
09-13-2014, 01:42 PM
thanks for the link. im getting and estimate from a guy I work withs son, he is a mopar dealership mechanic who dose work on the side, hope he has time to get it in. we where suppose to head up to Silver Lake MI next month to run the dunes and some forest trials.

07JeepXK
09-14-2014, 05:58 AM
I've had the same issue with my 4.7 liter. The first time I replaced just the gasket and all the bolts. A few years later it happened again and I replaced the manifold and gasket with all bolts. The rear bolts that hold on the manifold are known to snap off. They had issues with the manifolds warping causing the bolts to snap. I'd recommend replacing the manifold. It's a little bit of work can be done with basic tools. It helps to take off the tire and plastic inner fender well to gain access to some of the bolts.

johnr
09-19-2014, 06:12 PM
well my mopar connection fell thru, seemed he saw one come thru the shop the week before for the same fix and did not really want the job, he basically quoted me dealership rates. i found a local shop to do it for $260 for the labor but they drug me thru thorns on the parts, another $255.00 for the manifold, gasket, studs and inner fender rivets.
its fixed now, the manifold ended up being cracked

Sal-XK
09-19-2014, 07:13 PM
That sucks the guy wouldn't do it. That shop charged you about 3-3.5 hrs of labor to do the job at full rate. That is pretty standard rate around here anyways and about the correct amount of book time. Not sure how much the part cost but that seems reasonable to me as well. Things are expensive when you have to hire someone else to do the work. At least it's fixed, their's nothing worse than an exhaust leak I hate that.

johnr
09-20-2014, 12:16 PM
That sucks the guy wouldn't do it. That shop charged you about 3-3.5 hrs of labor to do the job at full rate. That is pretty standard rate around here anyways and about the correct amount of book time. Not sure how much the part cost but that seems reasonable to me as well. Things are expensive when you have to hire someone else to do the work. At least it's fixed, their's nothing worse than an exhaust leak I hate that.

it was not easy money so he did not want the job. hell if it was easy I would have done it my self. i have been putting long hours in at work plus we are planning to take up to MI next month and just did not want to F with it. everything I have had to do on this thing has fought me tooth and nail.