PDA

View Full Version : Getting Set to get the MOD 6" SL installed

pjmjr508
10-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Jon is checking with SL to see if the items that did not arrive in the lift is needed or not. If not I will be getting all of it installed this coming weekend.

Before I do this I want to run the setup past you just to make sure nothing was missed or had the wrong impression on what need to be done.
Front:
SL Kit (full Kit)
Using OME HD front springs with 1 coil cut off
5100 Adjustable Struts set to .75
Rustys 1/2" Strut spacer (already have it on the XK for the OME HD setup)
JBA UCA's (latest GEN) (already have it on the XK for the OME HD setup)
RCV Axles
New LCA's

Rear:
JBA 6" coils
Fox 12" remote res shock (7/8's shaft)
2 sets of Matt's 1/2 coil spacers, 1 " per side. I will only use these if needed to make level.

Set of 315's rubber all the way around.

Question I have for the front, do I still use the SL Strut 4" spacer even tho I am using the OME HD springs? I thought I read on here that it will be to high if I use the SL 4" spacer.

If I do use the SL strut 4" spacer, other than the shocks & springs I am replacing with the Fox & JBa's one I got. I am to use the entire kit right?
I want to make sure all is right before dropping it off.
Thx for the input all.

I know I will need to replace the Front & rear DS & also the rear UCA & rear LCA too, those will be done one at a time & with in the next 6 months

Matt
10-06-2014, 04:32 AM
Yeah you'll definitely need the 4" sl spacer, but dont use the sl coil preload spacer.

You might not need the Rustys strut spacer either. They're easy enough to add later so id leave them out, get everything on, let it settle for week or so then adjust front&rear height with spacers as needed.

Looking forward to seeing this beast!

07JeepXK
10-07-2014, 04:30 AM
X2 on what Matt said. Use the 4 inch spacer above te strut that Superlift provides but don't install the preload spacers when assembling the struts after you cut the coil off the OME springs. I would start with the lowest setting on the 5100's and see how it sits first after it levels out. From there if need be you can adjust the strut for more lift and add Matt's rear spacers if the XK isn't level to your liking or if you need a hair more lift to clear those 35's.

Make sure you check out the rear pinion angle after the lift is installed. I believe a few members have installed rear adjustable upper control arms to get the pinion angle set of it was an issue. Yours might be fine once everthing is installed. Can't wait to see it done!

Matt
10-07-2014, 05:25 AM
Just remembered. ... not sure if you noticed in my thread that after installing my 5100s my front sat lower than I expected so I ordered some strut spacers. But after a day or two of driving the front actually raised 1/2" to exactly where I wanted it. I think there was some stiction in the guides/seals of the struts and they needed a few miles to break in.

I've never had that happen before. So it might be worth mentioning to your mechanic to take it for a ride to bounce the suspension around before the initial alignment.

lekmedm
10-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Make sure you check out the rear pinion angle after the lift is installed. I believe a few members have installed rear adjustable upper control arms to get the pinion angle set of it was an issue. Yours might be fine once everthing is installed. Can't wait to see it done!

I installed the rear adjustable UCAs to fix the pinion angle. OK, Matt installed them, but I brought beer! Anyway, there's a thread around here somewhere with pictures. It might be in the warning to those with superlifts thread.

06JeepXKHEMI
10-07-2014, 08:01 AM
Are you thinking of regearing to the 4.10s they have available?? Has anyone done it yet?

pjmjr508
10-07-2014, 06:51 PM
Thx all for the info, I will be getting the rear LCA & UCA when I have money.

Matt I will have the shop check that. I am also thinking with the bumper & winch might make it hang low, will see when installed.

Not thinking 4.10 right now as no money for it.

I set a budget of 5K for this & I have gone to 6k with everything I have done so far. So the wife will kill me if I put another penny into this lift right now lol.

I do thank all of you for the help. My head has else where & this XK helps me keep my head clear & don't want to screw it up.

Sal-XK
10-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Thx all for the info, I will be getting the rear LCA & UCA when I have money.

Matt I will have the shop check that. I am also thinking with the bumper & winch might make it hang low, will see when installed.

Not thinking 4.10 right now as no money for it.

I set a budget of 5K for this & I have gone to 6k with everything I have done so far. So the wife will kill me if I put another penny into this lift right now lol.

I do thank all of you for the help. My head has else where & this XK helps me keep my head clear & don't want to screw it up.

Dude your wife is a saint! Just saying.

pjmjr508
10-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Dude your wife is a saint! Just saying.

LOL Thx Dude, She has to she puts up with my crazy ass

pjmjr508
10-10-2014, 10:20 PM
Quick question
OME HD Front Springs I need to have 1 coil cut off. Does it matter if the cut coil is the top or the bottom coil? I thought it would be the top coil, but want to make sure. It's at the shop now & they are asking which way I want done. They will be starting in the morning.

Dave answered this ? via FB
"Bottom. The top one is flattened off to suit the mount, the lower isn't and has a bevel to suit, so cut the lower."

Thx again dave

pjmjr508
10-12-2014, 09:30 PM
some pics from get the new tires mounted & from the shop doing my lift

pjmjr508
10-12-2014, 09:34 PM

pjmjr508
10-12-2014, 09:36 PM

pjmjr508
10-12-2014, 09:37 PM

hope to pick up tomorrow night after work.

pjmjr508
10-12-2014, 10:11 PM
I have some questions for the members that have installed the SL with the AEV ESP recalibration unit and also have the Flashpaq programmer.
Do you set the tire size on both units?
Do you need to set the flashpaq back to stock before adding the AEV ESP Unit?

Matt
10-13-2014, 04:39 AM
PJ, I'd put it back to stock, install the EGR and then program the tire size with the superchips. Might not have to put it back to stock but it's easy enough.

http://www.theultimatejeep.com/showthread.php?2066-Superlift-System-Flashpaq-EGR-Module&p=37394&viewfull=1#post37394

lekmedm
10-13-2014, 04:52 AM
I have some questions for the members that have installed the SL with the AEV ESP recalibration unit and also have the Flashpaq programmer.
Do you set the tire size on both units?
Do you need to set the flashpaq back to stock before adding the AEV ESP Unit?

Set it back to stock, install AEV, use Flashpaq exclusively for programming.

Matt
10-13-2014, 05:01 AM
I have a feeling seeing PJ's lift is going to put me over the edge.... i'm thinking SL order after Christmas....

lekmedm
10-13-2014, 10:45 AM
I have a feeling seeing PJ's lift is going to put me over the edge.... i'm thinking SL order after Christmas....

AWESOME!!! I hope you have a heater for the shop!

Matt
10-13-2014, 01:44 PM
I do... lol but it won't matter since I won't have a free weekend until late March

luckyse7ens
10-14-2014, 03:15 PM
I do... lol but it won't matter since I won't have a free weekend until late March

I can relate to that! :cool:

pjmjr508
10-14-2014, 03:28 PM
I am very happy with this beast now.
Hub to Fender for the front as of lastnight with some miles on it.
FP 26"
FD 25"
I have 3 issues that came up after the lift.
Sounds like the new RCV axles are binding- will put the OEM's back on to see if that corrects that.
The alignment shop could not get the caster within limits
Have warning lights on now- I did not reset back to stock before adding the AEV unit- This week I will remove the AEV unit & then put back to stock & then install it again to see if that fixes that issue.

The guy that installed this lift stated that it is a lot bigger than he thought it was going to be. He said he really likes how it turned out, So am I. I will say this tho, getting in & out of this thing now is giving me one hell of a work out, I am short and I have to pull myself up by the Oh **** handle just to get in.

thx guys for you help

Matt
10-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Sadly you wouldn't be the first with rcv issues.... at least they're good with warranty but too many guys seem to have this issue

Caster is tough to keep in spec on these vehicles. But as long as its positive and the vehicle tracks straight its nothing to worry about.

See if you can pull any codes with the superchips. All wheel speed sensors plugged back in (all the way in)?

You think getting in is an issue.... wait till you try getting that spare down! Lol

lekmedm
10-15-2014, 04:45 AM
I will say this tho, getting in & out of this thing now is giving me one hell of a work out, I am short and I have to pull myself up by the Oh **** handle just to get in.

thx guys for you help

That's one of the reasons I ordered a Steel Armadillo slider set. They will give everyone a step up! :D

06JeepXKHEMI
10-15-2014, 06:18 AM
Any pics?!?!!!

Sal-XK
10-15-2014, 03:00 PM
Can't wait to see it being flexed out. Let me know what effect the lift has on parts and MPG's

lekmedm
10-15-2014, 04:37 PM
Can't wait to see it being flexed out. Let me know what effect the lift has on parts and MPG's
I can tell you it has a negative effect because lift ($$$) + negative MPGs = crying wallet.

Sent from wherever my Jeep takes me.

pjmjr508
10-15-2014, 09:49 PM
I didn't really do much today as it was pouring rain and my lil girl was sick, she would not let me out of her sight.
These are pics from the night I got it back. 241524162417

I will find out if it is the rcv axles are what is making all the freaken noise up front by putting my OEM ones back in this weekend. I am dropping it back off friday night after work for him to fab the front skid that came with the bumper to work with the new lift as it changed the mounting locations. I'm still working on the issue with the AEV unit setting off the BAS & TC lights on the dash. I tried driving with it removed tonight and ever turn I made the TC light on the dash was flashing along with killing power.

I have maybe 100 miles on it so far & a few things:
Tires howl more than I thought. They are a MT so its kinda expected, but this one is kinda loud.
It rides a lot different than when just the OME setup. Unsure if the fact it is a lot taller or it is the tires being to stiff?

I will be taking more pics once all is done.

Matt
10-16-2014, 03:19 AM
PJ, what happens if you dont use the aev module at all and program the tire size with the superchips?

And check your tire pressure. They might be inflated too high

06JeepXKHEMI
10-16-2014, 06:20 AM
Man that thing is a BEAST!!! Looks great man, you'll get used to the difference in the ride and work out the kinks, modding Jeeps is never an easy task!

pjmjr508
10-16-2014, 10:18 AM
PJ, what happens if you dont use the aev module at all and program the tire size with the superchips?

And check your tire pressure. They might be inflated too high
So far when I run with out the AEV & superchips on every turn I make the TC kicks in. I have not tried just the superchips on it yet.

Was thinking the same thing on the tires. They are 10 ply E load rated tires that I have set to 40 psi.

Sal-XK
10-16-2014, 10:39 AM
I ran MT's once. Great tires but I don't like the noise so I just go with AT's now. Dropping the pressure will soften them up but eat into MPG's so its a balance thing. I would try just using the super-chips and see what happens. That stinks those axles are making noise especially for how much they cost.

pjmjr508
10-16-2014, 12:01 PM
I ran MT's once. Great tires but I don't like the noise so I just go with AT's now. Dropping the pressure will soften them up but eat into MPG's so its a balance thing. I would try just using the super-chips and see what happens. That stinks those axles are making noise especially for how much they cost.

I will try the superchips only at lunch to see if that helps.
I am pissed about the axles too, I will be on the phone with them after I get the confirmation it is them that is causing all the noise.

pjmjr508
10-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Well I tried while on lunch going just the SC programming with out the AEV completely and every turn I did setoff the TC light on the dash. So I will have to install the AEV & just deal with the warning lights being on until I can get resolved via AEV,

06JeepXKHEMI
10-16-2014, 02:56 PM
I ran my MTRs at 36 psi I think, Id try lowering as well and do a chalk test make sure your patch is still good

pjmjr508
10-16-2014, 02:59 PM
I ran my MTRs at 36 psi I think, Id try lowering as well and do a chalk test make sure your patch is still good

will do, thx for the info

Sal-XK
10-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Hopefully AEV will have some answers for you and its something simple.

pjmjr508
10-16-2014, 08:03 PM
I fixed the AEV issue.
in the instructions it had in bold print do not connect the leads in both the spots on the unit. Found out that it was only ment for that spot in the instructions as in the next section you are to put the connectors on both spots. It was very clear as the shop guy made the same mistake as I did.
Now have to work on the RCV axle issue.

lekmedm
10-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Instructions are for sissies! LOL

(Glad you figured it out!)

pjmjr508
10-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Instructions are for sissies! LOL

(Glad you figured it out!)

LOL